Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

selling my T/A for an Audi, but I need help

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 02:01 PM
1st Gear
Default selling my T/A for an Audi, but I need help

After I sell my T/A and get a loan, I'll be looking at a ceiling of $16-17k for a new car...I want AWD so with that price range things are pretty much narrowed down to Audi. I'm here to ask for help, since surely this forum is the authority. A 2001 S4? Reliability? Pros? Cons? Repair costs? Any other suggestions for a new car? (The T/A isn't cutting it for reliability or winter roads in Michigan). Thanks fellas~

Old 05-20-2006, 03:20 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: selling my T/A for an Audi, but I need help

A built A4 would be better imo. Easy to work on and you don't need 2 of everything when stuff breaks. Plus gas is to much for a TT 6 rather have a turbo 4.

Old 05-20-2006, 03:58 PM
2nd Gear

The only reason you say that is cause you have a A4 ? hahah Either way you cant loose! haha

Old 05-20-2006, 04:04 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Beer Mod

A built A4 would be better imo. Easy to work on and you don't need 2 of everything when stuff breaks. Plus gas is to much for a TT 6 rather have a turbo 4.
A4's with manual transmissions aren't quattro though, correct? I thought you either had the option of a 5-speed auto or CVT in the case your A4 has quattro. I simply must have a manual, I can't go from a 6-speed Trans Am to an auto :-P

Old 05-20-2006, 04:09 PM
3rd Gear

Yes A4's come in Quattro Manual

Old 05-20-2006, 04:14 PM
5th Gear

I have an a4 and hinestly Id go for the S4 who cares if it has two turbos and two extra cylinders, its more than twice the fun...... besides I doubt he is overly worried about mileage as he is driving a thirsty v8 now so a 6 would be and increase in mileage for him

Old 05-20-2006, 04:30 PM
1st Gear

Welcome to the forums. I live in Michigan to and love my A4, just remember there are certain things such as the timing belt that have to be replaced at a certain time. Where abouts in Michigan are you?

Old 05-20-2006, 05:19 PM
5th Gear

Welcome to the forums! I used to own an LT1 TA as well, and just sold a 95 1le camaro about a month ago. I obviously opted for an A4 when I was shopping... I have tossed the S4 around in my mind a few times since then, but it is sort of hard to justify sometimes. However, if you can keep a couple grand stashed away at all times, and that wouldn't leave you scraping for cash... then go S4.
You get:
Nicer exterior (bumpers are nicer, and the skirts make the S4 soooo much nicer!)
Nicer wheels (which can become nice winter wheels)
Bigger brakes
6 speed (not sure if you can get a 2004 A4 (first year 6 spd a4) for your budget)
Much, much nicer interior
And obviously, the power. A chipped S4 will put down over 300 hp and more torque than a stock TA -- see www.goapr.com

However... when you consider that chipping it will shorten the lifespan of those little K03 turbos, it can get expensive. Changing the turbos in a 2.7T involves pulling the motor, and takes 15~ hours (at least the dealer will quote you 15-20 hours).
On the up side... if you ARE going to yank the motor, you have an excuse for the K04 turbo upgrade. Then you're at some crazy numbers... see stage 3 on APR's website.

For me though, I can sleep at night knowing that if anything goes wrong with my A4, it's a pretty easy fix... provided I can afford the parts.
Good luck!

Old 05-20-2006, 06:04 PM
1st Gear

well...unlike the Trans Am, I won't have time to fix things myself unless they're small. So...I could end up paying a foreign shop a lot of money in labor with an S4 [:@]

Old 05-20-2006, 06:39 PM
4th Gear

just get the 1.8t A4 and do some mods to it. the S4 will just become a hole that you will have to fill with money, and time. The A4 is an awsome platform for mods. you can have them runing with the newer S4 for some green, and still keep some reliability. Just my $.02.

Quick Reply: selling my T/A for an Audi, but I need help