Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Starting in second gear?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 12:40 PM
1st Gear
Default Starting in second gear?

Hey everyone.

In addition to my Audi, I have a honda civic. I was driving my friend around, when he commented that I shouldn't start the car in second gear because I can ruin my transmission. This really doesn't make sense, because there is less force (ie. torque) going through the transmission, but he doesn't buy that argument.

So... what are your thoughts on starting in second (or third :-P)?

Thanks.

Old 03-02-2007, 12:43 PM
Default RE: Starting in second gear?

hard on the engine.

Old 03-02-2007, 12:50 PM
2nd Gear

What would be the point of doing that anyway?

Old 03-02-2007, 12:50 PM
1st Gear

"starting"
by this do you mean turning the key?????

Old 03-02-2007, 12:58 PM
2nd Gear

No I think that he means actually starting to move in second gear from a dead stop, as opposed to first. I have heard of other people doing it, just have no clue why anyone would...

Old 03-02-2007, 01:01 PM

the only reason I've ever heard its a good idea is if you have FWD car this would help you keep from spinning the front tires...

Old 03-02-2007, 01:15 PM
Site Moderator/Ninja

[&:] Im assuming u mean start moving - not turning the key right?

but i'd agree - its harder on the engine - thats what 1st gear is for..

Old 03-02-2007, 01:19 PM
1st Gear

yea its hatrder on the car!!! more so the clutch than anything !!
usefull in snow or ice ...
i notice he was driving his freind and not the other way around does this tell us something about the mate!!

Old 03-02-2007, 02:30 PM
Senior Administrator

You do it in low-traction situations, helps lessen the torque multiplication that 1st gear offers. I've done it, accidentally (hell, I even pulled off in 3rd, once, in a 7er BMW I useta own), on occasion, in almost every manual transmissioned car I've ever owned/driven. Trucks & Busses do it ALL the time, as 1st is usually a "granny-gear" for crawling up STEEP inclines. The only extra wear it really gives is to teh clutch. If yiou LIKE slow starts, and don't mind replacing your clutch more often than usual, go ahead, start off in 2nd. However, the manufacturer of your car DID put 1st gear in, for a reason. But, if you think You're smarter than a couple-hundred college-educated engineers, be mu guest. It's YOUR car!

Old 03-02-2007, 03:03 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: wmacura

Hey everyone.

In addition to my Audi, I have a honda civic. I was driving my friend around, when he commented that I shouldn't start the car in second gear because I can ruin my transmission. This really doesn't make sense, because there is less force (ie. torque) going through the transmission, but he doesn't buy that argument.

So... what are your thoughts on starting in second (or third :-P)?

Thanks.
If the civic is a 6-speed, it might be geared low enough that you can start out in 2nd gear. My friend has some sport coupe version (I don't know my civics - sorry) with a 6-speed tranny - she usually starts off in second...
I know if my car I have to spinning pretty high to start off in second.... which translates into clutch wear. Clutch wear translates into money spent. Money spent means less donuts. Less donuts means less happy fun time..
Can't say I've ever tried to start off in third. Maybe if it was downhill and I let my car get up to, oh, 15mph first, then I'd be all about it...

Quick Reply: Starting in second gear?