Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Sleep Advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 01:15 PM
3rd Gear
Default Sleep Advice

Ok, I have hit the wall and I have to do something about my sleep. I haven't been sleeping well for months now. I've tried everything. I've bought the expensive pillows and even bought a new mattress and it hasn't done anything. It's all in my head. When I try to go to sleep, my brain kicks into overdrive and it's near impossible. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm about to go to the store and buy some sleeping pills, which I swore to myself I would never do, but I have to do something soon!

Old 10-31-2005, 01:27 PM
5th Gear
Default RE: Sleep Advice

Don't go to a store to get sleeping pills... barbituates are terrible things. Eventually you'll need half a bottle to get a similar effect... and withdrawal... not good. Get a prescription to minimize the crap associated with the cursed things. My gf has some sleeping pills... she's tried a few and these ones are the best so far. I'll try and get the name for you.

Old 10-31-2005, 02:19 PM
4th Gear

Are you under a lot of stress? Do you think about work/money at night? That will mess you up. You can try reading in bed - not tv - to help you get ready for sleep. That has worked for me anyway.

Another thing that many people don't think about is the stuff that they eat and drink in the evening and how it will affect them. If you are drinking Coke(or similar drinks) you are hurting your chances of sleep. People think "I'll just have decaf" and then they woof down a cup of sugar in something. That's not going to help either.

I say try to fix those simple things first before you move on to pills.

Old 10-31-2005, 02:27 PM
3rd Gear

That's one of my problems is that I have been extremely stressed out about work. I've been interviewing for a position in our Kansas City office and I'm having my 4th and 5th interviews in about 30 minutes. Hopefully they are the last ones because it's killing me. I've been watching what I drink at night and I don't eat anything after an early dinner. I might try reading. I think one of the problems is that I go to bed early because that's when I think I should go to bed and I'm not tired a lot of the time. I try to get 8 hours of sleep a night.

Old 10-31-2005, 02:35 PM
5th Gear

An early morning workout can do wonders for your sleep. Try running/cycling or some other cardio activity for 20 - 30 minutes every morning. If if you have to wake up a half hour earlier than usual, feeling like hell... eventually you will feel better waking up earlier, and your sleep will be more productive.

Old 10-31-2005, 06:26 PM
Senior Administrator

You kno what useta work for me, years ago, when I was a kid? I had this James Bond-like fantasy life that I'd use to occupy my mind until I could drift off to sleep. I'd construct these elaborate adventures in my head and think them throo (with ME as teh all-conquering hero, of course). Thwarting spy-rings, breaking up mob-rings, cleaning bathtub-ri... OOps, wrong fantasy NEway, you get the picture. The idea is to give yourself something ELSE to occupy it until sleep povercomes you. Each night I'd try to pick up where I left off (and fell asleep) the night before.

Nowadays I read. Of course, I go through books like Hamburger Royales...[]

Old 10-31-2005, 06:37 PM
Lvl-65 Sorceress: 9,571-HP/7,796-EP

have you tried earplugs. sometimes it helps to hear nothing cuz when u cant sleep, you hear even the least little noise.
adwaholic's idea is good too. ive done that and it works (only, im wonderwoman, not james bond)

Old 10-31-2005, 06:47 PM
Senior Administrator

Maybe we shuld get together and save the World one of these days. Bring you *Golden-Magic* rope and bullet-proof cuffs and I'll see what kinda gadgets Q can come up with for us to *play* with[8D]

Old 10-31-2005, 07:48 PM
2nd Gear

coming back to KC? its so gray here today.
i sleep very little most of the time, if i'm desperate for sleep i take two melatonin & glass of merlot and that usually helps. you can take melatonin every night because its natural and non-addictive or kava kava. you take them about 30 minutes before you try to lay down.

Old 10-31-2005, 08:10 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: sadize

coming back to KC? its so gray here today.
i sleep very little most of the time, if i'm desperate for sleep i take two melatonin & glass of merlot and that usually helps. you can take melatonin every night because its natural and non-addictive or kava kava. you take them about 30 minutes before you try to lay down.

Yep, coming back to KC. I really don't enjoy Arizona and I miss the laid back atmosphere. I've lived in KC my whole life, except the past year. Better opportunity for work as well. Where are you at in KC? I usually drink a glass of wine and it helps a lot but I'll have to try a little extra boost. I should also try the ear plugs because I do hear every little sound. Drives me crazy.

Quick Reply: Sleep Advice