Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Recomend an amp to me!

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 02:02 AM
Site Moderator
Default RE: Recomend an amp to me!

Well i read that its better to have more power going to the speakers than not enough, so is a 400w rms amp bad with a 300w rms rated sub?? cuz i just ordered an xplod 400rms class d... ...

and... is it a bad idea to mount the amp to the sub box??

Old 05-23-2006, 02:13 AM
5th Gear

i've known a few people who've been pretty unhappy with xplod decks and speakers..running that won't kill your sub or your amp, but you'll get the optimal sound quality running the recommended RMS wattage..alpine's site should show you what the optimum wattage level is...if you go higher, that's fine, you just have to keep your gain level turned down on the amp...you're going to have to do some wire splicing at the harness in the trunk...and you'll probably need to buy a ground loop isolator because audi uses a common ground for all the speakers, which causes terrible interference with the sub

Old 05-23-2006, 02:45 AM
2nd Gear

just so ya know its a 2 channel amp.. if thats what you were looking for.. i had it bridged over to 1 channel... no big deal if you wont work out for you.. just been wanting to get it out of my living room.. and its a awesome amp. they retail for like $370..

Old 05-23-2006, 03:02 AM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: A4 the Quattro

just so ya know its a 2 channel amp.. if thats what you were looking for.. i had it bridged over to 1 channel... no big deal if you wont work out for you.. just been wanting to get it out of my living room.. and its a awesome amp. they retail for like $370..
shat man thanks anyway i got all impatient and impulsive and ordered the sony one. How old is your amp? I was trying to look it up but couldnt find it exactly.

So do i just splice into the rear speaker wiring for this??? I know how to run the power cable w/fuse link and ground, and how to hook the sub woofer up to the amp but im not sure about using the rear speakers or how to hook that part up.. Im not gunna splice in RCA's behind the stock deck if i dont have to... but would i just..or..uh.. how the hell should i hook this thing up??

Old 05-23-2006, 03:35 AM
2nd Gear

?? i just googled it and it brought up like a thousand stores selling it..

search JL Audio 300.2

i think bentframe wants to buy it.. so no harm no foul..

good luck with that xplod amp.. if you buy cheap amps you will regret it.. i bought a low class rockford fosgate amp a few years ago.. and had to have it sent back to the manufacturer 2 times.. because it kept blowing out.. it would also cut out after a few hours of driving.. b/c it would get too hot..

Old 05-23-2006, 03:46 AM
1st Gear

As far as hooking it up, you can go buy adapters that take speaker level inputs and change them into RCA's for pretty cheap. Just go talk to a local audio shop, they should have them in stock.

And my advice, for your price range, get either a Rockford Fosgate or Alpine mono block amp. Or if you find another $100 to drop, look into the JL e series (i think a e1400 would be the model), and if you find another $50-100 get a JL 250/1. That would make that baby purr... or pound... since you know... its a subwoofer...

Old 05-23-2006, 03:47 AM
Site Moderator

?? i just googled it and it brought up like a thousand stores selling it..

search JL Audio 300.2

i think bentframe wants to buy it.. so no harm no foul..

good luck with that xplod amp.. if you buy cheap amps you will regret it.. i bought a low class rockford fosgate amp a few years ago.. and had to have it sent back to the manufacturer 2 times.. because it kept blowing out.. it would also cut out after a few hours of driving.. b/c it would get too hot..
Is that JL a class D?? Thats what i wanted...Hopefuly it will be reliable, i wont be pounding it 50 cent style.. i just want a little extra oomph.

Old 05-23-2006, 03:52 AM
2nd Gear

Product Features

Specifications:

Rated Power (stereo): 150 W RMS x 2 @ 1.5 ohm-4 ohm (11V-14.5V)
Rated Power (bridged): 300 W RMS x 1 @ 3 ohm-8 ohm (11V-14.5V)
THD at Rated Power: <0.03% @ 4 ohm
S/N Ratio*: >108.5 dB below rated power
Frequency Response: 5 Hz-30 KHz (+0, -1dB)
Damping Factor:>200 @ 4 ohm per ch./50 Hz
Input Range: switchable from 200mV-2V RMS to 800mV-8V RMS
Dimensions: 13.4"L x 9.25"W x 2.36"H

Features:
Differential-Balanced Input Topology: (1 pair of inputs)
On-board Crossover: fully-variable (50 Hz-5 KHz), selectable-slope LP or HP (12 or 24 dB per octave)
Preamp Output: 2-channel (full-range, LP or HP)
Speaker output connections: accept up to 8ga. wire
+12V and Ground connections: accept up to 4ga. Wire

Product Description

The new range of JL Audio amplifiers combine a whole host of new and exciting patent protected technologies in order to give you the customer the best possible sound.

JL Audio full range amplifiers benefit from an exciting new technology. Class AB circuitry employs identical type transistors for push and pull with true buffering from the load impedance. This design achieves absolute power symmetry and extremely low distortion over a wide range of load impedances. Its a significant breakthrough in Class AB circuitry and its only available from JL Audio.

Old 05-23-2006, 03:57 AM
4th Gear

Product Features

Specifications:

Rated Power (stereo): 150 W RMS x 2 @ 1.5 ohm-4 ohm (11V-14.5V)
Rated Power (bridged): 300 W RMS x 1 @ 3 ohm-8 ohm (11V-14.5V)
THD at Rated Power: <0.03% @ 4 ohm
S/N Ratio*: >108.5 dB below rated power
Frequency Response: 5 Hz-30 KHz (+0, -1dB)
Damping Factor:>200 @ 4 ohm per ch./50 Hz
Input Range: switchable from 200mV-2V RMS to 800mV-8V RMS
Dimensions: 13.4"L x 9.25"W x 2.36"H

Features:
Differential-Balanced Input Topology: (1 pair of inputs)
On-board Crossover: fully-variable (50 Hz-5 KHz), selectable-slope LP or HP (12 or 24 dB per octave)
Preamp Output: 2-channel (full-range, LP or HP)
Speaker output connections: accept up to 8ga. wire
+12V and Ground connections: accept up to 4ga. Wire

Product Description

The new range of JL Audio amplifiers combine a whole host of new and exciting patent protected technologies in order to give you the customer the best possible sound.

JL Audio full range amplifiers benefit from an exciting new technology. Class AB circuitry employs identical type transistors for push and pull with true buffering from the load impedance. This design achieves absolute power symmetry and extremely low distortion over a wide range of load impedances. Its a significant breakthrough in Class AB circuitry and its only available from JL Audio.

And thats why you only get the good stuff.

I would problably put a system in my car but I can't afford anything I think is worth the effort.

Old 05-23-2006, 03:58 AM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: immgeorge

As far as hooking it up, you can go buy adapters that take speaker level inputs and change them into RCA's for pretty cheap. Just go talk to a local audio shop, they should have them in stock.
do those inputs splice into the speaker wiring in the trunk?

Quick Reply: Recomend an amp to me!