Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Things to see in Italy

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 05:26 AM
Default Things to see in Italy

Im just wondering if there is anything i should make sure i see while im in Italy. Im actually leaving Wednesday night. Im going to Rome, Venice, Florence and London at the end b/c thats where im flying outta, and im just gonna spend an extra couple of nights there.

Old 06-13-2006, 12:31 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Things to see in Italy

I spent a month in Italy. In Rome definitly the Collessium, The Trevi Fountain/Spanish Steps, the Vatican

In Florence the Duomo, the Pontivecchio. Florence has super leather and glass. Pardon the bad spelling.

The food is awsome. Definitly try the gelato, Italian ice cream , nothing better.

Lots of good local wine and olive oil. You will have a great time. If you can, I would try to see Pompii. You can get a tour through most hotels. It is DEFINITLY worth seeing. Just be careful with your wallet and passport. There are alot of theives unfortunately. Be careful where you put down your stuff at outdoor cafes.

Old 06-13-2006, 02:49 PM
3rd Gear

i would check the water streets in venice

Old 06-13-2006, 03:12 PM
5th Gear

ORIGINAL: beefski

I spent a month in Italy. In Rome definitly the Collessium, The Trevi Fountain/Spanish Steps, the Vatican

In Florence the Duomo, the Pontivecchio. Florence has super leather and glass. Pardon the bad spelling.

The food is awsome. Definitly try the gelato, Italian ice cream , nothing better.

Lots of good local wine and olive oil. You will have a great time. If you can, I would try to see Pompii. You can get a tour through most hotels. It is DEFINITLY worth seeing. Just be careful with your wallet and passport. There are alot of theives unfortunately. Be careful where you put down your stuff at outdoor cafes.
beefski named every spot i was going to say...he hit every good spot i can remember seeing...there are some amazing clubs (they're kind of a 1/2 club, 1/2 rave) with no age limit so have fun!! and do watch your wallet, don't keep it in your back pocket. italian girls love americans too! oh and contrary to beefski's advise, you'll want to stay away from the gelato [:'(] sorry beef

Old 06-13-2006, 03:27 PM
2nd Gear

I ate gelato almost every day with no ill effects. Don't know why bent would say to avoid. Pizza is great there. In a resturant it is served uncut and thin. In a pizzaria it is served by weight (grams) not by the slice. Their paper products are not the best since they have no forrests to make paper products. Toilet paper is a little rough. Get familar with using a biday as most place have them.

The water ices are really good as well, lemon was my favorite.

Also in Rome check out the Circus Maximus, you can almost here the chariot races, think Ben Hurr.

Their water can by a little tough. So drink wine!! Italians love american music in the clubs. The women are beautiful, beaches are topless. That's the norm for them. They don't shave under their arms though. The subway system in Rome is very limited. Every time the dig they hit ruins. Once that happens no more digging is alowed. You can take the subway to the Vatican, very easy.

Walking is usually the easiest way to get around. Just be careful the traffic in Rome is worse that NYC. Drivers will not care that there are pedestrians. Any space for a car in traffic somebody will be trying for it. Most cars are Fiat and standard transmissions.

Have fun and post some pic when you get back.

Old 06-13-2006, 03:50 PM
3rd Gear

Have a great time. That is an awesome trip!

Old 06-13-2006, 04:38 PM
5th Gear

i didn't mean it makes you sick or anything, i just didnt like it.

the night life is definitely the best part of italy, sleep in late and be prepared lots of late nights.

Old 06-13-2006, 05:19 PM

well the only thing that sucks is my bros not going with me so its just me and my parents. I will be drinking and all with them, but i dont think i will be making it to the night clubs. UNfourtanetly.

WE already have a reserved tour for the vatican on when ever we are there, and for flourence we are going to all the designer outlets! Maybe ill find some good stuff. The good news is that one of the hotels we r staying at is the number 1 club or bar (not sure which it is) in the town. So i will deff. check it out for a lil. And i do have my own room so it will make things easier.

