Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

A sad, sad, sad day... Timing Belt. Boom.

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 09:44 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by kolbs_91
Even if having the money to fix it in the next year or two (maybe even more) isn't feasible, if you have the storage space and enough love for the car, I'd just keep it. One day you'll have the means to do the repairs and may appreciate that you decided to hang on to it. After three years and 40k miles of ownership I know I couldn't let my car go if something similar happened and there was even the slightest chance I could someday have it up and running again. I really love my car, though... Perhaps a bit too much.

Best of luck with whatever decision you make!

Exactly where I'm at. Put a rod thru the block on my TT a couple years ago, and its been sitting in my storage unit ever since. Love the car, but love the 4000 more, so that takes priority.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:48 PM
1st Gear

Sorry... I mis-typed... Should be head. Not heads. It is in fact a 2001 1.8T.

I live in Dayton, Ohio - Beavercreek specifically. I'd be happy to hear from someone who's in the area and has been through this before . Unfortunately I don't have a ton of space for storage, but that should change come Spring time (I'm moving... hopefully to a place with a bigger garage).

Decisions decisions... well I know the first one is made. It's getting towed back to my driveway. You guys are making a good argument for the next decision... which is putting it in hibernation until I can start working on it... hopefully soon.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:55 PM
4th Gear

Read my sig quote (not the noobs click here link... the part about the 1.8T). Welcome to the 1.8T family.

Old 12-14-2011, 06:37 AM
1st Gear

I hope everyone doesn't mind if I also ask a question regarding timing belts?

I found this topic in my search.

I (original owner) 2005 TT, 1.8 with 53k receive notices regarding upkeep etc, discounts etc for my Audi. I always go to my original dealer (I have to/want to) go that route. They are saying $700 for labor alone assuming this is an all day job that's how they are arriving at the fee for the labor/hr etc. Any advice etc would be greatly appreciated. I live on Long Island, NY. Thanks, G

Old 12-14-2011, 07:31 AM
4th Gear

The parts alone are about 300 bucks for a complete kit. Labor is about right. Most places will run between 900-1200 to do a TB job. If you have the means to DIY, I would suggest that route. If not, getting it done at a dealership usually cost a bit more than a reputable independent shop, but the price sounds about right.

Old 12-14-2011, 09:39 AM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

Originally Posted by star
They are saying $700 for labor alone assuming this is an all day job that's how they are arriving at the fee for the labor/hr etc. Any advice etc would be greatly appreciated. I live on Long Island, NY. Thanks, G
I'm not a guy that works for a shop or in a shop or has anything to do with a shop but I will tell you how I have heard that they figure the hourly charge out for the estimate. There is a "book" that lists all the different types of services available and how long they are "supposed" to take. For instance, you bring your TT into the shop and ask about the timing service. They go to the book and see that the timing service is listed as a 5 hour job. They multiply the hourly labor rate by 5 hours and bang. There is your labor charge. If the mechanic gets the job done in 3 hours, you still pay for 5 hours because the book says 5 hours. If it takes him 8, you still only pay for 5. However, if while doing the timing service, they decide that your coolant sensor needs to be replaced, they go to the book and see that the "book" hours for the sensor is 1 hour. They will replace the sensor and charge you 1 hour for labor even though the mechanic was already doing the timing job and in reality it took him less than 5 minutes for the sensor.

-TL;DR they charge hours based on how long the service manual says it is supposed to take.

disclaimer again: I'm not in the "business" this is just my layman's understanding of how it works.

Old 12-14-2011, 01:17 PM
2nd Gear

Maybe just replace the engine? I don't know how much used engines go for, but around here they are much less than $1000. Find one with low mileage, have someone change out the water pump and anything else that needs to be done before putting into the car and you're good to go.

This happened to my ex gfs tiburon a few years ago, we found an engine for $200, and had it installed for $350...also it was a backyard mechanic type of guy who did the work, not a garage. If you can find someone like that you will be fine.

Your costs will probably be more than that but I don't think it will run you more than $1500 total.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:09 PM
Site Moderator

Keep it. The most you could sell it for is about $4k and that's if the car is in pristine condition.

What engine code do you have? Check for piston damage, then go from there.

IF the pistons are okay, you have a couple options.
1 - Rebuild the head. At a minimum you're looking at new valves and valve seals (seals should be done anytime the valves are replaced).

2 - Find a replacement head. Generally you can find one on the forums for $400-500. Add $100 to get it checked out at a shop.

In either case you're still going to need a head gasket, head studs, valve cover gasket set, exhaust manifold gasket, exhaust manifold nuts and studs, and timing belt/water pump/thermostat. Probably turbo to manifold bolts and gasket.

If the pistons are toast -

3 - In addition to option 1 or 2, rebuild the bottom end. This can get expensive very fast. Talk to multiple shops and shop around for parts.

4 - Replace the entire motor. You can find them on the forums or Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market . Expect $1200+ for the motor.

No matter what route you go, if you're doing it yourself, taking out the motor vs only the head makes it much much more difficult.

The timing belt parts will be around $300. Labor for the timing belt is typically 3-4 hours for an A4, not sure on a transverse motor though.

Old 12-20-2011, 12:42 AM
5th Gear

I've done 3 TT timing belts.
First time was 8hrs, no thermostat swap,
second was 7 hrs with thermostat,
third time was 6hrs with thermostat.

I'd have knocked time off all three if I didn't have a habit of trying to put parts back on in the wrong order.... Dont think i was drinking enough beer.