Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Recomend an amp to me!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 02:09 PM
Site Moderator
Default Recomend an amp to me!

About to run a 10" Alpine type s sub and im pretty sure that i just need a 2 channel amp to hook it up with the rear speakers.. Can someone recomend a cheap amp that will be at least a semi quality amp?? Thanks.

Old 05-22-2006, 02:39 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Recomend an amp to me!

I use a Class D mono amp to power my sub (see advice below copied from Crutchfield - follow this link to get to their site and follow the links to additional information). You can't go wrong if you pick a reputable name brand (my Sony amp works great).

Subwoofers — A mono amplifier makes a great choice for powering subwoofers. They're specifically designed for low-frequency reproduction, with built-in bass boost and low-pass filters. Class D mono amps are often a good choice — they draw less current, produce less heat, and are more efficient than conventional amp designs. You can use a 2-channel amp for powering two subs, or bridge the amp to single channel operation for a single woofer. Likewise, a 4-channel amp can be bridged to 2-channel mode to power a pair of subs. How much power you need depends on the subwoofer(s) you'll be using, but figure on at least 150-200 watts per sub for 10" or 12" subwoofers.

Old 05-22-2006, 02:42 PM
5th Gear

i like RF punch amps because they have the remote volume control independent of the system volume...and they sound pretty damn clean too

Old 05-22-2006, 03:00 PM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: VitaminB6

I use a Class D mono amp to power my sub (see advice below copied from Crutchfield - follow this link to get to their site and follow the links to additional information). You can't go wrong if you pick a reputable name brand (my Sony amp works great).

Subwoofers — A mono amplifier makes a great choice for powering subwoofers. They're specifically designed for low-frequency reproduction, with built-in bass boost and low-pass filters. Class D mono amps are often a good choice — they draw less current, produce less heat, and are more efficient than conventional amp designs. You can use a 2-channel amp for powering two subs, or bridge the amp to single channel operation for a single woofer. Likewise, a 4-channel amp can be bridged to 2-channel mode to power a pair of subs. How much power you need depends on the subwoofer(s) you'll be using, but figure on at least 150-200 watts per sub for 10" or 12" subwoofers.
wow, really good info there... thanks. have you guys ever heard an alpine sub?type s??? i winged it ebay style for what i think was a good name with a good price and not knowing **** about subs/amps in general...

Old 05-22-2006, 03:13 PM
Site Moderator

So if my sub can only handle 900Watts, should i get a 1000w amp if its for a good price??

Old 05-22-2006, 03:59 PM
5th Gear

check out your sub model# on alpine's site and see what the optimum wattage is...also, depending on whether the sub is a single voice coil or dual voice coil, and also depending on the ohm rating for each coil, the amp you need could range from a 200w to an 1800w

Old 05-22-2006, 07:40 PM
Site Moderator

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-vymgqs0...0&I=500SWS1042
^^This is the sub i got (but for $80 shipped.)

I guess it has dual voice coils (what does that mean?)
Do you think there is a suitable amp out there for less than $100 that would work well?

Old 05-22-2006, 07:46 PM
4th Gear

I personaly like one amp. but it depents at what voltage. As for the music type of amp. **** if I knwo.

Old 05-22-2006, 08:13 PM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: flyboy

I personaly like one amp. but it depents at what voltage. As for the music type of amp. **** if I knwo.
What the **** are you talking about?

Old 05-22-2006, 08:18 PM
2nd Gear

dude i have an amp that i've been wanting to sell.. its a JL Audi 300.2 amp.. works awesome.. i had it hooked up to a 12" Infinity sub..

i was supposed to sell it to a guy local here.. but i got lazy and never emailed him back..

here are some pics.. do some research on it if you want..

'

Quick Reply: Recomend an amp to me!