Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes, of course
37.50%
No, are you crazy?
58.33%
I don't know...
4.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Riddle time! Airplane vs. conveyor

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 08:49 PM
Senior Administrator
Default RE: Riddle time! Airplane vs. conveyor

So, let's see if I got this right...

Lets say the aircraft needs 200 knots airspeed, or roughly 175mph, ground (I know, it's off by o.oowhatever... I rounded, OK?). If teh conveyor is matching the planes GROUND speed, in the opposite direction, then the "relative" air speed is somehwere close to 100kts (87.5mph), unless he's heading into teh wind, whch wasn't clearly stated, on way or teh other, in the original foumula.

Anyway, we're talking about a 2-1 ratio of thrust to "relative" air speed, given the fact that the "ground" is moving backwards in equal amounts relative to teh planes forward ground speed...

SOOOOO, 400kts is the speed I believe teh tires will be rotating at, or approximately 345miles/hour...

They'd BURST, and the landing gear would collapse, and something would rupture, and kerosese would go spraying all over teh place, and something would ignite it, and a BIG fireball would happen, and teh news organizations would beat the ambulances to the scene of the crash, and people who ought NOT to be on TV, speaking, WILL be on TV, speaking, and teh FAA would subsuquently make it illegal to have airlines take off while sittiing on a conveyor set to move opposite to teh relative forward motion/ground speed of passenger aircraft...

So, let's NOT do this, OK?

It could only ever end BADLY[&o]

Old 10-28-2006, 11:01 PM
5th Gear

ORIGINAL: karguy427

The airplane WOULD take off. The propulsion of the jet engines emits a force against the air. The plane's wheels are not powered. They would just be spinning a lot faster than normal when the plane hits its take-off speed.
GENIUS...now why didn't i think of that.........o haha thats right i already did

Old 10-28-2006, 11:45 PM
Senior Administrator

I think MINE would take precedence, LONG before it hit take-off speed, see above, for details

Old 10-29-2006, 12:21 AM
5th Gear

lol ya ya. ur so smart jazz

Old 11-01-2006, 02:53 AM
4th Gear

Being an avaiation enthusist and a science major with somewhat special interest i know it would not take off. its just as if it were flying 120 knots into a 20 knot wind the plane would only be flying at 100 knots because the wind would create resistance, same deal here 2 bodies in motion moving at the smae speed in opposite directions, they cancel each other out.

Old 11-01-2006, 03:37 AM
Administrator

no not really.. it would take off

Old 11-01-2006, 04:40 AM
5th Gear

ORIGINAL: SAudi

Being an avaiation enthusist and a science major with somewhat special interest i know it would not take off. its just as if it were flying 120 knots into a 20 knot wind the plane would only be flying at 100 knots because the wind would create resistance, same deal here 2 bodies in motion moving at the smae speed in opposite directions, they cancel each other out.
nope considering it had tires rated for like 400 mph it would take off. there no resistance acting against it. if there was a 100+ mph wind than no it wouldnt take off but the conveyor belt moving in the opposite direction doesn't apply any resistance to it cuz the wheel is essentially a wheel on a stick thats not connected to anything.

Old 11-01-2006, 02:09 PM
Site Moderator

saudi.. sorry to break it to ya, but youre incorrect. Speed does not equate to force. Theyre two seperate systems that arent cancelling each other.. If a plane was flying 2 inches above the ground while the conveyor was going the opposite direction would it cnacel each other out?

A great example if you dont see it yet.. If a plane was landing on the conveyor that matched the speed instantly, would the plane instantly just stop? no.. it would land pretty much like normal while the wheels spun really fast.

Old 11-01-2006, 02:11 PM
Site Moderator

saudi.. sorry to break it to ya, but youre incorrect. Speed does not equate to force. Theyre two seperate systems that arent cancelling each other.. If a plane was flying 2 inches above the ground while the conveyor was going the opposite direction would it cnacel each other out?

A great example if you dont see it yet.. If a plane was landing on the conveyor that matched the speed instantly, would the plane instantly just stop? no.. it would land pretty much like normal while the wheels spun really fast.

Old 11-01-2006, 03:11 PM
Lvl-65 Sorceress: 9,571-HP/7,796-EP

i say...let's just all get ON the airplane, sit in first class and order up a few cocktails. we can argue about where the plane will land!

nice avatar change. you must like motion.

Quick Reply: Riddle time! Airplane vs. conveyor