Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Shopping Spree

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 06:05 PM
Senior Administrator
Default RE: Shopping Spree

ORIGINAL: CheckMyVitals

~I think it's those rims that's doin it for me the most though... and those headlights...

~I'd NEVER change those rims though
Some of you have been around long enough to remember ImolaS4, who falls in the category of long-lost (but hopefully to return, sooner or later... The following is a moded version of something he used to post, fairly regurlary With apologies to Mr. sfordeso (did I spell that right?)

Stop calling them rims!!

They're wheels.

"Rims" is a vernacular term now used by the ricers, low riders and the show truck crowd. It is a term that grew from the time when steel wheels had snap-on rims that would cover the steel and dress up the wheel. (There are still some of these steel wheels around to this day.) I'm not talking about hubcaps either. Hubcaps cover the hubs. (Hubs are the "center" of the assembly that your wheel attaches to.) Rims snapped onto the edge. They were a great accessory because curb rash could be economically resolved by replacing the rim rather than the entire wheel. The natural evolution has left us with three-piece wheels; those that allow for a "rim" to be replaced should they become damaged. Since the majority of wheels of discussion are one-piece, those wheels don't have the "accessories" of the early steel wheels nor the "rim" of a three-piece wheel. In fact, the edge of the wheel is still technically referred to as the rim of the wheel. Thus, it's a grammatical mistake to call wheels by a part of the wheel. They're just wheels.

I've been DYING to use that on one of teh "old" heads.

Old 09-19-2006, 08:50 PM
4th Gear

how the HELL did you remember my old username? -I- didn't even remember I had an old username on here!

wonder how many times he nailed me on that one? rims is quicker to type

Old 09-19-2006, 08:51 PM
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: bluovalguy

I thought about debadging, but the only ones I would want to take off would be the F150 badges. I swapped the blue ford ovals in the grill and tailgate with black ones, and I really like those, so they would stay.

As far as the vinyls, yeah it would take a decent amount of knowledge to know what it used to be, but the seats and the floormats are embroidered with the nascar logo as well. Those would be harder to take off. Reguardless though, you are right, and they will probably come off.
far enough... I'm rockin modded ford emblems myself... but I'd remove 'em if I could.

wait... the ford emblem has pins on the F150 doesn't it? yeah... I'd leave it too.

Old 09-19-2006, 10:23 PM
4th Gear

How much cheeze do you have. I found a S/C for 2.5K and a turbo thing for about the same

Old 09-19-2006, 10:47 PM
2nd Gear

I was able to find everything I want for $2077. The mrs. aint real happy with that amount, but I am kinda playing the deployment card (I'm such a schmuck[&o]). I dont really want to go over that, and may have to cut that back a little.

EDIT: Do you have a link to the stuff you found?? I mean, whats it hurt to look

Old 09-20-2006, 12:33 AM
Senior Administrator

how the HELL did you remember my old username? -I- didn't even remember I had an old username on here!

wonder how many times he nailed me on that one? rims is quicker to type
Honestly, I have a quirky memory, I'm a HOOT at Jeopardy. Most people mistake me for being smart, but it's just the fact that I remember schitt way beyond normal...

Old 09-20-2006, 01:13 AM
4th Gear

yeah... you almost fooled me into thinking you were intelligent. ALMOST

Old 09-20-2006, 01:36 AM
Senior Administrator

Don't feel bad, I do that to everybody... Eventually they figR it out.

Old 09-20-2006, 02:22 AM

Hmmm...I thought that you usually came back from deployment with the chunk of money from the per diam or tax free places like Turkey? Wouldn't it be better to save up that chunk and invest in the ride after you return and can enjoy it?

Oh well, who am I to tell a guy when to mod or not???

BTW, I would like to see those HOT HOT HOT jeans of Kelly's too.[:-]

Cheers!

Old 09-20-2006, 02:25 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: Chef

Hmmm...I thought that you usually came back from deployment with the chunk of money from the per diam or tax free places like Turkey? Wouldn't it be better to save up that chunk and invest in the ride after you return and can enjoy it?

That is exactly how it works, but if I spend a chunk now before I go, then I can do it AGAIN when I get back. The mrs. will just be happy I am home, and it will have been over a year since I really spent any money, so I will get the green light to do it all over again Maybe at that point she will let me start on the car.

On that note, she did say I could put an exhaust on the car, cuz it will be a little cheaper than the headers for the truck.

Quick Reply: Shopping Spree