Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Should I trade my B5 S4 for a 2004 Wrx stage 4?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 11:29 AM
1st Gear
Default Should I trade my B5 S4 for a 2004 Wrx stage 4?

I'm about to trade a friend of mine for his car because we both want a change (he's also always wanted an S4). I can't tell him I'm dedicated to this deal yet because I do love my Audi, but... his car is rather worked and it's very tempting. I need some input from the forums, parts info etc as follows.

2000 S4 Mileage: 80,300

GIAC stage 2 | AWE Twin 1 | Piggies | APR Bi-pipe | Eibachs | ASP DTS | Rear 20% Tints | center vent boost gauge
(I might add the hood has been repainted)

2004 WRX Mileage: 63,000

No FMIC or Lip on that last one.
Parts are:
16g Turbo | Turbo XS FMIC | Eibach springs and shocks | custom autospeed turbo back exhaust | OZ Ultralaggeras with Pilotsport2's | Full fueling and tune | Prosport boost gauge
(bumper needs a little lovin')

If you have taken the time to check this out, what do you think?

Old 03-16-2009, 12:16 PM
4th Gear

i would do it. im actually looking to get rid of my a4 and get an 05sti. a rex is nice too. should be cheaper on insurance than an sti and maybe and s4, and you can still make decent power. only thing you loose is the comfort of a luxury car. but thats just me, im sure there are others that would say yes and others that would say no.

Old 03-16-2009, 01:15 PM
1st Gear

thanks for the opinion. I agree that the interior is a huge downgrade, but they can most certainly make some nice power. Insurance being cheaper is also a definite plus. Anyone else with an opinion out there?

Old 03-16-2009, 03:19 PM
SoCal Crew Member

that front bumper sucks, but decent car otherwise

I don't know if it's really worth the trade though. one awd turbo with a much nicer interior for another awd turbo with more of a standard interior...

if you were to go through with the trade would you really drive this car as hard as it's being set up to be driven? if you're just going to daily it, I don't think you should do it. if you're going to see some track time, though, and really want to drive this thing, it could be worth it.

regardless of what anyone here says though, this is going to come down to your call. outside perspectives can help the decision making process, but this is a pretty big decision that you need to make on your own. don't let some relatively anonymous people in some online community make your mind up for you. I don't think that's what your aim is, but I still feel like I ought to throw that out there.

good luck with the decision making process.

Last edited by love the booB5; 03-16-2009 at 11:19 PM. Reason: minor coherency edit
Old 03-16-2009, 05:31 PM
4th Gear

i agree with the boob.it really depends on what your gonna use it for. DD stick with the S4, if you really want to make some real power on the street and track it, then by all means get the subie. both are good car. its just what you need it for.

Old 03-16-2009, 06:06 PM
4th Gear

I'd probably do it..

Old 03-16-2009, 10:19 PM

NO!!!!!!! i would put more emphasas on that but i would get in trouble. dude Audi is far better. and an s4 is even better. we all know that a stage 2 could even keep up with a subie. the awd system in the Audi is much better than the awd in the sub. i have driven both and the audi is way more fun. and pluse when driving by the cops at speed a costume subi is going to get pulled over before the stock looking audi will. it about stealth man. and the audi is more comfortable. i would never do it...or maybe i would sell the subi and get me another s4 and do some upgrades... but as said earlier don't let my biases sway you. this is a big trade if you do go through with it. best of luck

Old 03-16-2009, 10:40 PM
1st Gear

Subis are awesome! Don't get me wronge but S4s are harder to come by and I like that personaly. The fact that I can go to a cruise meet with 100 cars. All of them being riced out Hondas, Nissan, Chevy, Ford, and Saturns for some strange reason. I am the only one witha an Audi. I have an A4 but hope to make it a real show stopper down the road. Anyway, They are more unique for sure. Subis are everywhere. I agree with all the replies above as well. There is something about a black leather interior with heated seats that gets me giggly! Plus you're going from a turbo 6 to 4. The only think I do fret about some with Audi is their weight. Especialy with the Quattro which I do have. Audi's are the heaviest compared to Subis and Evo's. Am I right? I would stay with the Audi because they are unique, sleek, and so damn comfortable!

Old 03-17-2009, 12:13 AM

Mere speculation, but i can only imagine repair costs will be less on the subie than the Audi, but i am probably wrong. o well. both are sick cars man, tough decision. Think about the person that you are trading, would you be able to stand seeing the car go, and having to see it over and over if you guys are friends, when i had to get rid of my 01 allroad i made sure it was far away.

Old 03-17-2009, 11:40 AM
1st Gear

damn, thanks for all the advice. I'm still about 50/50 in doing the deal, but I thought I should mention that my S4 has some cosmetic damage that drives be absolutely nuts so its a tough call. The hood has been repainted, doesn't match. The front bumper has also been repainted, one grille in it doesnt match at all. And lastly the paint above the chrome window trim on the passenger window has some chipping behind it. These are all things I suppose could be repaired, but I just don't have the damn money . If my S4 was all original this would be a no brainer, but she's been (yes, she is a she) through a lot. BTW, the trading for the WRX and selling it idea isn't so bad either, it would be nice to take the time to find a properly loved S4, just a thought.

Last edited by Slow4_00; 03-17-2009 at 11:45 AM.

Quick Reply: Should I trade my B5 S4 for a 2004 Wrx stage 4?