Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

The SUNDAY morning thread...

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 11:58 AM
Senior Administrator

BTW, my efforts seem, so far, to have paid off. Before, if I had Hulu.com up and running, invariably my POS HP (never gonna buy another HP product for as long as I am Black!!!) would BSOD. Left Hulu running ALL NIGHT (well, all early morning, up 'til now) and, surprise, surprise, no BSOD.

When I reinstalled checkpoint and ran the virus checker it quarantined something called (packed.win32.tdss.c). WHich I suspect is what had been the problem. Maybe if I stayed OFF the pr0n-sites... NAH!

Just need MORE PROTECTION!!!

Old 10-11-2009, 12:57 PM
Tech Guru

Originally Posted by CCA4
Colin, how's the new open office for Mac? The lack of compatibility there between MS Office and open office has been one of my big deal breakers for switching to Mac
I use open office on my windows machine all the time because my MS Office trial expired. Open Office lets you save documents in different formats. So I can save an OO document as .doc or .xls. Text documents (like papers for school) have always worked just fine for me in MS Word when I went to print them in my dorm's computer lab.

Old 10-11-2009, 12:59 PM
Tech Guru

Originally Posted by AWDaholic
BTW, my efforts seem, so far, to have paid off. Before, if I had Hulu.com up and running, invariably my POS HP (never gonna buy another HP product for as long as I am Black!!!) would BSOD. Left Hulu running ALL NIGHT (well, all early morning, up 'til now) and, surprise, surprise, no BSOD.

When I reinstalled checkpoint and ran the virus checker it quarantined something called (packed.win32.tdss.c). WHich I suspect is what had been the problem. Maybe if I stayed OFF the pr0n-sites... NAH!

Just need MORE PROTECTION!!!
I run Lavasoft Ad-Aware and McAfee anti-virus. Have had my PC for a year and still haven't had virus problems.

Old 10-11-2009, 01:22 PM
Senior Administrator

Originally Posted by airguard350
I run Lavasoft Ad-Aware and McAfee anti-virus. Have had my PC for a year and still haven't had virus problems.
I've run checkpoints firewall/anti-virus for something like 3-years-plus. This is the first time and, I'm 99% certain the fault is due to me updating my checkpoint software around the same time as my windows update was running.

Checkpoint's firewall also includes a/v. Checkpoint is among the best firewalls and I've worked with it, personally & professionally for nearly a decade. I trust it more than I do most of my friends. My secondary a/v is Avira. Touted because it is a lightweight resource non-intensive a/v solution every bit as good as the for-pay a/v's. Even with it running an active-scan I can run streaming vids w/o any latency issues.

Nah... I hit a quirk in the e-universe.

Old 10-11-2009, 03:05 PM
Administrator

Just got back from farmer's market.

What a great Sunday morning.

Old 10-18-2009, 09:39 AM
5th Gear

mornin everyone.

kinda cold this morning, heavy frost on the windows of the car (and boat) when I got up. About 29 degrees. Gonna grab some scrap wood and some tools and try to reinforce parts of the cabin of the boat today. The whole thing is nailed together plywood. Who the F' engineered this thing? Cabin sways a bit in rough water, we'll get that fixed today.

Old 10-18-2009, 11:54 AM
Senior Administrator

Cold here in DC, too! Into the 40's, which is how I LIKE it to be, this time of year. Peeps in this area are freezin their nips of, tho! I guess it's time to FINALLY put away the shorts & flip-flops until it warms back up, at the end of February

Happy Sunday Morning, AFers!

Old 10-18-2009, 12:27 PM
Administrator

lol so it's YOUR fault, Jazz. I'm hating this weather. I finally broke down and turned my heat on this morning, it was 58* in my apartment. Plus it's been raining for like a week straight, and NOone in NoVA can drive in the rain. It's like liquid stupid.

Old 10-18-2009, 01:40 PM
Senior Administrator

lol so it's YOUR fault, Jazz.
YEP!!! I take 100% of the blame. My sis-in-law has a default "I blame Jazz," setting for rain/snow/flaming meteorites (the ghey ones, not small rocks from space engulfed in fire). I only accept the blame for the rain & snow, however.

it was 58* in my apartment.
About that, here in Largo, too. Turned my heat on, too, and I almost NEVER do that before thanksgiving around these parts. Ch.4 Weatherman said it's around 15deg belwo normal for this time of year/area. What's strange is, the trees JUST started really turning, the last week or so. I was figuring on a late winter (even for DC) this year.

~NOone in NoVA can drive in the rain. It's like liquid stupid.
Not true! Truth IS, no one within a 50-mile radius of DC proper can drive in ANYTHING BUT dry, sunny weather. It's not just NoVA (gonna start a new campaign, and I'd like everyone within sight of these words to join me... Tell any/everyone you think NEEDS to hear this: If you are afraid to drive in inclement weather, STAY YO @$$ HOME!!!)

Old 10-18-2009, 02:20 PM
Administrator

Beautiful Sunday morning here in SoCal except it's getting hot already.

I want it to rainnnnnn!

Quick Reply: The SUNDAY morning thread...