Old 06-13-2006, 05:33 PM

ooo a few more things. In venice im staying on the canals.

I list the hotels im staying in. Gotta love having reward points, all these hotels are free except for the one in london.

http://danieli.hotelinvenice.com/main_en.htm?source= venice
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...e_Tuscany.html florence
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/westin...?propertyID=70 Rome
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/luxury...propertyID=412 London

Old 06-13-2006, 06:00 PM
Senior Administrator

You said Venice, right? OK, here's what you do:

When you get off teh train head straight through teh statzione (pronounced STAT-zee-ohn-A) and down teh steps. Hang a left and dodge all teh Africans selling things off their blankets. It's moderately illegal to buy stuff from them, anyway, but, most times no one cares. Someone mentioned watching your wallet... this is VERY true, ESPECIALLY in teh tourist places like Fierenze (Florence to you Americans) and Venezia (Venice). Some of teh BEST pickpockets in teh world make their livings in those of places. The resturuants all pretty much have teh same menu, and food of equal quantity/quality, so stop at whichever one strikes your fancy. ***Look for a little glass shop with some of teh most AMAZING glassware and statues you'll EVER see. It should be somewhere within teh 1st 1/4 mile, near to teh Statzione, I blieve. The awning is green&white striped, if I remember, and it'll say Murano glass (see: #2, below), either on teh awning, or in the (rather small) window. The shop is MUCH BIGGER inside than it appears from the street. Go in, look around, you won't regret it, even if you're not inclined to purchase any glass... If you break down and buy something from here DON'T take it with you, you'll prolly just break it and hate yoruself. They ship WORLDWIDE***

edyt: you hafta stop at in one (any one) of teh little mom&pop wine stores and pick up some Muscato (it's cheap, sweet, and not very potent. kinda like a double-strength wine cooler without teh fruity flavors) while you're wandering around. Do it early, because teh mom&pop joints give way to teh trendier shops teh closer you get to the Piazza...

So, anyway, IF you've got teh time, there are four places you want to visit in Venice:
1. The Piazza de San Marco, which can be found by locating a following teh signs, situated just about ANYWHERE in every intersection. It'll usually be a stone in teh side or corner of a building, anywhere from teh second-story down to eyeball level... You'll hafta check frequently, to stay on track. They'll say Piazza de San Marco, or P. San Marco, or some variation, with an arrow pointing teh way. If you wanna impress someone (I usta do this ALL the time, tell whoever you're with that you know, just KNOW where it is, and follow th esigne, but don't let THEM know about teh signs. You'll come across like some sort of navigational genuis. Finding your way back to teh Statzione is a bit more difficult. Either try to reverse teh P. de San Marco signs (not the best way, sine most signs point TO teh Piazza from ALL directions, but it can be done), or take a water taxi <---Jazz's personal recommendation, plus, you'll get some good photo ops.

2. The island of Murano, for the GLASS. I think you hafta book a tour, but I'm not 100% sure of that. The link should provvide info...

3. The Bridge of Sighs. I don't remember EXACTLY where it's at, BUT, if you're following teh signs for P. de San Marco from the Statzione you'll pass by it. It's easy to spot because it' be down one of teh side streets and it's a W - I - D - E bridge with vendors stands going up teh middle of it. Follow the streets along side teh bridge for the best snapshots, then head up the bridge and do some shopping. The Bridge use to be teh last place prisoners could be seen before shuffling off to prison. Come to think of iit, tour teh prison, too, if it's open when you get there. It's got a pretty restrictive tour schedule, if memory serves.

4. The canals, themselves. You can catch a Gondola just about anywhere, but expect to pay through teh nose. They run about $35-$50/hour, if memory serves, but you'll see some interesting stuff and photo ops not available on a walking tour.

MAN I wish I could go with you... Any room in your luggage?

Quick Reply: Things to see in Italy