Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Recomend an amp to me!

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 06:59 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: Recomend an amp to me!

ORIGINAL: JohnnyBravoA4

you could but you would have to figure out which pins are sending the signal you want.. dose your car how have an amp powering any of the speakers?

y
i dont have any amps that i know of.. there are little amp looking things on the factory rear deck speakers... But wouldnt i be able to tell which pins to spice into by looking at the wiring harness diagram on the headunit like the pic i posted on the last page?? and should i use a basic line out converter like the one posted as well?? Here is the description:

LOC500 Scosche Fixed 500 MV output with new molded case. LOC-500 is a low-cost alternative to the LOC-E. The LOC-500 uses passive, fixed output circuitry to provide high to low-level conversion. Compatible with all head units

Old 05-23-2006, 07:05 PM
4th Gear

take the what you have there in the pic go to your trunk, match those wires up the wires acutally going to each speckere in the back there. then you can just jump an RCA cable from that to the amp .

Old 05-23-2006, 07:11 PM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: flyboy

take the what you have there in the pic go to your trunk, match those wires up the wires acutally going to each speckere in the back there. then you can just jump an RCA cable from that to the amp .
well then it would be running off of the rear speaker's frequency... if i have a line out for pre amp outputs on the back of my head unit shouldnt i use those since it wont tap into the rear speakers and cause sound quality loss??

Plus there are only 2 wires coming out of this and there would be 4 speaker wires to tap into.. +/- for each rear speaker..

Old 05-23-2006, 07:16 PM
3rd Gear

there is still a power antena lead out of your head unit, i had one in mine, some of auid antena is in the rear windshield, and they require power.
as for the diagram yes, you should be about to just splice it with the adapter you have or you can tap into the rear speakers like flyboy said, you wont be able to really tell or rear a difference in sq. if your really worried about sq you would just get a new head unit and not have to deal with this situation

Old 05-23-2006, 07:27 PM
Site Moderator

there is still a power antena lead out of your head unit, i had one in mine, some of auid antena is in the rear windshield, and they require power.
as for the diagram yes, you should be about to just splice it with the adapter you have or you can tap into the rear speakers like flyboy said, you wont be able to really tell or rear a difference in sq. if your really worried about sq you would just get a new head unit and not have to deal with this situation
Thanks for the help...so the

Power antenna wire going out of the head unit is blue and white and i should splice the remote wire for the amp into it?
Red power line from amp goes to battery?
Black ground from amp to something metal on the frame??
RCA adapter (^pic^) from line out on head unit to male rca wires to amp?

Why am I making this so difficult?

If I have my preamp rca's hooked into the line out on the head unit am i able to adjust the bass level from my head unit *****/settings?

Old 05-23-2006, 07:39 PM
3rd Gear

as for the color of the wire for the antena im not quite sure, i dont remember I only did mine and i replaceed the head unit, I just remember haveing to hook up the power antena wire because i didnt get any reseption with out it so i know its there, if there is no blue wire you might have to play hit and miss. take a volt meter and splice some wires while the unit is pluged in, find a wire that gives you 12 v when you turn on the radio..

as for the base levels for the amp either way you do it you should be able to adjust the bass with the level controler on the head unit.

yea the power wire to the batery, make sure you use a fuse and put the fuse about 12-16 inches from the batery then run the wire to you amp, for the ground just make sure if the surface is painted you use a peace of sand paper to take the paint off to get a good ground..

Old 05-23-2006, 07:50 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: onepoint8tee

If I have my preamp rca's hooked into the line out on the head unit am i able to adjust the bass level from my head unit *****/settings?
Yes, you'll be able to control the bass level from the HU.

There have been numerous postings by people who have used convertors tapped into signal level outputs describing poor sound quality. Doesn't seem to happen to everyone though. If you have line level outputs on the back of the HU the best choice is to splice into them. You may not since you don't have the Bose system, and all amplifiation may be in the HU (don't know for sure as I've not worked on a non-Bose system). As someone commented above, there are no RCA input jacks on the back of Symphony systems so splicing is unavoidable.

If you decide to splice into signal level outputs and use a convertor, make it easy on yourself and tap into the rear speaker wires and avoid the need to pull out the HU and run cables all the way back.

Old 05-23-2006, 07:55 PM
Site Moderator

as for the color of the wire for the antena im not quite sure, i dont remember I only did mine and i replaceed the head unit, I just remember haveing to hook up the power antena wire because i didnt get any reseption with out it so i know its there, if there is no blue wire you might have to play hit and miss. take a volt meter and splice some wires while the unit is pluged in, find a wire that gives you 12 v when you turn on the radio..

as for the base levels for the amp either way you do it you should be able to adjust the bass with the level controler on the head unit.

yea the power wire to the batery, make sure you use a fuse and put the fuse about 12-16 inches from the batery then run the wire to you amp, for the ground just make sure if the surface is painted you use a peace of sand paper to take the paint off to get a good ground..
Thanks for the help..
So that generic looking line converter I keep posting should work if i have line out pins on the back of my head unit right?

Old 05-23-2006, 08:00 PM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: VitaminB6

ORIGINAL: onepoint8tee

Yes, you'll be able to control the bass level from the HU.

There have been numerous postings by people who have used convertors tapped into signal level outputs describing poor sound quality. Doesn't seem to happen to everyone though. If you have line level outputs on the back of the HU the best choice is to splice into them. You may not since you don't have the Bose system, and all amplifiation may be in the HU (don't know for sure as I've not worked on a non-Bose system). As someone commented above, there are no RCA input jacks on the back of Symphony systems so splicing is unavoidable.

If you decide to splice into signal level outputs and use a convertor, make it easy on yourself and tap into the rear speaker wires and avoid the need to pull out the HU and run cables all the way back.
Alright thanks... I may just get the converter for the rear speakers and see what happens... Know of a good wire in the trunk to hook the remote wire up to?? CD changer power wire?? Or is that on only when you select CDCH on the head unit??

Old 05-23-2006, 08:01 PM
1st Gear

I took some female RCA jacks with a short tail on them, stripped some insulation from the wires coming out of the rear of the HU, soldered the tail from the jack inline, then taped them over with black electrical tape. You should instead just cut the line and use some inline connectors (such as bullet connectors) but I prefered to do no cutting.

The wiring diagram from the back of your HU looks the same as mine - I guess it didn't change over the years. I tapped into the common and into the +'ve for the LR speaker (chose that one for no other reason than the sub is installed in the LR of the trunk). If you use a convertor, just do the same splicing but splice in right at a rear speaker.

Quick Reply: Recomend an amp to me!