Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Sales tax question

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 12:28 AM
1st Gear
Default Sales tax question

I have a question about sales tax on car purchases.

I recently (Dec 2005) bought an audi and need to sell it because I am going to grad school. Does the person purchasing my car have to pay sales tax again? What if they are out of state?

Alternately, I was thinking about keeping my car through grad school. Do I have to pay sales tax (or some other tax) again when I move to New Jersey for grad school? I bought the car in California.

Thanks for your help.

Old 02-24-2006, 12:41 AM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Sales tax question

The guy that buys your car will have to pay sales.

Old 02-24-2006, 01:34 AM
1st Gear

Even if they are out of state?

Any thoughts on the second bit, about moving my car to new jersey from california?

Thanks.

Old 02-24-2006, 02:18 AM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: tnrr2

Even if they are out of state?

Any thoughts on the second bit, about moving my car to new jersey from california?

Thanks.
Even if they're from Alaska, they pay the sales tax.

On the second half, Jersey is the stolen Audi capitol of the US. So make sure you have a garage.

Edit- Where are you going to grad school? If you bring it out to Jersey, you will only have to pay title and registration fees which will be less than $100, but you'll also have to pay for 4-5 days worth of hotels, gas, food, etc.

Old 02-24-2006, 02:56 AM
Senior Administrator

ORIGINAL: cary12

The guy that buys your car will have to pay sales.

he'll most likely hafta pay sales tax to the state in which he intends to register the car, as part of the registration process... He won't pay it to you (unless you wanna be a superd!<& and make him pay tax TWICE!)

Old 02-24-2006, 02:58 AM
1st Gear

Edit- Where are you going to grad school? If you bring it out to Jersey, you will only have to pay title and registration fees which will be less than $100, but you'll also have to pay for 4-5 days worth of hotels, gas, food, etc.
So I don't have to re-pay sales tax in New Jersey when I change my address? Someone told me this, but he was very vague about the exact law... apparently a friend of his had to re-pay sales tax when she moved her car to New York. I think it was because she bought the car recently...

Is the law different for each state?

Old 02-24-2006, 03:02 AM
1st Gear

he'll most likely hafta pay sales tax to the state in which he intends to register the car, as part of the registration process... He won't pay it to you (unless you wanna be a superd!<& and make him pay tax TWICE!)
So if I sell it in california, he pays me just the selling price of the car and he takes care of tax etc when he registers it as his?

Old 02-24-2006, 03:31 AM
Site Moderator

You don't have to pay for anything after you sell it.

This should answer most questions related to bringing the car to NJ-
http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/cit_regis..._of_state.html

State vehicle inspection is free if you go to a NJ state inspection station, not the local gas station that has inspections for $40-$70, unless you want to hide something. In which case I can recommend a shop.

Insurance is kinda weird here. You have to have a NJ insurance card. The faxed copy from your insurance agency won't work. You have to have a card sent in the mail.

Also, all the gas stations are full service.

Old 02-24-2006, 05:19 AM
Administrator

LMFAO.. you dont have to pay sales tax unless you are buying it, if you already own the car, then you obviously arent buying it so you are not going to pay sales tax... You will have to pay registration Fees, and licensing fees

Old 02-24-2006, 05:57 AM
1st Gear

Right, right. The question was really whether I would have to pay sales tax twice if I moved to NJ and didn't sell the car.

I seem to have got all the answers I need. Thanks guys!

Quick Reply: Sales tax question