Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

R.I.P Cash for Clunkers....

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 08:23 PM
3rd Gear
Default R.I.P Cash for Clunkers....

oh well.....looks like Obama will have to go to congress to ask for more money now.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32228179/ns/business-autos/

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/07/30/r...-dead-tonight/

Last edited by ObnoxiousDrunk; 07-30-2009 at 08:27 PM.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:39 PM
4th Gear

Heh.. And I was seriously looking to do it. I have a couple that qualify and Chrysler is doubling the rebate

Old 07-31-2009, 10:56 AM

I heard one of the dealers say, "if this is how the government runs this program, I dont want them involved in healthcare"

Old 07-31-2009, 04:49 PM
4th Gear

Actually, the house has passed an aditional 2 billion and the Senate will most likely rubber stamp it next week.

Talk about your stimulus - that and a greener solution as well...

Old 08-02-2009, 04:25 PM

The govnt needs to protect its investment. I dont blame them for trying to help out the car companies. But the execution does not seem to inspire confidence in the dealers.

I hope they recycle as mush of the clunkers as they can. It seems like a waste to just trash the cars. I dont think they will sell them to junkyards.

Old 08-03-2009, 07:53 AM
3rd Gear

the program has fail written all over it. it does not help everyone in the country. it puts the burden on all of the tax payers and only benefits people who are in the market for a new economical car right now. so our tax dollars just helped your neighbor save a few thousand $ on her new car. she wins, everyone else loses, the environment remains unaffected.

Old 08-03-2009, 03:30 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by AutoUnionFan
The govnt needs to protect its investment. I dont blame them for trying to help out the car companies. But the execution does not seem to inspire confidence in the dealers.

I hope they recycle as mush of the clunkers as they can. It seems like a waste to just trash the cars. I dont think they will sell them to junkyards.
Every car that has been turned in under the CARS program has a bottle of high grade acid poured into the engine which siezes the inner workings rendering it dead.

Every vehicle has to be scrapped as salvage and crushed within 60 days of a specially licensed dismantler taking possession of the vehicle. Parts can be sold from the vehicle but the body frame and engine can never make it back to the road. If it does, the dismantler takes heavy penalities.

This I know for we own a two wrecking yards - both are licensed in the CARS system

Old 08-03-2009, 05:55 PM

atleast they are trying to recycle a portion of each car. acid in the engine seems like a bit of overkill

its good that the program has led to an increase in the sale of new cars. the destruction of old cars and the cost to taxpayers is questionable. the potrayal of environmental advocacy shows the influence of the left

Old 08-03-2009, 07:09 PM
4th Gear

And China's prolly getting the scrap.... Actually wouldnt be a bad idea to pay them back.

Old 08-03-2009, 09:10 PM
3rd Gear

I wonder if Barney Frank is demanding that car dealerships extend credit to financially unstable low income families like he did with the housing situation, so that they can take advantage of the clunkers program as well.
I see this program as just a temporary stimulus to the auto industry, and of course those that take the taxpayer's money to get a discount on their new vehicle purchase. The running clunkers should be donated to low income families that need them, rather than being completely destroyed. The senators who wrote this bill and voted it in have a poor sense of value, obviously.
Well, maybe there will be a few more repo jobs opening up when the economy slides further and some of those cars need to be returned to the bank that holds the title. That's ok, cause then they can just go buy a used clunker for $500-$1000.... oh wait, no they can't, they crushed those cars.

Quick Reply: R.I.P Cash for Clunkers....