Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

speeding ticket excuse

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 07:42 PM
Default RE: speeding ticket excuse

Move to PA, .... little know fact...
here in Pennsylvania only State troopers are allowed to use radar...
so unless your on an Interstate, PEDAL TO THE FLOOR !!

Old 04-11-2005, 08:01 PM
2nd Gear

are you from mass or another new england state. in mass a ticket from nh will go on your record but not from any other new england state. so if you are in vt you might just pay the fine but doesn't go on your record. i would check on that to

Old 04-11-2005, 08:45 PM
3rd Gear

Food for thought:
All traffic officers must abide by the +7mph rule. They don't tell you this, but it's true. Any speeding violation must be witnessed (by radar or other methods) and recorded in excess of 7mph over the posted speed limit. If you are speeding at 42 mph in a 35mph zone, you can (and probably will) get away with it. If the officer records that you were speeding at 43mph in a 35mph zone, you're busted. The 7mph rule gives the benefit of the doubt to the driver in case of speedo error, tire differences, the officers equipment margin for error, etc. This rule does NOT apply in special zones such as "flashing yellow" school zones where the posted limit may be 15mph. If an officer believes you were speeding at 20mph in a zone like that, he can enforce the law.

Since you were caught doing more than 7mph over the posted speed, you will need a good story/excuse... or a good lawyer.

Old 04-11-2005, 09:22 PM
Site Moderator

I got pulled over for 74 in a 50. Kept my hands on the wheel, told him what I was doing whenever my hands left the wheel. Didn't try to make any excuses and he let me off. No ticket, no warning. All I got was "slow down a bit son."

Old 04-11-2005, 09:26 PM
Administrator

dont fight it just pay up and then go to traffic school its so easy no since its online
i dunno in california if u fight it u give up your rite to go to traffic school

Old 04-11-2005, 10:20 PM
1st Gear

haha the other day i got pulled over decelerating 60 in a 35. Had no idea the cop was there but he was a good guy. Thank god that he noticed today was my bday and realized i had just bought the car since it was on dealer plates. He wrote it as 50 in a 35 as an "early birthday present" He was a great guy and jsut gave me an written warning. Funniest part about it was hearing my name on the police scanner

Old 04-11-2005, 10:23 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: JDCrowe

That makes it worse if you have a radar detector, My radar gives me far warning everywhere but pa. there the cops time how long it takes to cross the white lines

Old 04-11-2005, 11:47 PM

That makes it worse if you have a radar detector, My radar gives me far warning everywhere but pa. there the cops time how long it takes to cross the white lines
True, true... but ..#1
keep in mind if they have a good view of those white lines to time you, you have a view of them... just be more aware, dont depend on your radar detector..watch more

and you may see that more up in Perkasie.. but i do most of my driving between Willow Grove and Philly and down my way you dont see Philly city cops with stopwatches in their hands....
....as I allways tell my friends, as long as you dont hit a pedestrian or fire a handgun out your window, ANYTHING else goes while driving in Philly..

Old 04-12-2005, 01:50 AM
5th Gear

ORIGINAL: GeneBopp

Don't "just pay it." It will haunt you for years. I live in florida, there are all kinds of ticket defense lawyers here. They charge like 100 bucks. The one I used had a no points, no school guarentee. Look around, I bet there is a similar lawyer near you.
that is one of the most amazing things i have ever heard...i have never seen a lawyer like that here in cali though...probably different laws....

droo....i've been issued speeding tickets 10 times since i got my license about 5 years ago, and only 4 have made it to my record (three of which i chose not to fight)...two were thrown out because the officer didn't show up for the hearing (cali's court system is out of control though, that helps), and the other 4 i got removed by asking for two pieces of paper....first you ask to see the radar printout, and most of the time they will have it (i've heard of cases where the cops don't even bring that though)....then you ask to see the calibration printout for the gun that was used. every day they before they go out the guns have to be calibrated...if they don't have proof that it was calibrated correctly, than the radar printout becomes worthless. again, i live in california, we have different laws...but it works for me.

Old 04-12-2005, 02:36 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: TomRitt

A radar detector saved my *** once. I was going 75 in a 45 (yea it was dumb) and got pulled over. But because of my radar detector I knew he did not accually get me till I was going 50 so when I asked to see the locked in speed and the date of calebration he could not prove it. Thus I did not even get a warning. Plus he would have had to wait for another county officer since I just crossed the line. Maybe I was lucky, and statistics show that if you get pulled over with a radar detector you are going to be getting a ticket. But leaving that puppy in my car just beeping while he talked to me might have saved my ***.

Quick Reply: speeding ticket excuse