Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

The SUNDAY morning thread...

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 11:49 AM
Senior Administrator

Beau, some advice on quitting (other quitters can confirm, if they managed to do it without those stupit patches, we don't NEEEEED no STEEEEENKENG PATCHES!)... Break yourself of the "triggers" first. There are 5 basic ones. 1) That "first-in-the-morning," smoke... Put it off for as looooong as you can before you cave in and succumb to the urge. You will find yourself going longer and longer into the day before you do, if you do. 2) The "last-one-before-bed"... MAKE yourself NOT have that one. Tell yourself you'll have it in the morning, then, see #1, above. The next two are harder... So, they will take an even HARDER amount of concentration. 3) When you drink. Smokers tend to smoke more when drinking. Especially when out drinking in bars & such. Try to NOT smoke. Of course, this will make the smoke around you that much more annoying by about 1,000,000X. 4) When someone lights up or is seen smoking on TV or in a movie you're watching. VEEEEERRRRY sneaky and SOOPER subliminal. If you're aware of it you'll start to see when/where it happens, and be better able to mentally defend against it. 5) The last one is the worst... Friends & family that light up WILL make you want to light up, too, just because you see them doing it. It, too, is subliminal, like the TV/movies thing. When you see it, you'll see it. Like with the "first-in-the-morning" trigger, try to put off joining in for as long as you can stand, and you'll find yourself standing NOT to join in for longer and longer periods of time.

If you have a spouse or S/O that smokes; and they don't want to quit WITH you... Well, let's just say you NEED to convince them to quit WITH you, or you two will annoy each other to the point where either a break-up, or DEATH is eminent. I won't go into details, but, yeah...

The above are all from my own personal observations, and are what I call I have used the 3-4 times in my life when I decided to (re)quit. FWIW, #5 is nearly always teh reason I get back into it.

Good luck!

Old 09-17-2012, 07:44 AM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

thanks for the words of advice and encouragement. not my first time quitting, so I know what lies ahead. a lot of truth to being around other people that smoke. that is pretty much how I got started in the first place and pretty much how I start again after every time I've quit. pretty sure this time it is all due to the mid-life crisis setting in. taken a new interest in my health and well-being. eating better, exercising more...etc. can definitely tell the effect that 25+ years of smoking has on the lungs.

any of you yutes that are reading this, that smoke or are thinking of starting, DONT.

Old 09-23-2012, 02:00 AM

Holy Carp! Another Sunday, already? Well I guess technically it is Sunday. I'm stuck at work. Things were going wonderfully, then, suddenly, without warning...the public expects service from their public servants. so out into the night I go. Now I'm practicing the art of report writing avoidance.

Hope everyone is doing well today.

Old 09-23-2012, 06:16 AM
4th Gear

Are you a cop?

Up early this morning because my "Hide the TV Cables in the Wall" project stalled last night because the spackling was taking forever to dry. Now its dry, and ready to be sanded, so the stupid spray on texture stuff can be applied. Every wall in my house is textured, making even the more basic wall repair project that much more difficult.

But the end results? A new power outlet behind where the Blu-Ray and DirecTV box shelf, an HDMI "outlet" and DirecTV "inlet" and center surround speaker wire all co-located with the outlet, and a new recessed power outlet and HDMI access behind the TV. Once it's all done, it should be pretty nice. And done in time for FOOOOOOTTTTTTBBAAAAAAALLLLLL!!!!

Happy Sunday e'ryone.

/rant

Old 09-23-2012, 12:40 PM
Administrator

I didn't even finish reading what you just said. It really sounded like a lot of work today.

Happy Sunday. I'm planning on taking off all four wheels on the Audi and switching out the spacers. More poke yo!

Old 09-30-2012, 01:18 AM
4th Gear

Well, it's officially Sunday morning. I'm stuck working from midnight to 6 am to help a guy out. So, I'll take my firsties now, so when I get home, I can get some decent sleep.

Happy Sunday everyone. Hope my fantasy players actually perform today.

Old 09-30-2012, 10:14 AM

Happy Sunday all!

Beautiful fall day here. Sunny, and warm, a bit of a chill in the shade. probably take the child for a little bit of a hike today. Anything to wear her out without being overly stressful on me.

Brad, to answer your earlier question, I'm not a cop. I'm a fireman

Old 09-30-2012, 11:14 AM
Tech Guru

Spending my Sunday morning watching "From Paris with Love." I feel it's one of John Travolta's better flicks.

Old 09-30-2012, 03:45 PM
Administrator

I wish I was there watching it next to you Pat.

I just woke up! Haha. I had a great night with the boys. Now it's time to clean the car.

Old 10-07-2012, 10:10 AM
4th Gear

Happy Sunday. Hooray for more football!

Quick Reply: The SUNDAY morning thread...