Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Quit job, got new job, ordered Cayman S, S4 going...

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2006, 12:25 AM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Quit job, got new job, ordered Cayman S, S4 going...

ORIGINAL: pturbo

Good to see you back around. Congrats on job and Cayman. I bet that will be a fun ride.

What color did you go with?
Thx man. I went with black.

Old 03-19-2006, 12:35 AM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: SilverSeven

I call bull$#!+.

I just called the dealer today and canceled the order - I ordered a fancy new Lincoln LS instead[8D]

Actually they called me today and told me that it will be more likely approx 12-14 weeks, but I promise you when it arrives I will post some pics.

Old 03-19-2006, 02:12 AM
2nd Gear

I would cancel the order, but that's just me.

Old 03-19-2006, 02:26 AM
4th Gear

A black Cayman sounds pretty wicked. I haven't seen much aftermarket stuff advertised in mags yet for the Cayman, but if you keep it for a while I'm sure you could do some modding. I'm not sure that you keep cars very long though. You may get bit by the Porsche bug and have trouble letting go with this one!

Old 03-19-2006, 02:51 AM
3rd Gear

A black Cayman sounds pretty wicked. I haven't seen much aftermarket stuff advertised in mags yet for the Cayman, but if you keep it for a while I'm sure you could do some modding. I'm not sure that you keep cars very long though. You may get bit by the Porsche bug and have trouble letting go with this one!
pturbo, you are absolutely right. This is my first Porsche that I will ever have owned. Since I was little one of my dreams has always been to buy my own Porsche. I have gone through a number of cars over the past couple of years but it's only because I hadn't /or couldn't really pull the trigger on the car I really wanted, which has always been a new Porsche.

Once I get this I guarantee that I will be keeping it for good. It will be my baby, along with my STi (another car I always dreamed of owning). I am lucky that over the past couple of years I haven't really lost much on my deals, but admittedly when I trade in the S4 (and I will miss it) I am going to have to be prepared to take a bit of a hit - approx 3-5K? - because it only has 1240 miles on it. I'm prepared to eat this for the Cayman though. I will then have both cars that I have always wanted in my garage and I can rest in peace. Anyways, my wife said she is filing for divorce if I buy another car anytime within the next 3 years!!!

I want to keep the 2.0T as my DD but if I have to sacrifice that also to keep both Cayman and STi, I will willingly. I will just buy a cheap Honda etc to commute in.

And I know what you mean about the Porsche bug. All my friends that have Porsche's now have kept them for good, and they used to go through cars like me also. I think you are dead on, I don't see me letting this go for a VERY long time. It would be nice if I could just keep it in my collection forever.

Old 03-19-2006, 03:52 AM
4th Gear

Well I'm glad you got the Porsche in before the wife put you in a 3yr lockdown.

There is just something about the smell, sound, performance and look that will suck you in for life. I look forward to seeing the picts.

Is your Porsche dealer also your Audi dealer there?

Old 03-19-2006, 08:29 PM
3rd Gear

Well I'm glad you got the Porsche in before the wife put you in a 3yr lockdown.
No ****!!! To be fair to her I guess, I have admittedly gone through 7 new cars over the past 2 years. But she said after this deal I'm done for a while. Anyways I need to really start saving some money in the bank. But you're right, this is my final purchase for a long long time so that's what pushed me to finally step up and commit to the car I have always dreamed of.

There is just something about the smell, sound, performance and look that will suck you in for life. I look forward to seeing the picts.

Is your Porsche dealer also your Audi dealer there?
The performance was amazing, the cayman looks sexy as hell, and that exhaust note is best described as intoxicating! I'm already addicted

Nah, they are both on the same road but owned by different people. My Audi dealer has been great to me, and so far, the Porsche experience has been very good. I look forward to many years happy ownership The dealer for any local Chicagoans interested was Rizza Porsche on 159th in Tinley Park. Speak with Paul, the sales manager, he was great. My local Audi dealer is Laurel Audi on 159th St. Bob is the sales manager there and he will take great car of you also.

pturbo - what Porsche/s do you currently own, and how many have you had. Any info or advice???

Old 03-20-2006, 03:23 AM
18T
4th Gear

so no rs6

Old 03-20-2006, 03:20 PM
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: QuattroGT74
pturbo - what Porsche/s do you currently own, and how many have you had. Any info or advice???
I've got a '94 911 Turbo 3.6. They are a little more rare, as that was a big displacement for the time. The transmission in the car is also considered the best that Porsche ever made. I always liked the 964 body style and the factory fat-*** of the turbo. The car still has less than 30K miles on it. It was a 1 owner car in great shape. It's the only Porsche I've owned. I've driven quite a few over the years though. The value of the car has gone up since I bought it, which is a first for me, but I'm not thinking about selling anyway.

I haven't driven a Cayman yet. One of the guys in my local chapter of the PCA owns one, but it is brand new and I don't know him well enough to ask to take it for a spin. He is a huge Porsche fan and traded in his Boxster S to get the Cayman - specifically to make it a track car. He's done the Porsche Driving Experience a few times and has a 2006 911 with automatic transmission as his daily driver - which he has already tracked. Now that is a fan! He said that the auto makes the car even faster when in sport mode.

As for advice, I would tell you to join the PCA and see if you have an active branch with cool people in it. I'm looking into doing the Porsche driving experience after hearing some of the guys talk about it. I think they are already using 997s(you don't take your own car), and I haven't spent a lot of time driving one of those. The 996 is what they have all of the aftermarket stuff for now too. You can seriously mod one of those. Mine is less modable, plus that would probably start killing value quick. It would be great to have a 996 to track though since their aero characteristics are great, even if I think the styling is a little off for me. They will have stuff to mod the Cayman with by late 2007. There is no way around it.

PCA - http://www.pca.org/

PDE - http://www.porschedriving.com/

Get yourself some Porsche gear -
http://porsche.parkplacestores.com/porschecaps.html

Old 03-20-2006, 04:48 PM
3rd Gear

well quattrogt74 since u wont be needing the s4 and since im in chicago land u should just give me the s4......or i could tradeu my a4 and u could just trade it in for the cayman s.

Quick Reply: Quit job, got new job, ordered Cayman S, S4 going...