Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Radar Detector; A Long Term Investment?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 01:24 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Lazydog

How does one use a radar detector properly? Simple, make sure you have another vehicle one half to a mile ahead of you. When that vehicle get tagged your radar detector should pick that up and give you plenty of time to slow down. If you are the first car in line then your detector isn't going to help much as you are the target.
THIS. If on flat ground. Hill in-between doesn't work

Also it is good to understand how the radar works. Radar cannot pick out a single vehicle and target it. It see everything in its field of vision, so while a cop might pull you over for speeding he could have just as well been following the car going the opposite direction. If you have a judge that understand how radar working he will most likely give you a pass and drop the ticket. I know I have been down that road already.
There you are kind of wrong. Radar can be set to gab cars only going towards the cop away from or both ways. The radar will grab the closest vehicle and at the same time it can show you the fastest vehicle ex. the car in front is doing 45 it will show that then in the "fast box" it will pick up the car behind doing 60. Like said before Radar gun are turned on and off in a fraction of a second. If a cop knows the front car is doing 45 he won't waste his time turning on the radar till he can hit the back car because thats clearly the one he wants.

Old 12-26-2011, 10:37 PM
Last Place - just "necause"

Please forgive me, for I did not know you are the one and only mighty Oz and the rest of us dumb@sses should heed to your BS.

Originally Posted by chocalotstarfish
THIS. If on flat ground. Hill in-between doesn't work
But it does. I see it here every day. Radar detectors have become just as sophisticated as the radar guns. Please come into the 21st century.

There you are kind of wrong. Radar can be set to gab cars only going towards the cop away from or both ways. The radar will grab the closest vehicle and at the same time it can show you the fastest vehicle ex. the car in front is doing 45 it will show that then in the "fast box" it will pick up the car behind doing 60. Like said before Radar gun are turned on and off in a fraction of a second.
I am sure, if not 99% positive, that leaving the gaps I stated no radar gun is going to be able to distinguish between the car ahead of me and my car. The margin for error is too great.

Please post a link to this information, the bit about the radar gun grabbing both cars and telling which one is speeding. Something in the US not over seas. And radar not lidar.

You are correct about radar guns turning on in fractions of a second. It is know as "Instant-On".

If a cop knows the front car is doing 45 he won't waste his time turning on the radar till he can hit the back car because thats clearly the one he wants.
So how does the cop know that the car in front is traveling at 45 so he can wait for me? What? He used his radar gun to get the speed? Hmm then why wouldn't my radar detector pick this up?

I think you missed the whole point of my post. The point being if you leave a car far enough ahead of you you will be tipped off 99% of the time about any radar ahead of you.

Old 12-27-2011, 12:54 AM
5th Gear

the V1 is great except you can't really see what band it is sensing at night cuz the letters don't light up. otherwise, it's great at picking up radar signals and loud as hell.

i bought one from craigslist the other day and it paid for itself on the drive home. the detector is a warning, it's how you interpret that warning that matters. the detector could be telling you there's a cop and you could just not slow down lol.

also there are tricks to using a detector. you never want to be flying down a road with no cars in front of you. the detector picks up stray signals and tells you there's a copper ahead. if a copper had his gun aimed at you, the detector will not help you. hence it's called a detector, not a jammer. also cops have Instant-On guns. basically it's a single pulse instead of a constant flow of signals. if the Instant-On gun is used on others cars ahead of you, the detector will pick up the signal. being that radar is an RF signal, it can bounce off stuff and through stuff, which is why a sensitive detector can pick these signals up

like ben said, detectors are only illegal in 1 US state and DC. jammers are illegal almost anywhere lol.

Last edited by hiwords; 12-27-2011 at 12:59 AM.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:07 AM
Super Moderator

Please forgive me, for I did not know you are the one and only mighty Oz and the rest of us dumb@sses should heed to your BS.
I'm not trying to be a dick bud I'm trying to just help you be more informed. And the "BS" you say I speak comes from truth.

I am sure, if not 99% positive, that leaving the gaps I stated no radar gun is going to be able to distinguish between the car ahead of me and my car. The margin for error is too great.

Please post a link to this information, the bit about the radar gun grabbing both cars and telling which one is speeding. Something in the US not over seas. And radar not lidar.

