Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Questions to ask future roommates

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 03:04 AM
Default Questions to ask future roommates

Im now sorting through people trying to decide on which person I want to live with. Im leaning towards a female since I would be less likely to but heads with a female and also it will always look good have her friends over. I have asked them all the normal questions like cleanliness, job, age, if they can afford rent, job, school, how much they party, etc... but what else should I be asking? I have also said that I dont want a significant other living with them. They can spend the night when they wish but i dont want them living there. Im also asking for their interests in sports and other things. Anything I might be looking over? This is the first roommate I get to choose and not knowing them prior to it. My dorm roommate was an alcoholic, drug dealer, who slept with *****, and was just overall a jackass. So I dont want to screw this up.

The apt lease is in my name but they will be added to my lease. Also they will have to sign a notarized agreement to rental terms just to cover my ***. Also I am not allowing parties in the apt either. I dont want **** getting broken and everybody i have talked to so far agrees.

Old 07-17-2007, 03:13 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Questions to ask future roommates

what kind of car they drive!

Old 07-17-2007, 03:26 AM

I don't remember having you as a dorm mate....haha

good luck....sounds like you have da situation more than under control....

start posting pictures of appllicants (no men)...it will help us guide you into a new living partner (or is that them into your apartment?)....

Old 07-17-2007, 07:59 AM

I think you're on the right track, but be sure to ask for references too and be sure to call them. Especially if she's lived somewhere else before as a roommate.

Old 07-17-2007, 09:51 AM
1st Gear

References are good, but I would check on their ability to pay the rent. That's really priority number one, isn't it? Ask for their employer contact information and do a verification of employment. I have a great "rental application" and a "verification of employment form" if you need them. We usually only run credit and background checks on tenants for our clients that own investment properties, but would do it for the forum.

Let me know.

Old 07-17-2007, 10:02 AM
3rd Gear

Ask if the chick likes to bump uglies?
That might help you decide.

Living with my sister now in a house, i only have one complaint, she leaves her shoes everywhere!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-17-2007, 10:43 AM
Lvl-65 Sorceress: 9,571-HP/7,796-EP

just remember it's a temporary roommate, not a life partner! i'd figure out what your absolute highest priorities are (like 2 or 3), and then make sure he/she meets those 100%. make sure they know what the consequences will be if they fall short on these promises....so if they DO screw up, they know exactly WHY they're being kicked out.
you'll have to be comfortable with the fact that thereWILL be things that bug you.

good luck.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:06 AM
4th Gear

I like the idea of employment verification, if its not illegal ask to see the most recent paystub. I know in the loan and housing industry its needed. The spending the night stuff would be a no go for me except for weekends because this person can spend the night every night, eat over every night & hang out all day/night without paying rent or having to bring there stuff over.

If she looks good then there should be no dress code.

Oh there should be an agreement that if rent is X amount of days late (like 3) then they are out.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:12 AM
Lvl-65 Sorceress: 9,571-HP/7,796-EP

what about smoking???
[:'(][:@] i'd have to say NO on that one.
my top 3 priorities:
1. financially capable
2. non smoker
3. party and lover policy.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:42 AM
1st Gear

I don't think you can ask for a pay stub or income but you can defintely ask for their employer contact information to verify employment.

Quick Reply: Questions to ask future roommates