Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Stupid American Automakers...

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 12:54 PM
4th Gear
Default Stupid American Automakers...

even with Diamler Chrysler behind the wheel we get...

the Dodge Challenger SRT8...[>:]
http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/new_...wroom-Sizzle/5

....which boasts 425 bhp from its 6.1-liter Hemi V-8. The limited run of some 6000 '08 versions of the SRT8 are equipped only with the 5-speed automatic. The new 6-speed manual comes with standard Hill Start Assist (HAS), which helps the driver launch the car without rolling backwards on an incline.

Nissan, on the other hand gives us the GT-R... [:-]
http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/new_...wroom-Sizzle/6

...under the hood a 3.8-liter twin-turbo V-6 that pumps out 480 bhp and about 430 lb.-ft. of torque. Nissan claims that the GT-R runs to 60 mph in 3.5 seconds, which puts it in Porsche 911 Turbo territory. In fact, GT-R project chief, Kazutoshi Mizuno, says that the GT-R lapped the famed North Course at the NĂ¼rburgring faster than the Porsche 911 Turbo.

So in the time where unleaded fuel is topping $4 a gallon - we get a car that gives55 less bhp and uses nearly twice thef#^&ing fuel!?!?!? [:@]

Old 03-31-2008, 01:02 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: Stupid American Automakers...

Not only that, but it weighs like two tons and looks like a brick with some wheels! And the big three are bemoaning the end of performance cars because it's just soooo hard to get them to meet fuel consumption benchmarks... stupid, stupid, STUPID.

American carmakers FTMFL!

Old 03-31-2008, 01:06 PM
6th Gear

MA Mopar has done it again, and I'm loving it. Sorry if it offends anyone but I don't think iconic American muscle should not come from the factory with any kind of forced induction, there is something ethereal about an All motor engine and I'm still for it, screw gas if you buy a 6L engine you know what your getting yourself into.

I mean one of my dream cars has a 440 under the hood and a 6barrel carb, yeah it's not gonna sip gas by any means but the smile it will put on your face when you plant the pedal and get the back loose can't be beat.

I love MOPAR so I'm biased.

Also you need to consider their audiance, they are trying to recreate a muscle car Icon, so they need to stay true to the roots, and isn't the muscle car mantra "no replacement for displacement", I think there on the money with the engine. Also are you sure this new Hemi isn't using their new technology where they cut off half the cylinders while cruising to conserve fuel? It might equal itself out

(playing devils advocate)

Old 03-31-2008, 01:33 PM
2nd Gear

isn't the GT-R around 3900 lbs? I was just reading a little about it yesterday. orr jsut looking at the pics and specs, lol.

Old 03-31-2008, 02:14 PM

ORIGINAL: sweeds4

isn't the GT-R around 3900 lbs? I was just reading a little about it yesterday. orr jsut looking at the pics and specs, lol.
I dont know, but I saw it at the car show, and boy is that a huge bitch! I'd beleive 3900 lbs if you said so...

Old 03-31-2008, 02:22 PM
4th Gear

It is heavy but damn its quick. The 911 was the benchmark for the engineers and as expected surpassed it. As for the charger, I think they had the $1 a gallon days in mind when they built that thing. It's not too bad looking though.

Old 03-31-2008, 02:25 PM
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: Trey25

It is heavy but damn its quick. The 911 was the benchmark for the engineers and as expected surpassed it. As for the charger, I think they had the $1 a gallon days in mind when they built that thing. It's not too bad looking though.
I think they did a better job executing the design on the Chrysler 300c.

Old 03-31-2008, 02:31 PM
4th Gear

Gawd I hate that car. Too many wannabe gangsters rolling around on 20" chrome talking about "it looks like a bentley" No it doesn't you dumbass!

Old 03-31-2008, 02:47 PM
4th Gear

Screw the 300 - I'm with Trey on the gansta crap... [>:]

Don't get me wrong - I love the Challenger's styling. But in this day and age to built a gas guzzling pig is beyond stupid. Especially when you have the big 3 screaming they are losing money. Keep producing wasteful cars and you'll give an even BIGGER edge to the Japanese than they got during the oil embargo days in the 70's.

That's where Honda, Datsun (Nissan) and Toyota really got a foothold into the American market. Up to that point they were considered "toy" cars. Now look who's on top? Toyota

Old 03-31-2008, 02:52 PM
CLX
Zombie Defense Force

I thought that Daimler got out of Chrystler last year?

Quick Reply: Stupid American Automakers...