Okay... for a gun The Stalker II hand-held police radar.
If you go to features you will see about half way down
"Strongest and Faster display in all target modes"
Strongest means the strongest wave bouncing back Usually the front car. Can sometimes be a larger vehicle.
Faster means it is picking up the faster vehicle.
Now you are going to say I am speaking BS and don't know what I am talking about. So.... Stalker 2X - 2 Zone Directional Police Radar
So what you are looking at is the typical radar mounted in a car for patrol.
"allows tracking patrol speed after lock and utilizes three colors (amber, red, and green) to differentiate between the strongest, faster, and patrol speeds. "
Again Strongest is the closest vehicle. Then faster is in it's own color AKA "The Fast Box" and then the last is the patrol cars speed.

So how does the cop know that the car in front is traveling at 45 so he can wait for me? What? He used his radar gun to get the speed? Hmm then why wouldn't my radar detector pick this up?
Two reasons. A officer is trained to visually estimate a speed. and two if two objects are traveling with oh say 500yard between them the front car doing 45 the rear car doing 60 it is pretty easy to see the rear car closing the distance on the front car, that would mean the rear car is going faster than the front so wala.
I think you missed the whole point of my post. The point being if you leave a car far enough ahead of you you will be tipped off 99% of the time about any radar ahead of you.
No I agree with that 99% of the time that will work.

I'm not trying to argue with you, just wanting to state what you are telling people isn't 100% accurate and so when they get hit with a ticket they aren't shocked tat the guy online was kinda wrong.

A large issue is people read the stuff on radar detectors sites taking it for always truth, they are selling a product. Oh and my BS and knowledge of this isn't just because I'm some guy who can google search. I have multiple certifications in Radar and Lidar and working with them both for many years.

If I were to have anything I would recommend the V1. It's a product I've tried and tested and is pretty decent but just like anything else its not 100%. The plus with them is they will pay your ticket but it's still on you record.

Old 12-27-2011, 01:30 PM
5th Gear

agree with chocalotstarfish, and I learned the same stuff after myself and a friend were pulled over at the same time with the exact same speed.
My argument in court was going to be based around how the cop could hit us both with the same ticket indicating he used radar, at exactly the same time.
He then informed me how he was equipped with the stalker dual radar gun, and did in fact tag us both at the same time.
I went home and did A LOT more research on the equipment the cops were using.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:20 AM

My first question is were you running with radar detectors? If you were and still got caught then you don't know how to use them to your advantage, which is my point throughout this entire thread.

Sure chocalotstarfish has provided radar information, but in those examples they were using optimal situations which are not the norm for todays streets thus the cop is not going to have an easy time of proving which vehicle was speeding.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:47 AM
Tech Guru

Lazy don(chocolat) is a cop. So his all mighty ozness is just the fact he's a cop. And a's stated in post 3 or 4 I think. Only sure fire way to not get a speeding ticket is to not ******* speed.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:34 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by turbo kraut
Lazy don(chocolat) is a cop. So his all mighty ozness is just the fact he's a cop. And a's stated in post 3 or 4 I think. Only sure fire way to not get a speeding ticket is to not ******* speed.
You are mostly correct, though LEOs do occasionally make mistakes. I do think you could have expressed yourself just as well without using inappropriate language.

Old 12-28-2011, 01:26 PM

This is my last post on this subject as we are straying away from the OP question.

Speeding is a cat and mouse game that both the police and the drivers play. The ideal situation for the police is to have 1 or 2 vehicles within their radar range. When you start adding more cars it is easier for the speeder to get away, even though the officer will tell you it isn't. Now add more traffic and your detector is going to pick up the signal long before you become the target because he will be shooting more times in the hope of catching someone.

And any cop who uses radar and tells you he is not going to shot the lone car on the road is full of it as that car cannot mount a court case against the ticket and it is a sure win if the car is in fact speeding. Thus my statement of keeping a car one half to one mile ahead of you so he is the target and you see the signal before you become the target.

Old 12-28-2011, 05:39 PM
5th Gear

My first question is were you running with radar detectors? If you were and still got caught then you don't know how to use them to your advantage, which is my point throughout this entire thread.

No, radar detectors are dumb.

I get out of my tickets the old fashion way, requesting massive amounts of paperwork from the court until somebody drops the ball, and my ticket gets dropped with it.

But generally, I just try to keep it within 10mph of the speed limit.

You wanna drive fast, take it to a track.

Quick Reply: Radar Detector; A Long Term Investment?