Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

So I have been watching the weather channel ...

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 08:27 PM
2nd Gear

glad your safe

Old 09-13-2008, 09:17 PM
4th Gear

damn sineo.. glad your ok, hope all goes well with all your stuff too!!! good luck.

those pics by the way are pretty powerful

Old 09-13-2008, 09:38 PM
Administrator

Jeez, you're not kidding. I've been tuning into CNN and TWC throughout the day for the coverage of it, and the things they've been showing are mainly the more fantastic, extreme, "newsworthy" clips. I haven't seen images like the ones you posted. Glad to hear that you're still doing well though and overall hopefully Houston recovers quickly (for the reasons you mentioned in an earlier post). Keep us posted on things if you would, as you get time.

Old 09-13-2008, 11:48 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Bogie
Yeah, there are quite a few windows blown out of the upper floors of that building.
The side that you can see in those pics is the most intact. ALL of the glass on another side blew out.

Old 09-14-2008, 02:13 AM

^ you sound kinda depressed ???

Old 09-14-2008, 02:15 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by GHETTOxWHITExBOY
^ you sound kinda depressed ???
I'm pretty down.

Old 09-14-2008, 02:20 AM

I can tell.......Just remeber everything is material and you have your health !!! Hope you feel better !!!

Old 09-15-2008, 12:00 AM
3rd Gear

The first paragraph is meant to be cathartic, so feel free not to read it...it's long! I had a horrible weekend.

Well, I finally was able to make it out of downtown this afternoon. I was stuck there yesterday because the cops weren't letting people out and stuck there this morning because I'm a shift manager at my restaurant and they needed someone to cook breakfast. This was by far the most stressful weekend of my life. Besides the anxiety about the storm, I also worked 18 hours on Friday with almost no support (I was scheduled for 8) and then worked 12 Saturday with the same lack of staff, and then of course, this morning, I had to trade in my blouse for an apron and figure out how to cook breakfast. I also spent all of today crying at work because the GM of the hotel came down and yelled at me after I'd already worked 30 hours in the last two days for the sake of his guests. I was finishing up paperwork and getting ready to leave when he came down and asked when breakfast was served and I said I didn't know, that depended on whether or not the owner could send me some staff. He said something like, "You've got several employees staying in the hotel, let's get this going now!" and I said, "We've already worked ridiculous hours and we're not supposed to be working today. Who's going to pay us for all of this, Greg?" and he stormed off and then stormed back in and said, "It's things like that that infuriate me, you guys need to just suck it up and get this out," and I said we'd already put in our time and gone above and beyond all weekend for him. Then he said something about having housed us for the past two nights in the hotel and that he isn't the kind of person who would charge us for the rooms and we should be grateful for that. I said, "Don't feed me that nonsense, Greg, the only reason we needed hotel rooms in the first place was to do YOU a favor and keep YOUR guests fed." He left, I started tearing up and pretty much never stopped. As I was about to leave this afternoon, I stopped him and told him that in the future, if he wanted me to go the extra mile after already having gone an extra 10 for him, that he would have to ask me nicely and demonstrate more gratitude for the sacrifice made by me and our staff. And that he owed me an apology for the way he spoke to me. He said the only reason he got snappy is because he'd asked us "FOUR times when would the restaurant be open," to which I replied, "I don't work for you, Greg. I understand that the satisfaction of your guests is top priority for you, but that's not what drives me and I don't owe you anything."

Anyway, end result, he apologized and agreed to compensate me for the weekend. I'm going to ask for a $500 bonus in addition to my wage and tips.

Also, my house is completely fine...my whole neighborhood is actually! No debris, no fallen trees, nothing. ONE plank of my fence fell off, but that's it. I doubt we ever even lost power.

My friend took these of downtown:

Name:  IMGA0839.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  62.4 KB

Name:  IMGA0841.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  72.4 KB

Name:  IMGA0849.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  30.2 KB
Name:  IMGA0853.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  46.4 KB

Last edited by sineo; 09-15-2008 at 07:19 AM.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:17 AM
5th Gear

wow that Greg must really have a short fuse. he should be happy that he has people like you helping him out. i do a bit of managing for my dad and i've had jobs so i can see from both points of view. i'm glad you're ok and posting. make sure to keep posting so we know you're still there. if you need anything just holler

Old 09-15-2008, 02:23 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by sineo
Yeah, I'm sure a lot of people got drunk.

Paaaaaarrtayyyyy! Idiot.
Probably was a good time.

Quick Reply: So I have been watching the weather channel ...