Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Scary Movies

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 03:45 PM
1st Gear
Default Scary Movies

so i am getting into the Halloween spirit and i am curious about what some of you all think are some of the BEST scary/horror movies of all time. Tell your opinions and experiences.

*Lets just all agree that the Halloween, Friday the 13th, and The Nightmare on Elm Street movies are already on the list. Otherwise, it will be the same posts over and over.*

Ok....to start, I am gonna name off a movie that is undeniably twisted and has some undertones that make it one of the scariest and most controversial movies of its time...
George A. Romero's "NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD"

I made the mistake of watching this while alone, in the dark, and I happen to live across the street from a cemetary...i was 9.

Old 10-23-2008, 04:18 PM
Tech Guru

The Hills Have Eyes

Old 10-23-2008, 04:21 PM
1st Gear

The original or the re-make?

Old 10-23-2008, 04:41 PM
Administrator

The Descent - it's not so much scary as just very, very intense. I recommended it to a friend when it was in the theater, and asked her about it afterward for her opinion. She said she wanted to crawl inside her sock and hide.

As for the classics mentioned by the OP, I submit Rob Zombie's remake of Halloween as being far superior to the original.

Old 10-23-2008, 05:02 PM
1st Gear

I love the descent. i just saw quarentine in theaters last week. it was alot like the descent except it wasn't in a cave.

i still have yet to see the rob zombie halloween remake. rob zombie is a fantastic director, but he could use some better scripts. i didn't think much of house of 1000 corpses, and devil's rejects was a huge improvement; but i still felt that it lacked.

Old 10-23-2008, 05:10 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by UpstateNYA4
The Descent - it's not so much scary as just very, very intense. I recommended it to a friend when it was in the theater, and asked her about it afterward for her opinion. She said she wanted to crawl inside her sock and hide.

As for the classics mentioned by the OP, I submit Rob Zombie's remake of Halloween as being far superior to the original.
I totally agree about The Descent. I went in a couple caves alittle while after watching that movie and it scared the **** out of me, couldn't stay in them for more than 5 mins.

Old 10-23-2008, 05:12 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by metalmmaniac
I love the descent. i just saw quarentine in theaters last week. it was alot like the descent except it wasn't in a cave.

i still have yet to see the rob zombie halloween remake. rob zombie is a fantastic director, but he could use some better scripts. i didn't think much of house of 1000 corpses, and devil's rejects was a huge improvement; but i still felt that it lacked.

I just saw quarentine myself, good movie!

Old 10-23-2008, 05:18 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by MsA42.8
I just saw quarentine myself, good movie!
Terrible movie!!!!

Old 10-23-2008, 05:38 PM
Administrator

The Descent is one of my top all-time horror movies. Zombie's remake of Halloween is intense. That kid that plays Michael Myers as a child is flat-out disturbing. It's very, very well done. No comic bullshit either - the guy that plays Myers as an adult is Kane Hodder (who played Jason in the last several Friday the 13th movies) and he's awesome. The violence will make you cringe in some parts. It's a must-rent, this weekend.

Old 10-24-2008, 08:23 AM
1st Gear

anyone ever seen the re-animator movie? that thing that came out of the guy's forehead always freaked the hell out of me.

and another question to try and keep the thread alive. what is the best/goriest/grossest special effect you've ever seen. The part in event horizon where laurence fishburne walks into a room and a guy is suspended in the air, hanging by hooks, his chest cut open and his guts on the table below. pretty f'ed up. or the part in texas chainsaw massacre: beginning where the one guy is getting the meat cut off his arm.