Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Small Business Owners- I need startup advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 05:23 PM
5th Gear
Default Small Business Owners- I need startup advice

Have an idea I've been kicking around. Know I need a business plan, my brother is pretty good at throwing those together, so writing the actual plan isn't that big of a deal.

Not sure exactly how to get the info I need to put into the business plan though, and where/how to get startup money if/when that time comes.
I know the chamber of commerce can help, but I think I'll need to do some homework before I even consider taking anything to them.

So, pointers/advice/helpful links? It's all appreciated. I'm clueless.

Old 03-03-2009, 07:08 PM
1st Gear

Can you hint what type it is?

Old 03-03-2009, 07:11 PM

when i started RAI, i did it out of my garage with a pretty basic tool set. i think its best not to get loans and such when you are starting small. they can really hurt as much as help. with the current economy its even more dangerous. the biggest reason i am safe is because i own all my stuff. and that is about 100k worth of stuff i bought mostly in the past year. i dump every penny i have into the company.....i have yet to see money from this lol

Old 03-03-2009, 07:51 PM
5th Gear

Well it depends on your business. Will you need to buy equipment or can you rent them? I'm assuming you'll need a building space too. First thing to start doing is see if anybody else is doing what you're doing in your area and find out their prices and where they get inventory. Next you have to find a way to lower the price so that you attract more customers initially. As far as acquiring the money needed, you should save enough to pay for at least 10-20% of initial startup cost. Keep some money on the side for any emergencies. Last of all, make sure what you're starting is ok with the city/state. A lawyer can help you do most of the legal stuff so you don't have to fret about that. Make sure that what you're doing will make you money, do not kid yourself with 20% return on profit after overhead costs like utility, etc. Also make sure that you have a fast escape route if things get bad, don't get stuck with not being able to sell your business or equipment.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:01 PM
5th Gear

ok, so its on the bigger side of small business. i want to buy a movie theater and show second run films. what would set this apart from the 4 other theaters in town is that it'll be more of a bar atmosphere. aka wings and beer while you watch a movie. its not a new idea, but the only place like it that i know of in vt was in a small ski town It only saw decent business in the winter. Burlington is the biggest city in VT, and it has 3 colleges- my target market. i could/would host live music/comedy as well.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:19 PM
5th Gear

that is a great idea. i don't know how much a movie theater would cost or if it comes with any equipment but it's going to be pretty costly just for the cooking equipment. in NY you need to go to classes for Health Department. also, you'll need a license to serve alcoholic drinks, i hear they're not easy to get

Old 03-03-2009, 09:26 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by achTTung
ok, so its on the bigger side of small business. i want to buy a movie theater and show second run films. what would set this apart from the 4 other theaters in town is that it'll be more of a bar atmosphere. aka wings and beer while you watch a movie. its not a new idea, but the only place like it that i know of in vt was in a small ski town It only saw decent business in the winter. Burlington is the biggest city in VT, and it has 3 colleges- my target market. i could/would host live music/comedy as well.
Great idea bro, but entrepreneurship is a risk! Especially in this day and age, wish ya luck bro!

Old 03-03-2009, 09:51 PM
3rd Gear

Love the idea man good luck! If you start it and I'm ever out there ill be sure to make a visit.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:09 PM
5th Gear

hell, any of the regulars here (that don't cause me grief) are welcome to get shitfaced for free!

I already have a theater I'm looking at, I have an architectural firm at my disposal to do a walkthru and check the place out, I won't be cooking, so F the classes, and my understanding is that a beer/wine permit is much easier to get than a full blown booze permit, and I think I'd be set with that.

Of course, this is just the tip of the iceberg, and I still don't have a clear idea of what I'm getting into, so we'll see how this pans out. Worst of it is, if it did happen, i'd feel bad about leaving Rennline. I like working here, having a waterjet at my disposal for personal projects is unbelievable, and I'd feel bad about putting the boss thru the trouble of finding and training a replacement. I do feel like I'm destined to work for myself though...

Old 03-04-2009, 09:06 PM
6th Gear

follow what you feel is right, I'm sure your boss will understand and there are a few theaters like that in Ohio, and while I've never been to one (that pesky not being 21 thing) they seem like a good time