Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Something very very sad

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 08:24 PM
2nd Gear
Default Something very very sad

I was coming out of a Futureshop location in Ottawa and about to open my car door when all of a sudden I here a faint "excuse me" through the noise of the wind gusting. I turn around to find a man in his late teens or early twenties wearing a tuque withJeansand a Montreal Canadians jacket. Hishands tucked in his pocket to keep warm. Itwasn't too cold but the high winds turned-2 degree(celcius) into a bitter cold -17. I said "yes?" and he did the ol' "Do you have any spare change?". I was angry and replied with a quick "NOPE" and got into mynewly cleanedA4. I workas a rock climbinginstructor with kids and often see the perfect example of thisyoung man. Teachers and instructors are often faced with the dillema of when to and when NOT to help a student. Often times I run into kids who know what they have to do, listenned to the lesson and know the concept but, they're sooo used to being babied by their parents and having things done for them that they hardly try. I used to help them allot when Ifirst started as an instructor but I've learned that walking away with a few words of encouragement, whether they asked for my help or not gave them the gift of learning to learn as opposed to telling them what to do then and there. My reasoning is that if they're left to figure things out on their own using the many resources at hand (their little brains and their fellow students) then they'd learn not only to complete the task, but to also fend for themselves.

This guy was no different in my eyes. He wasn't crippled, he wasn't deaf, blind or dumb. He was fine. Fine enough to go back home if he had one and go through the want ads.Fine enough to hit the Employmentoffice and get help. Fine enough to take advantage of the many resources at hand (government programs of which I as a tax payer support).Strong enough, to do work and yet here he was asking for spare change. I must have looked like such a ***** but I couldn't beleive this guy's attitude. Sorry for rambling but it bothered me and I just wanted to share it.

Old 03-18-2007, 09:02 PM
Senior Administrator
Default RE: Something very very sad

Tuff call. I face that same dilemma about 2-3 times a week, here in teh DC area. They tend to hang out where peoople HAFTA go and do business; gas stations, convenience stors, etc. Some have good scams (pretending to be deaf, blind, or crippled, and you feel sorry for them... THEN, when you see them a week later with a whole different scam you want to go ask for last weeks money back, LoL...

Sometimes I give a buck or two, sometimes I just ignore them. Once, just for gits & shiggles, I bought a lottery ticketand gave it to this one lady who'd hit me up about 16 different times.

I don't THINK she hit, but, come to think of it, I haven't seen her around at all since that time[&:]

Old 03-18-2007, 09:55 PM
2nd Gear

oops wrong button

Old 03-18-2007, 09:57 PM
Senior Administrator

[sm=wtf.gif]

Old 03-18-2007, 11:08 PM
Site Moderator/Ninja

yeah.. that bugs me too - if you're able bodied - go grab a broom -
or wash some windows.. HUSSLE.
but to just stand there & say "can I have some change" ????
earn a few bucks by actually doing something.. you'll feel better about yourself too..

Old 03-18-2007, 11:18 PM
2nd Gear

My sister used to run into a bum every day on her way to work and he always asked her for some change. Then she started carrying a bag of apples with her for when he'd ask. He stopped asking after the second apple lol.... Hmmmm. Drug money perhaps?

Old 03-18-2007, 11:34 PM
Senior Administrator

I know of at least one guy, here in the DC area who makes close to $200-$300/day, or so he told me. I work Security and was posted at a store with a coinstar machine. Guy'd come in EVERY night, just before closing, after spending ALL DAY limping up and down the rows of cars stopped at the light, cruising for handouts, and cash out, walk to his car and drive home.

Old 03-19-2007, 01:10 AM
2nd Gear

Wow.. Maybe he's on the Audi Forums right now!!!!! Hell I don't make anywhere near that much per day and I own one lol

Cheers

Old 03-19-2007, 01:44 AM
2nd Gear

Dont feel bad. If they are physically and mentally able to hold a job, but are to lazy to, then p1ss on em. And dont give that "oh the job market is tough right now". The military is ALWAYS hiring. Maybe I am a jerk, but I work hard and sacrifice alot to make a living and support my family. If you are to lazy to work, I have no sympathy OR respect for you. Keep begging.

Old 03-19-2007, 06:27 PM
2nd Gear

Come to Seattle some time. They are on every corner, every offramp, every onramp..Its like the plague. Half of these ****** are smoking cigarettes. Spare me. I have no sympathy for that. I do however like to help people when the honestly need help. I once stopped to give a guy an umbrella. He was an old man (travelling hobo) and he was drenched. He never asked for anything. I just figured he would like to stay dry. That kinda help is ok. Giving change to some POS to go buy cigs, booze, or dank is stupid. Evertime I get askes I say. What is my 50 cents gonna do for ya. In fact, if 50 people give you 50cents what are you gonna do with that? I usually get a F*** off with that one. No Love for beggars.