Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Test drove the new Rabbit + GTI

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 12:37 AM
2nd Gear
Default Test drove the new Rabbit + GTI

Test Drive: 2007 4-door Rabbit 2.5L with 5-speed manual, coming from a 2001.5 Audi A4 Quattro with a 5-speed.

I got off work at 4:30 and went down to the local VW dealership to check out the new rabbit. I test drove a 5-speed manual, mated to a 2.5L n/a (only engine choice available).

They didn't have any 2-door 5-speed models except for the ones in the detail shop, so I test drove a 4-door model.

Transmission: The clutch felt like a honda clutch (shorter throw than Audi, early engagement), and I stalled it 4 or 5 times before I really got it down good. The shifts were short and crisp, but the shifter was tall. I didn't so much like the lack of space in neutral and between gears.

Engine: The engine sounded nice, had sort of a supercharged whistle to it. As expected because it has an odd number of cylinders, it wasn't the smoothest idle. It actually has more torque than the Audi, but you definately couldn't feel it. The acceleration seemed better than my A4, but I guess that should be expected since it is a lighter car. It has 150hp, so 20 less than my car. It felt fast, but it seemed a little bit lacking.

Interior: The interior was cloth, but seemed like really good quality. I liked the look of it, and it was really comfortable. Obviously I would be sacrificing some storage space by going from a sedan to a hatchback, but I don't carry much anyway. The pedal spacing was exellent for heel-toe shifting. The gas pedal was heavier than my A4.

Exterior: Exterior is nice, not much different than the GTI. Obviously not the same car though. Paint is good quality, no orange peel like you see on some American cars from the factory.

Overall, I really like it, but I need to look into the aftermarket options for the 2.5L and also go test drive the GTI.

----------

2006 Rabbit GTI 2.0T 6-speed manual.

Decided I needed a little more feel for the cars before I start thinking about a decision. I drove out to the dealership to test drive the new GTI.

Transmission: Pretty much the same as the Rabbit, with an extra gear. Again, smooth and crisp, although the shifter felt high. I didn't mention this in the original review, but instead of the nuetral position sitting between 3rd and 4th, it was actually between 1st and 2nd. I don't know if this will have any effects on the ability to shift quickly without missing gears. I really liked the fact that it had a 6th gear, when we were on the freeway, I put it in 6th at 75MPH and was only reving 2200RPMs. Sure beats the 3000RPM drone at 65MPH in my Audi. Same sort of clutch feel, only this time I was expecting it and didn't stall at all.

Engine: Definately has more power than the 2.5 or 1.8T. Revs fast and smooth. Turbo lag is almost nothing. For only 30hp more than my Audi, it is a signifigant difference in power (not as fat as my Audi, obviously). Engine note is good, and it actually ported through the dash board for a more signifigant effect, although never felt like it was going to make my lose my fillings or drone on for hours.

Interior: As stated before, it was specifically engineered to channel noise from the engine bay, but does so nicely. I test drove a model with leather, but sat in one with cloth afterwards for comparison. The leather seems more like its for luxory, the cloth feels better. Everything seems nicely fit, trunk space is good for a hatchback. The Rabbit has rubber pedals, while the GTI has aluminum. I have always been wary of aluminum pedals, but found that they were perfect. Again, excellent heel-toe spacing.

Exterior: Not much different than the Rabbit, other than a different body kit and honeycomb grills, and GTI badging.

Overall, nice car, much fast then the Rabbit and my A4. One thing that caught my eye was that the rear did not have coilover suspension. The ride is incredably smooth. I was going 90mph and didn't even notice it. No wind noise, no shakes, etc. This is looking like the #1 choice right now if I can afford it.

Old 07-03-2006, 12:40 AM
4th Gear
Default RE: Test drove the new Rabbit

Good review.

It's not a car that appeals to me, but I like hearing how it ran. I test drove a 330 BMW this weekend, but I think I will stick that on another thread.

Old 07-03-2006, 12:22 PM
2nd Gear

I was wondering about the rabbit myself, nice to hear a review of it. Just sounds like the car is un-decided right now, seeing as they just released it. I saw a commercial the other day, and didn't know what it was. I guess VW had a "rabbit" a while ago?

Old 07-03-2006, 12:31 PM
2nd Gear

Yes the rabbit has a long history with vw. Its nice to see they are making a more competive car for the new car market. It has a lot of bang for the buck and vw needed that since the jetta and golf have went out of control

Old 07-04-2006, 01:18 AM
1st Gear

You guys are creeping me out by talking about the Rabbit as if it's a completely different car, rather than a left-field rebadging effort by VW in a vain attempt to boost sluggish sales. You know an automaker is in trouble when it starts mining its past for catchy names, hoping that people will fail to smell through the marketing.

Having said that, I think VW missed an opportunity to rebadge the Phaeton as a Skoda

Old 07-04-2006, 01:22 AM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: HansBlix

You guys are creeping me out by talking about the Rabbit as if it's a completely different car, rather than a left-field rebadging effort by VW in a vain attempt to boost sluggish sales. You know an automaker is in trouble when it starts mining its past for catchy names, hoping that people will fail to smell through the marketing.

Having said that, I think VW missed an opportunity to rebadge the Phaeton as a Skoda

Agreed. I will never drive a VW again. I think they are a company that is going down fast and looking for something new.

Old 07-04-2006, 10:47 PM
2nd Gear

I don't really care if they call it a Golf or a Rabbit, I liked it either way.

Old 07-04-2006, 11:46 PM
2nd Gear

I think within the next 2 years, I will be switching to a VW TDI. Gas prices are just outrageous right now, and those TDI's can get 50 miles on the highway. That sounds alot better than 20. My wallet is starting to feel the burn of Premium $3.45 a gallon...

Old 07-05-2006, 02:39 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: KarlMarx

I think within the next 2 years, I will be switching to a VW TDI. Gas prices are just outrageous right now, and those TDI's can get 50 miles on the highway. That sounds alot better than 20. My wallet is starting to feel the burn of Premium $3.45 a gallon...

Ooooh, thats just the muesli-eating, birkenstock-wearing Seattle resident in you talking

Just kiddin, I wear nothing but birkenstocks and used to live in the Seattle area too. I actually really like the Golf TDIs - you can maintain your savings account and your dignity, all without succumbing to those naff-looking hybrids. One of my friends has a 2year old Golf TDI, that thing just refuses to run out of fuel!

Old 07-05-2006, 03:36 AM
2nd Gear

I love the new GTI's.