Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Speed enforced by Aircraft?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 11:59 PM
Default Speed enforced by Aircraft?

Has anyone ever seen this sign? Does anyone know anyone who has gotten or received one themselves by this method? I kinda think its more of a deterant as a sign than a means of actually busting ppl, b/c the cameras, planes, etc would cost too much.

Old 09-05-2006, 12:01 AM
4th Gear
Default RE: Speed enforced by Aircraft?

I do know that the DEA has Cessina 208's that have special windows on the side for taking picturs. they gots all kinds of special equiptment in them too.

Old 09-05-2006, 12:23 AM
4th Gear

I've known a couple of people that have gotten tickets because of aircraft. You have to watch for the markers that the cops use from the air because they are timing you between those markers. Then later down the road a cop pulls in behind you and tells you that you were clocked over the limit.

I always thought that you would have to be unlucky to get burned this way. Plus, it seems like expensive overkill. I bet a cop doesn't have to park for even 10min on the interstate to see someone doing over 80.

btw, both people I know that got tickets that way were on road trips to big college football games, so maybe the cops bust out the planes for big weekends like that.

Old 09-05-2006, 12:52 AM

today was labor day and i came back from Palm Springs to School (AZ) and i went down the I 10. i kept seeing the sign and worrying, some kid was talking about it and that they send you a pic in the mail like a photo, and it was one of those kids that is "always right" he didnt believe that because of the angles and speed of the planes that they would have a problem getting a pic of ur plate number. So im glad, taht its not a mail in ticket that a cop would pull me over later and write the ticket which means that my 90 mph with occasioanl 100 mph for 4 hrs didnt get me a ticket this time.

Old 09-05-2006, 04:49 AM
4th Gear

I saw that sign on the I-95 on my way down to GA, my reaction was "yea right". I don't see how they can accurately track your speed by an aircraft (unless its a hovering chopper). Granted I'm rather unaware of all the technology out there but its still hard to see how it could be accurate. Hmm...I should do some research on this.

Old 09-05-2006, 06:02 AM
Senior Administrator

Those signs are all over the highways leading into and out of the Metro DC area. And, I've seen them in PA, and OH, too. I also know that in certain parts of CA, PA, and other states "they" use VASCAR (Visual Average Speed Computer and Recorder), generally from Aircraft. The "Bear-in-the-Air" has a stopwatch and markings on the pavement with which to time your progress, using the stopwatch. S/He's also got a Motorola and a basic description of YOUR car (color, #of doors, roof-rack, etc.) to convey to surreptiously-placed co-conspiritors on the ground. This technology is also used in some European countries.

Personally, I think the signs are misleading, and/or worded badly as your speed isn't so much "enforced" as "monitored" from theh Aircraft. Enforcement succests that the Aircraft have some way of directly acting on the fact that YOU'RE speeding, like missiles/rockets/high-energy lasers, and what not. Everytime I see the signs I always start looking for car carcasses and wreckage from those "caught" speeding having had the law ENFORCED! Then I giggle at the images in my head...

...until the voices tell me to stop laughing and drive, that is[&o]

Old 09-05-2006, 12:44 PM
4th Gear

The camera they use times you between the markers on the lane. It's like the tollway in Indiana my dad told me to be carfull on. When you get on the tollway you get a slip with the time and date when you get to the next check point your given another one unless the time was to short, then you get a ticket! That's why you see cars sitting on the side of the road before the toll letting time catch up.

Old 09-05-2006, 12:55 PM
Senior Administrator

That's why I ALWAYS stop for gas whenever I'm on a tollroad... Well, that, and the fact that, driving as fast as I do I can't make it through an entire state on 1 tankful[:@]

Old 09-05-2006, 05:10 PM

hahaha, that think on the toll road sucks. WTF? I love my toll road b/c i can speed all i want and there are almost no cops on it ever, and its newly paved and open.

Old 09-05-2006, 05:21 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: Trey25

I saw that sign on the I-95 on my way down to GA, my reaction was "yea right". I don't see how they can accurately track your speed by an aircraft (unless its a hovering chopper). Granted I'm rather unaware of all the technology out there but its still hard to see how it could be accurate. Hmm...I should do some research on this.
you mean like this one? http://www.nearlygood.com/picture/speedenforced.html

Quick Reply: Speed enforced by Aircraft?