Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Teenagers - Thread 2

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 03:21 PM
Default RE: Teenagers - Thread 2

ORIGINAL: ckandes1

I know people who are spoiled and are thoroughly convinced that they understand the worth of a dollar. But you can tell when they defend themselves that they dont. You can feel the worthlessness radiating off of them.
I'm in my 30s and still don't completely understand the worth of a dollar. (It's worth $2, right?)

Old 07-16-2007, 05:36 PM
1st Gear

I don't understand all this BS about the worth of a dollar...all I know is if you want something, you gotta work for it. That simple. So what if Johnny Smith's rich parents got him a new S4? There are plenty of people like that in my area, and it really doesn't bother me. They drive a nice car now, they'll get into a good college because of their parents' money, they'll get a nice-paying job from going to a good college, and life will continue. Just how the cookie crumbles. Things aren't always how they seem, too. I just found out about one of my friends (who drives a nice, new, bright yellow modded Evo), that he's been working 16 hour days the past week or so. His parents are wealthy, he doesn't need anything, who would have thought?

When I got my license about a year and a half ago my parents gave me one of the family cars, a '92 100. It broke down on me after a couple months--they said tough luck, that was your car. So I sold it. Bought a POS old Mazda with the money. Fixed it up, sold it. Bought nicer 90CS. Fixed it up, sold it. Now I'm driving a halfway decent Saab 900S, and I plan on getting an A4 at the end of summer. I don't think the problem with kids these days is not understanding the worth of a dollar, but not understanding the worth of what they have. I know what I got from my parents (without that first car I would never have enough money to buy a car outright), and if I work enough I can get nicer things.

Anyways, continue the discussion of materialistic, no-good teens.

Old 07-16-2007, 06:35 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: audilover04

I'll admit im spoiled. I got my Audi for my 17th birthday. I realize i dont understand the value of a dollar as well as others but i am thankful for what i have and try not to take it for granted.

A FREE AUDI AND YOU CHOSEAN AUTOMATIC????? WTF????? [:-]

Old 07-16-2007, 08:50 PM
4th Gear

I'm 17, since day one my parents have told me they will buy me a car.. but there are rules. I have to mantain a job at all times if I want to keep the car, I have to pass school, I have to pay insurance monthly, and occasionally pay for gas. I have done all those things, its been nearly 9 months, I turn 18 in three days. On the 19th, I am moving out to Arizona to live with a friend and go back to the school I attended my freshman year. Out there I will have a lot more responsibility, and will have to pay partial rent to my friend. I agree with what was said in the past, working gives you the ability to understand the "value of the dollar", it really is tough to earn money and you gotta start at the bottom and bust your *** to the top.. but thats just life. I'm very fortunate to own a beauitful 2003 Audi A4, every pay check goes into it one way or another. Have about 1500-2000$ in mods so far, around 3k so far spent in insurance and I make sure its matnienced correctly, and I wash it clean it, take care of it.... gotta respect stuff, especially when its a nice gift from your parents.

My original budget on a car was 12,000-14,000.. I ended up with a 17k Audi out of pure luck... my dad called a friend who owns his own "Dealership" that buys cars off auctions out in Californa.. told him the deal we have sitting infront of us, 2003 Audi A4 1.8TQM 38k miles, clean! for 17k out the door, and his friend told him to buy that car, I was in love with it.. so luckily things went my way. I'm happy about that, and I'll keep on modding!

Old 07-17-2007, 01:40 AM

Wow...this threads a year old. I guess I'll just tell my story.

When I got my license at 16, my parents were nice enough to let me drive their 1988 jeep wrangler (keep in mind, I was born in 1987, so it was really old and crappy). The jeep had major carb issues, broke down several times, and was just a major pita. However, I was really happy that I had something to drive regardless of its age. Meanwhile, I worked my butt off making minimum wage at mcdonalds to save up for my own car. By the time I was 18, I was able to purchase a 96 A4 with over 140K miles for just under $4000. That eventually got totaled (other drivers fault), and I then bought my current car, a 97 1.8T with 82,000 miles for $5000. At this point, I'm 19 and have had my new car for about 6 months. It feels great knowing that I've earned every cent that was spent on my cars. Also, all of my friend's parents bought them cars, pay for their insurance, gas, college education, and pretty much everything else. Part of me wishes that I could be as fortunate as them, but the other part can take pride in that I am very independent and don't need to rely on anyone else for my needs.

Oh well...I just can't wait to get out of college and make some decent money (and buy a newer car)

Old 07-17-2007, 09:00 AM

wow you guys are effing lucky as he!!

im 17 and bought my car with my money and everything done to my car was from my money that i eared from saving money and working 2 jobs...which was a mistake cuz then i dont got time to drive so i quit one job and spend more money on gas now..WITH MY MONEY!

Old 07-17-2007, 09:41 AM
1st Gear

Well heres my story im 19 and i had been saving since i was 16 for a car. 90% of the money i got went into mutal funds so that it could grow.My dad told me to do this and i trust him so thats what i did. When i got my linsence i shared my dads car 1993 Toyota camery now with 335xxx miles on it. (man those things last forever) then close to the end of my senior year in highschool my grandfather decided that he didnt need his car. Him and his wife share a car now and they go everywhere together. He told me that he would sell me his car for $1000 its a A4 2.8 then with 82,000 miles on it soo i said Gramps i love you ok. For graduation he gave me $800 soo i aqucired a A4 for $200 i love my grandpa sooooo much its not even funny. I do work though 40+ hours a week and pay for gas but not insurance. My dad said as long as i have a job and do my chores(which involve feeding the dogs, washing them(when nessicary) cleaning the house, room clean, splitting wood for the woodstove etc) he will pay for my insurance. I love my parents they are awsome.

Thats my loong story

Old 07-18-2007, 09:56 AM
CLX
Zombie Defense Force

Heh, a lot of you guys are 'lucky' in comparison. I've worked pretty much full-time since I was 14, and pretty much everything I own I've bought for myself.

Old 07-18-2007, 04:45 PM
2nd Gear

im 17, and i homeschool and work full time to pay for my audi. my dad signed for it, and i love him for it, but i have made every payment and paid for every mod.

Old 07-18-2007, 05:52 PM
4th Gear

both my audis i paid for. sure for my second one my parents helped me get a loan but thats about it, i pay insurance and all that good stuff.on a side note teenagers need to learn how to freaking drive. ive grown up and it sprobably just the adult in me talking but i know so many kids in riced out subis and eagle talon that drive like @$$holes, some of them bought the cars themselves the other had their parents buy it for them either out of neccesisty (cough, Bulls*it) or paid for their mods. i see these kids trying to do AWD lauches by burning the hell out of the clutches or street racing down residential areas.then talking about how good of a driver they are. Freaking tards.

Quick Reply: Teenagers - Thread 2