Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

sigh. my car is getting to be too much

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 11:34 AM
5th Gear
Default sigh. my car is getting to be too much

I need another car for a daily driver.

I'll preface this by saying this sort of **** ONLY happens when Im being nice and driving somewhere to help someone.

Today, a very windy, 27° day, my head gasket blew out (I'm hoping).
I managed to limp it to the parkinglot at work.

Full head gasket kit from ECS is $113, and will get here probably tuesday. Meanwhile, I'm sitting at work with an out of commission car saturday morning.

I was driving to the shop to meet a guy who needs help raising his corroded coilovers.

Old 11-22-2008, 11:50 AM
Administrator

That sucks bro - sorry to hear. Look at it as an opportunity to do some wrenching (and maybe some engine bay detailing?)...as long as you have a garage. It's 18 degrees out right now in Chenango Bridge (not adjusting for wind chill, which is considerable), and I know at least one thing like that is going to happen to me this winter. Thanks to a friend, I now have a heated garage, so for us locals there's still a place to work on the cars in relative comfort.

Old 11-22-2008, 11:54 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by ImTheDevil
\ I now have a heated garage, so for us locals there's still a place to work on the cars in relative comfort.

I see a case of Yeungling and an hour road trip in my future .... lol

Old 11-22-2008, 12:02 PM
Administrator

If you have work to do, bring it down, but even if you don't, by all means come on down - I think we're doing some suspension work on Hiwords' car next weekend, so you're welcome to pitch in on that. But anytime you get a wild hair and feel like taking a drive, just come on down. Send me a PM with your phone number a few days in advance and we can arrange it. And hopefully next summer I can get an Audi BBQ arranged at the house for anyone who feels like driving in - barbecue, beers, cruise, photo shoots, etc, as well as any tech/detailing anyone feels like doing. When the weather breaks I'll start looking more into it.

Old 11-22-2008, 12:07 PM
5th Gear

Now is the time of year for gaskets to blow. its a lot of stretching for a block/gasket to go from 15° to 200°.

I live ON Lake Champlain, its been a non-stop 30mph wind for the last week. Bitter cold.

Old 11-22-2008, 12:08 PM
5th Gear

visit germanautoparts.com man good luck with everything

Old 11-22-2008, 12:11 PM
Administrator

Hiwords, are we still doing the suspension work on your car this coming weekend? Lemme know what your schedule is and we'll set it up.

Old 11-22-2008, 08:14 PM

Sorry to hear that. Now is the time to do a little head work while its off.

Old 11-23-2008, 11:44 AM
5th Gear

its gotta go back together quick. I'm using someone elses garage, and on top of that, its thanksgiving week, and I have a 4.5 hr drive to my parents house to make wednesday night.

im a little concerned. 1.8T's are solid engines, generally don't blow head gaskets.... unless you overheat them, and warp something... I've done that twice in the last 6 months, one time draining about 2 gallons of water out of the system, and I had to drive it another 2 miles to a gas station to put water in it.
I'm gonna start work in a few minutes, waiting for my friend to get back from breakfast and open up his garage for me. I'm bringing some sand paper and a straight edge. Might have to do some shade tree head decking.

Old 11-23-2008, 11:48 AM
Administrator

Hope it works out for you. And if you do a little decking, well, the slight bump in compression ratio isn't exactly bad

Where are your parents? Back in this area? If so and if you want to take another look at anything while you're in town, get in touch with me - you're welcome to pull in my garage and use anything you need or want (I've got all the hand and air tools you could need for it). I'll be glad to donate labor to give you a hand, and I wouldn't be surprised if some of the other local guys showed up as well to pitch in and help, or at least to stand around, drink beer, and point and snicker Seriously though - put it back together and get it running and if anything bothers you about the way it runs afterward, or on your ride to town (again, if this is where you're headed), come on over and we'll see what we can do about it. Even if I have to be at work, I'll meet up with you and get you a key to the garage. Just let me know.

Quick Reply: sigh. my car is getting to be too much