Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Riddle me THIS, Batman...

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2006, 07:33 AM
5th Gear
Default RE: Riddle me THIS, Batman...

ORIGINAL: FezA4

OK... dont know if this one has been posted yet but here it goes...

Name he object. The maker doesnt want it. The buyer doesnt use it. And the user doesnt know s/he's using it when hes using it.

I have no idea this is pissing me off, lol

Old 01-21-2006, 11:03 AM
Senior Administrator

ORIGINAL: BadLuckAudi

ORIGINAL: FezA4

OK... dont know if this one has been posted yet but here it goes...

Name he object. The maker doesnt want it. The buyer doesnt use it. And the user doesnt know s/he's using it when hes using it.

I have no idea this is pissing me off, lol
I tink this one was done about 4-5 pages in...

A casket

Old 01-21-2006, 01:50 PM
Administrator

ohhh good one!

Old 01-21-2006, 02:51 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: ckandes1

ORIGINAL: Kellya4

Yep, Brad opened the window after an exausting day of window cleaning, and jumped inside.

1)There is a two foot long plastic boat in the bathtub, the boat is filled with metal nuts and bolts. The boat tips over, dumping the contents into the water. With the nuts and bolts in the water, will the water level in the bathtub rise, fall or stay the same as it was when the nuts and bolts were in the boat?

2)This is a most unusual paragraph. How quickly can you find out what is so unusual about it? It looks so ordinary you'd think nothing was wrong with it - and in fact, nothing is wrong with it. It is unusual though. Why? Study it, think about it, and you may find out. Try to do it without coaching. If you work at it for a bit it will dawn on you. So jump to it and try your skill at figuring it out. Good luck - don't blow your cool!
1) the water level would fall because the pressure from the weight of the metal isnt being pushed down on the boat, which has more surface area than the nuts and bolts themselves do.

2) no e's.
That is correct.

Old 01-21-2006, 04:29 PM

I tink this one was done about 4-5 pages in...

A casket

I knew it was done sometime already... didnt feel like searching it. Best one i gots.

Old 01-23-2006, 02:26 AM
4th Gear

So this is an A6 ans S6 interiors. Where do you put an aftermarket stereo?

Old 01-23-2006, 01:37 PM

ORIGINAL: ckandes1

Yep, Brad opened the window after an exausting day of window cleaning, and jumped inside.

1)There is a two foot long plastic boat in the bathtub, the boat is filled with metal nuts and bolts. The boat tips over, dumping the contents into the water. With the nuts and bolts in the water, will the water level in the bathtub rise, fall or stay the same as it was when the nuts and bolts were in the boat?

2)This is a most unusual paragraph. How quickly can you find out what is so unusual about it? It looks so ordinary you'd think nothing was wrong with it - and in fact, nothing is wrong with it. It is unusual though. Why? Study it, think about it, and you may find out. Try to do it without coaching. If you work at it for a bit it will dawn on you. So jump to it and try your skill at figuring it out. Good luck - don't blow your cool!
1) the water level would fall because the pressure from the weight of the metal isnt being pushed down on the boat, which has more surface area than the nuts and bolts themselves do.

2) no e's.
That is correct.

I'm not so sure about that one... Partially because surface area doesn't have anything to do with it. Volume (water displacement) is the real factor. However, the amount of water that the hull is displacing is directly related to the weight that the hull is supporting. With the same volume being put into the tub... does it change at all?

Old 01-23-2006, 02:21 PM
4th Gear

I could have sworn that I posted something on this thread last night. Did it get deleted? Maybe it wasn't a riddle in the classic sense.

Old 01-23-2006, 10:05 PM
2nd Gear

Due to the weight and construction of the metal nuts and bolts, in this case, the water level will go down. A floating object displaces its weight and a submerged object displaces its volume.

The letter e (the most common letter in our language), does not appear in the paragraph.

Old 01-24-2006, 12:17 AM
3rd Gear

If the nuts are in the bathtub, then it is the weight that determines how much water that is displaced. If the nuts are in the water, then it is a matter of 'density' of the material. As metal is more dense that water then for any given weight there is less volume. As such, the volume of the water decreases when the nuts are in the water...

Quick Reply: Riddle me THIS, Batman...