Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Teenagers - Thread 2

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 11:17 AM
Default RE: Teenagers - Thread 2

I bought my 98' A4 2.8 two summers ago with my own money from my mutual funds that I had been saving up since I was 14. I haven't lived much of a rough life, but lived IMO, comfortably...with paying for everything on my own (college tuition, rent, food, gas, CARS). My parents wanted me to understand what it would be like after I graduated, before I graduate so I was prepared...and I can't thank them enough. The only thing my parents keep payin for is my cell phone bill cuz they keep forgettin to switch it in to my name . Anyway I'm 22 and can barely pay for the rest of college (1 yr left) cuz i drained my account to pay for this car haha. well worth it tho! I'm really in deep s tho now cuz i just bought some 18" Flik Arctics (gloss black) and now have to save every penny for my next two semesters.

Old 07-06-2006, 07:26 PM
4th Gear

HA! I was 21 when I got my 96 12V

Worked for 5-months (2) jobs with very little sleep.

Then I got it sold it & got 99.5 Turbo

Got promoted so I can afford it now.

Hopefully Ill get promoted again in September then maybe keep this car for another year save up and get a used S4.

Ill b3 22 next w33k.

Old 07-07-2006, 03:34 AM
4th Gear

18 and got a 96 a4 2.8qm. i paid.

Old 07-07-2006, 04:46 AM
Site Moderator

Id have to say i had a pretty decent childhood. When i was 17 my parents bought me a 96 ford probe gt. For high school at the time (99) it was a nice ride. And it had its problems during my college years that my parents pretty much paid for most of the repairs. But after college they took that car back and used it on a trade for my dad and i myself am on my own now with a good job and bought my s4 for a pretty penny. I dont mind that parents who are alright on their funds helping their children out. But it is important to acknowldge what they do do for you and be appreciative not a snob.

Old 07-07-2006, 06:48 PM
1st Gear

20 yrs old here (well, 21 on the 19th).......Looked at Audi's ever since I was 16.......and when I finally knew I was making enough money I decided to buy it......2003 A4 3.0QM 27k when I bought it.....I signed the loan myself with no co-signer, and pay the monthly payment entirely by myself.....Now I do feel like I am spoiled by my parents in the fact that they help me out when I need it.....such as $10 here or there but for the most part I pay for all my own stuff........I feel I respect the value of a $ and in the same respect am very grateful for the help my parents give me

Old 07-08-2006, 05:59 AM

personally i think that knowing the value of a dollar comes down to working. If u dont have a job and u have a car its hard to understand the value of a dollar. Also if u have been given the money as someone has passed on. Although it is hard to be able to buy a car when ur 16 or 20 when most of us are going to school full time and just trying to pay for food and beer, paying for a car is just not possible. However we dont neccesarily need an Audi to get that done.

Personally i think knowing what money is comes down to having bills to pay. Most of us dont have the chance to pay for a car. I know if it wasnt for my dad taking the lil money i had and investing it for me since i was around 5 i wouldnt be able to afford my car. (i know most of that is my work).

I think paying for gas, insurance, maintence, food, rent, school books etc... all help u understand the value of a dollar.

And to really screw with u now take that dollar to the UK and see how much its worth.

Old 07-08-2006, 06:55 PM
2nd Gear

im 20, worked for as a cable service technician for 3 years, i got a position as a senior tech and decided to treat my self to my audi for my new position. my parents never bought me ****. i was always told if u want something work for it and u will truly apprieciate it. which is true. insurance is a killer tho.

Old 07-08-2006, 09:02 PM
1st Gear

im 18 and work every day to pay for my car and toys. i pay 300 a month for insurance and the car i have been paying for my audi for about a little over a year i started with a 12,000 dollar loan (shipping if u wonder why its so high priced for a 2.8) now i have a bout 6 grand left. i have to work in about 20 min. actually so dont assume all younger kids with audis got them from there parents. i foudn it and bought it. also i just purchased a Canon 30D with lenses so that was about 2,200 i paid for all of it.

Old 07-08-2006, 10:29 PM

ihave to say buying it ur self is alot better. I can say that most of us are pretty much teh same. My parents pay for school, food and clothes i actually need (like suit for a wedding or school uniforms when i was in high school.

Although my parents do pay for my insurance and allow me to borrow money if i have a large maintence bill (its usually a loan of no more than 200).

Old 07-16-2007, 02:50 PM
1st Gear

got my audi a6 wen i was 16, for my own money

Quick Reply: Teenagers - Thread 2