Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Should I Obtain a Medical Assistant Certification?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2021, 11:37 AM
Banned
Default Should I Obtain a Medical Assistant Certification?

I am an undergraduate non-traditional senior (B.A. in Computer Science). My overall GPA is 3.85, science GPA is 4.0 as I’m taking my prerequisites, I have 17 hours of clinical volunteering, and I was just hired as a medical scribe (job title is “Medical Assistant”) for a psychiatry/neurology private clinic. I have no current research experience but I am actively applying for the future. I have worked as a biology/chemistry/A&P tutor at a community college before becoming a scribe.

My question is: Would it be worth it to get MA certification through a program? I am currently weighing my options of doing it at a local CC or through an accredited online program. What I hope is that my current clinical experience as a scribe will help me get hired at a place where I can do direct patient care (such as basic procedures at a dermatology practice), and that this certification will help me more with my chances. I know some jobs offer onsite training, but I always like to be sure of my chances.

BTW, I am planning on taking my MCAT in 2022/2023, and hope to matriculate in those respective years.

I appreciate any advice.

Old 11-26-2021, 04:33 AM
1st Gear

I'm leaning towards no, it's not worth it to get the certificate but it depends on your circumstances.

Old 11-26-2021, 04:34 AM
1st Gear

I understand that the thread is old, but if someone suddenly wants to repeat the scenario discussed here, I wouldn't advise you to do this. More precisely, I just advise you to think more. I understand that in this situation the conversation was about specific conditions. When you think about what to do right now, the prospect of some future fades into the background. But the point is that this future will come. I believe that it is better to rework than to underwork. If you get certified, you definitely won't get any worse from it. And perhaps someday you will thank yourself for this choice. When, for example, in 5 years you will find a dream job, but for it, you will not have enough only a certificate. Now young people are more willing to go to finish their studies, because the Internet provides on one resource not only information about the specialty, but also about all the accompanying details, for example, https://www.exploremedicalcareers.co...cal-assistant/. Do not be lazy to study the information. It will save you someday.