Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Radar Detector; A Long Term Investment?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 05:58 PM
1st Gear

I guess it's settled. achTTung declared, " radar detectors are dumb."

The remaining questions are whether achTTung is talking about the hardware or the users, ...or both.

Originally Posted by achTTung
No, radar detectors are dumb.

I get out of my tickets the old fashion way, requesting massive amounts of paperwork from the court until somebody drops the ball, and my ticket gets dropped with it.

But generally, I just try to keep it within 10mph of the speed limit.

You wanna drive fast, take it to a track.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:32 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by ben721364
The remaining questions are whether achTTung is talking about the hardware or the users, ...or both.
That's on a case by case basis. ha

Old 12-29-2011, 12:03 AM
Tech Guru

I use the same methods that achTTung does. Except generally these handy-dandy, visual object sensing gadgets (EYES, MUTHAFUCKA) that I have come in pretty handy. I don't know about the rest of you but mine were standard from the factory. Also, I've found that having a decent knowledge of the local cops' habits comes in equally as useful.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:23 AM
Last Place - just "necause"

Originally Posted by achTTung
No, radar detectors are dumb.

I get out of my tickets the old fashion way, requesting massive amounts of paperwork from the court until somebody drops the ball, and my ticket gets dropped with it.
Never heard of something like this. Here you get a ticket then you request a court hearing. At the hearing the judge decides if you are guilty or not. Police normally come with the certs for their guns to court and it is assumed that the officer has had the proper training. But I guess you could request to see this too and just extend the hearing to another day.

But generally, I just try to keep it within 10mph of the speed limit.

You wanna drive fast, take it to a track.
1mph over is speeding. The question then becomes what is acceptable?

Originally Posted by airguard350
I use the same methods that achTTung does. Except generally these handy-dandy, visual object sensing gadgets (EYES, MUTHAFUCKA) that I have come in pretty handy. I don't know about the rest of you but mine were standard from the factory. Also, I've found that having a decent knowledge of the local cops' habits comes in equally as useful.
Agree, if you know the habbits of the police it will come in real handy. and a detector doesn't hurt either.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:30 AM
1st Gear

Time to go. Unsupervised children have taken over this thread.

Old 12-29-2011, 06:06 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Lazydog
Never heard of something like this. Here you get a ticket then you request a court hearing. At the hearing the judge decides if you are guilty or not. Police normally come with the certs for their guns to court and it is assumed that the officer has had the proper training. But I guess you could request to see this too and just extend the hearing to another day.
Date on the ticket in NY was either the date you had to mail the ticket in by if you didn't want to automatically be guilty, or the date you show up to court to get a court date. At that point, you used to be able to request a supporting deposition, which would include the details of the situation (where exactly the cop was, what he used to get your speed, etc). If they didn't supply that by your court date, the ticket was dropped, since they failed to provide you with the information necessary to properly defend yourself.
Provided with a supporting deposition, the next route I would take was to request a discovery report, which got into the details of the cops certification to use radar/laser equipment, when the equipment was last calibrated, etc, etc. You would really need to research into what to ask for to not sound like an idiot wasting the courts time, but basically, if you're there, you're an idiot, and the whole point of this IS to waste the courts time.
Finally, if you really don't have a life and want to waste as much time and tax payer money as possible, if it looked like you were losing your fight, you ask to reschedule because you don't feel prepared or something. Just keep hoping the cop doesn't show up for one of the court dates, and without him/her there to provide their side of teh story, the ticket would end up dropped.

I dont know the in's and out's for the system here in VT yet, I've been here 4 years, and the only ticket I've got was for no inspection. That's happened twice. I've received probably 5 warnings for teh same thing. Various vehicles. No fighting that, just mail it in. $99.

Old 12-30-2011, 12:54 AM
1st Gear

In Holland radar detectors are illegal for some years now.
Radar detector detectors are common in police cars and the fine is pretty hefty
We do have all fixed speed cameras as GPS positions for most navigation software but mobile speed traps are a risk.
On the other hand: we are allowed to drive up to 130 km/hour and Germany is close by with no speed limit (still) ;-)

Old 12-30-2011, 04:57 AM
1st Gear

Do we all remember the question raised in the OP? "So I'm looking for a radar detector to prtect me from speed traps and was wondering if anyone has had experience with a particularly good product."

We have strayed WAY off topic.

Old 12-30-2011, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ben721364
We have strayed WAY off topic.
That's what happens in the OT forums OP get a V1 and be done.

Old 12-30-2011, 07:57 AM
1st Gear

You are right, I m sorry
Forgot to end with:
I have used the beltronics 975 and was VERY happy with it.
That is now an old system but Beltronics is still around
Today I think I would buy the Morpheous RoadPilot but not sure which databases it has (US too?)

Quick Reply: Radar Detector; A Long Term Investment?