Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

super turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2005, 02:32 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: super turbo?

Oh, OK. So is there a seperate inlet for the turbocharged air? I still dont understand how you would make 14 psi of boost if your only pushing 7 from each power source other than the air is entering the manifold at 2 seperate inlets. My idea was to have the supercharger run really low boost and feed it directly into the turbo charger.

Old 03-12-2005, 04:59 PM
Senior Administrator

So, do you want to use the supercharger to "Pre" spin the turbo? Spool them up at a lower rpm? Or, are you looking at the supercharger as the "air-pump" to run the turbo autonomously?

If the former, I think (anybody feel free to jump in with any wild-a$$'d comments to the contrary) that you’re looking at at situation where you’ll only get a certain amount of pressure form the super, since it’s belt driven, or, worst-case, if you Y-pipe them, and the turbo spins up and is generating full boost it will create back pressure within the super, which, by your definition is running at a lower boost. This back pressure will most likely create additional parasitic drag on the now useless super, robbing you of precious HP, unnecessarily.

If the latter, again, you'll have unnecessary parasitic drag from the super, since the turbo would only “see” whatever pressure the super pushes, and would spin as well, or better, off of the "free" exhaust pressure.

In the article the turbo is used to "over-pressure" the super. You get bottom end from the super, anyway, prior to the turbo spooling up, AND, additional PSI (people per square inch-heh heh) from the turbo once the exhaust puts a proper spin on the turbo impellers. The issue of parasitic drag is offset by the power the supercharger adds, instantaneously.

I think you’re still not quite understanding the principles involved. Let’s revisit the example in my most recent post:
Say you’ve got a normal flow of people through a revolving door (since a revolving door works most like a supercharger it seems the best way to help you visualize what’s happening). The revolving door is our supercharger, running at a constant RPM based on engine speed. Our “normal” flow would be one person per “V” in the rotating door, for iinstance. From there our people are ingested into the manifold, then into and out of our combustion chamber, then spit out the exhaust.

Running the turbo into the super (our revolving door) will allow us to squeeze two, or even three people per “V” in the revolving part of our door, which is still spinning at whatever speed it would without the help of the turbo. Being belt driven, as opposed to exhaust driven, it will always only ever spin at a constant percentage of engine speed. The turbo simply stuffs more people into each “V” each revolution, the into the manifold, and so on. Which is where we’ll get our 14PSI from two 7PSI devices.

I think if you were to allow yourself to look at it from a perspective of which provides the best volumetric efficiency you'll understand why a turbo into a super makes better sense. Not that you couldn't do it the other way around, but, would it make the best business case? The business of putting the most power to the pavement, that is. Running the super into the turbo cheats you out of the benefits of the supercharger, while still penalizing you with parasitic drag (and, nobody likes parasites, RIGHT people?). Doing it the other way around takes advantage of each devices strengths, without rendering either one a spectator to the process.

I shud be a teecher... I rilly, rilly shud.

Old 03-12-2005, 07:58 PM
1st Gear

someone do it..or this is all pointless discussion.....i say..we all donate a certain amount of money to a fund...and then do it on a car...

Old 03-13-2005, 09:36 AM
Banned

thanks for better explaining it to him AW

Old 03-13-2005, 06:24 PM
rs
2nd Gear

thanks alot AWD, seems you know a great deal about this topic, i got in an arguement with my friend sayin it was not possible. but after realizing superchargers run on belts, i thought there had to be a way

thanks again

keep the posts coming!

Old 03-13-2005, 08:37 PM
4th Gear

Of course it would work, but u would need to find a way to make it profitable.

Old 03-13-2005, 10:36 PM
Senior Administrator

You're very welcome RS. Not that I know a lot about the topic, just that I'm a quick study. After reading the post from the other board it was a simple matter to translate it into something that was easier to picture in our minds eyes. Years of teaching, in the Army, enabled me to find ways to explain things in many different ways. You just have to tailor your message to your audience. I just imagined you all as a buncha pre-schoolers who missed yer naps...

[sm=joke.gif]

Kidding...

A4NightRider wants to take up a collection to fund a proof-of-concept. Please send ALL monies DIRECTLY to me and we'll (eventually, heh-heh-heh) have our "SUPER-TURBO" Audi.
Mailto:
AWDAHOLIC
C/O Someplace you'll neva find me
WhereInTheHellIsRiverRouge, NotIn DC, 00000-0001

Old 03-14-2005, 02:14 AM
rs
2nd Gear

do u accept pay pal? lmao

Old 03-14-2005, 01:27 PM
Senior Administrator

"In God We Trust." All others' pay ca$h!

Old 03-15-2005, 06:30 PM
1st Gear

When I read the title this is all I could think of:

It goes on a BMW with a 4 Rotor Rotary engine in it. with the old setup they ran a 7.29 1/4 mile they now have 250 more RWHP with this turbo.

http://www.queenstsmash.com.au/v3/pages/news.php

Quick Reply: super turbo?