Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Speeding ticket today... can I talk myself out of this one?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 06:42 PM
Default Speeding ticket today... can I talk myself out of this one?

Hello guys. I'm located in Ohio. Tomorrow is my 18th birthday. I have a fender-bender (11/3/2008) on my record as well as a warning for speed (1/22/2009) (not sure if that actually went on my record).

Anyway, I was driving home with my father and younger brother from the mall and a few other errands we had to run in Akron. I was cited as doing 72mph in a 55mph zone in unsafe conditions, even though

a.) the road was completely dry
b.) there was no traffic in my lane, front or behind
c.) it was a straight stretch of road
d.) visibility was 100%
e.) I didn't really mean to speed out of an 'adrenaline rush' or something... I wasn't in that kind of mood. I just wanted to make sure there were no unusual sounds at higher speeds from the bearings or anything. (I had a problem like that in my previous S600 at ~80mph)

I just got the car on the 7th and JUST registered it today.

The state trooper, as my luck would have it, was in the opposite lane. Usually, they let you go if they are... this guy really wanted to make a kill so he made a 3-point turn and came after me.

The apprehension went smooth enough. Court appearance is mandatory. Do you suppose that, if I tell the magistrate/judge all of the circumstances regarding this incident, he will let me off with a warning? I've got good grades in the hardest courses that my high school has to offer (namely, Honors/AP Chemistry, AP Calculus BC, AP English Composition and Literature, etc). I just got accepted to OSU and JCU, had a 29 on my ACT, etc etc. I'm planning to study biochemistry and become an anesthesiologist. How should I approach this situation (ie, do you think this information will impact the judge's decision)? Can I take the ticket in before I receive the summons and get this taken care of ASAP?

Thanks.

Last edited by Maximos; 02-13-2010 at 06:57 PM.
Old 02-13-2010, 08:30 PM

With tax revenues being down, you can bet that you will be paying dearly.

Let's face it: speeding fines are a cop's excuse not to actually do the work of getting bad drivers off the road. It's a revenuer function.

72 in a 55 I mean seriously...that is what traffic moves at. You're going to pay.

Old 02-13-2010, 08:47 PM
Site Moderator

I would say it really depends on your judge. If he is the kinda guy that likes seeing the kind of person you aspire to become, he might let you off with a warning or reduced penalty. Giving the current economy, don't bet on it.

Old 02-13-2010, 08:57 PM
Senior Administrator

Get a LAWYER!!!

Otherwise, FINE$ will hafta be paid.

Your record vs. your grades = 0

With a lawyer you stand a better chance of yoru grades counting for something.

Consider: The Judge USED to be a lawyer, so he'll be more apt to listen to one of his own vs. a "speeder," who he prolly sees dozen's/day, along with ALL their stories.

Pay for a LAWYER! Or, pay the penalty.

Eaither way, yer GONNA HAFTA PAY!!!

Old 02-13-2010, 09:40 PM
Super Moderator

Which court did they assign you too? I'm a LEO up here. My #1 rule is speed away but if you get caught just man up and pay the fine! A few questions... HAve you ever had a ticket since you got your "l's" 2nd your going to a juvi. court which will differ from a real court. 3rd which road were you on? Then I will give you my 2 cents.

Old 02-13-2010, 10:13 PM
Senior Administrator

FTR, LEO = (L)aw (E)nforcement (O)fficer, for those not used to Cop-speak.

Choco, next time I'm plannin on flyin low throo oHIo, i'll be sure an email you my route, LoL!

OP, getta lawyer!

Old 02-13-2010, 11:48 PM

Choca, the ticket says juvenile court but the officer said I may be assigned to an adult court since this happened so close to my birthday. This is my first actual speeding ticket. I was on 585 from Akron to Wooster. The ticket also states that the court is that of Wooster's.

Last edited by Maximos; 02-14-2010 at 12:17 AM.
Old 02-14-2010, 12:51 AM
4th Gear

If your dad was in the car, you can also get him to go with you and make a statement saying what happened and you both wanted to 'test' the car... might not work, but doesnt hurt.. I've gotten my kid outta more traffic trouble than I'd care to admit just by showing up and acting concerned

Old 02-14-2010, 07:58 AM
Super Moderator

Honestly eather way adult or juv. just pay the fine. It's going to be about $100+ court cost about $35. A lawyer is going to cost you $500 just to show up for you. I know this from experience! I've had my share of tickets! Call around and ask a lawyer what they cost. Call the court house and just ask what the cost are. A bonus would be if they assign you to adult court. Because then you can waive going to court and just pay the fine minus the court fees! That goes for any adult for speeding in Ohio, 1st offense or no similar citations in the last 12 months. So my final thought, call around find the price of a lawyer, if it's over $200 just pay the fine. Do let us know what you plan on doing and what the out come is tho!

AWDaholic Let me know their is some fun flyin around here! If you ride a motorcycle and love twisties you MUST come ride w/ me, we'll stay outta trouble! ;-)

Old 02-14-2010, 10:06 AM

I don't think I'll be getting a lawyer for a speeding ticket, that sounds pretty ridiculous in my opinion. I know a cool officer that might be able to help me out with this. If not, I still plan on explaining what happened to the judge and just seeing his response.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Speeding ticket today... can I talk myself out of this one?