Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Question about the four rings

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 02:39 AM
1st Gear
Default Question about the four rings

IDK if this is quite off topic or not, but I have always wondered, what do the four rings represent? AWD? And do they have a specific name? Such as for BMW's logo, the white is the propeller of a plane on a blue Bavarian sky which represents BMW's heritage in making aircraft engines. Its called the Roundel. So what is significant about the four rings?

Old 09-13-2007, 06:27 AM
Senior Administrator
Default RE: Question about the four rings

I assume they do not have Google, where you live...

Old 09-13-2007, 08:22 AM
3rd Gear

History of the Rings-Part 1

History of the Rings-Part 2

And for those that don't want to read the whole story:
AUDI AG can look back on a multi-faceted history that has seen considerable change; its tradition in the manufacturing of cars and motorcycles stretches back to before the turn of the century. The marques which were originally all based in Saxony – Audi and Horch in Zwickau, Wanderer in Chemnitz-Siegmar and DKW in Zschopau – made a significant contribution to the progress of the automotive industry in Germany. These four marques merged in 1932 to form Auto Union AG. In terms of the sheer number of vehicles built, this was the second-largest motor vehicle company of its day. Four interlinked rings were adopted as its marque emblem. After the Second World War, Auto Union AG's production plant in Saxony was expropriated and dismantled by the occupying Soviet forces.

A number of the company's senior managers departed for Bavaria, where a new company under the name of Auto Union GmbH was founded in 1949 in Ingolstadt, upholding the motor vehicle tradition under the sign of the four rings.

Auto Union GmbH and NSU merged in 1969 to form Audi NSU Auto Union AG; this the company was renamed AUDI AG in 1985 and its headquarters transferred to Ingolstadt. The four rings remains the company's emblem to this day.

Old 09-13-2007, 08:25 AM
CLX
Zombie Defense Force

It means they are four times better than companies that have only one ring, SAAB, BMW, Mercedes Benz.

Old 09-13-2007, 10:03 AM
Banned

ORIGINAL: Kmoney9999

IDK if this is quite off topic or not, but I have always wondered, what do the four rings represent? AWD? And do they have a specific name? Such as for BMW's logo, the white is the propeller of a plane on a blue Bavarian sky which represents BMW's heritage in making aircraft engines. Its called the Roundel. So what is significant about the four rings?
the bavarian flag is white/blue checkerboard pattern. that is why BMW (Bavarian Motor Works) has the blue and white pattern.

Old 09-13-2007, 10:05 AM
6th Gear

yeah but the Roundel also is meant to signify the aircraft history that BMW had in the early days and during WWI & WWII.

Old 09-13-2007, 10:07 AM
Banned

ORIGINAL: CAB509

yeah but the Roundel also is meant to signify the aircraft history that BMW had in the early days and during WWI & WWII.

i can't believe it. after all these years i thought it was from the flag.

Old 09-13-2007, 10:19 AM
6th Gear

I think you are the misinformed one

source 1
source2
source3
source4
source5

I think you get the point.

You also should know that before I got my Audi I was looking for a BMW and also the roudnel is in my hear still today(but only for the old ons)

Well you learn something new everyday, especially when your talking to somebody who loves older BMW's

Old 09-13-2007, 10:25 AM
Lvl-65 Sorceress: 9,571-HP/7,796-EP

originally, audi wanted these rings, which represented the color choices of the cars, but decided to take out the "booger green" color as many of the audi executives thought it might have a negative impact on sales.....thus the four rings. (sorry myaudi98)

also note how nogaro becomes the FIRST in color choices.

Old 09-13-2007, 11:04 AM

Correct on BMW's heritage regarding aircraft engines!

Quick Reply: Question about the four rings