Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Ricer - what!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2004, 10:14 AM
1st Gear
Default Ricer - what!!!

Stupid question #1

What is a ricer? I gathered by the tone, (a) a boy racer ... jap crap driver with extensive and un-necessary (no class!) mods. (b) someone who has a really crappy car that tries to beef it up and fails miserably (uk members would probably know what i'd be on about if I said Vauxhall Nova!).

Where does the name ricer come from - and what is it a derivative of?

Please put my mind at ease

Phil

Old 06-10-2004, 03:25 AM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Ricer - what!!!

Rice was the name given to any heavily modified japanese car, or it was a term for a modification product for a Japanese car. The Honda modification explosion that happened several years ago spawned the use of the term by snobby, non-Japanese car owners - primarily euro owners.
What happened often would be a Honda Civic hatchback that had an oversized exhaust tip and or resonator attached that would make it sound horribly loud. Then the add-on craze began: Body kits, wings (BIG wings), bigger wheels, super slammed lowered suspensions, wild paint jobs, and lots of stickers!!

Now a ricer is any car that has added products or that has been modified needlessly with products that do nothing but draw attention to the car.

Bear in mind that:
1. a ricer can be a car or the owner who drives a rice car.
2. rice is the general term; it is used to describe a part or modification or the car in general.
3. ricey is a subjective or judgmental term; "Those wheels look too ricey."

Old 06-24-2004, 06:02 PM
1st Gear

LMAO!! That should go in a dictionary!

Old 06-27-2004, 02:48 PM
3rd Gear

It should be noted that rice is the greatest natural resource of Japan.
[8D]

Old 07-02-2004, 02:03 PM

lol that is some funny ****

Old 07-16-2004, 05:48 AM
1st Gear

dude imolas u are one smart cookie, real potential is what i see haha...damn man...

Old 07-16-2004, 01:43 PM
3rd Gear

The German car equivalent is "Kraut" or "Krauter". See the vocab list on the New Members Forum: START HERE! thread.

Old 07-16-2004, 08:22 PM
1st Gear

personally u think of a ricer of someone who owns a honda or acura or mitsubishi and tries to make is sound fast. owning a jap car and putting triple the amount into it then u actually paid for it, rediculous. its like a harley, all show no go. owners of ricers and harleys think alike..."loud and proud".

now for instance, my friend got a mitsubishi 3000gt..hes hooked it up, c at back exhaust..the whole deal...and i dont consider him a ricer simply because his car is fast now...its those flashy bullshit cars that are ricers. i will never be a ricer simply because i own an audi. cant classify non jap cars as ricers. eat my words

Old 07-16-2004, 10:33 PM
1st Gear

rice is an opinion....

i think any car that is done w/ class, whether it be a civic, 3000gt, or a 1987 prelude, is not rice....

people who get tunable exhaust systems (ones that come w/ a silencer) and run around w/o the silencer in are annoying, sure, take it out when you go to the track... but for the love of god leave it in when just toolin around town...

a body kit is fine, when you have matching colors.....

dont use 3m tape to stick hood scoops on your car.... and then leave them the color they came...

dont pretend you drive a 5spd when its really an automatic, you dont have to let up off the gas when the transmission shifts... nor do you have to use the 1, or 2 option to make them go faster...

all show no go cars are fine, if they want trophies for the way their car looks thats cool w/ me... if they put in the effort they get the credit...

if you want a stock looking clean exterior and a 400hp monster under your hood thats cool too... just do it w/ class....

Old 07-16-2004, 10:36 PM
1st Gear

i agree my friend...i agree

Quick Reply: Ricer - what!!!