Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Progress on the Type-R...

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 03:54 AM
2nd Gear
Default Progress on the Type-R...

Well, the project was coming along fine, the other shell was in the paint shop getting sprayed, I had some money aside for a new Suspension... Then going for a normal drive (Well, normal for me) down to the beach, and I was feeling extra comfortable with beating on the car for some reason. Came out of a turn, and floored it, turned it 10,000RPM... And that's when I heard it, *BANG CLANG CLANG CLANG CLANG* Oil Pressure went through the roof, and I knew what had happened... I had thrown a Rod Bearing.

I limped her home, and shut her down... This is when the project turns to the fun part. 20 minutes later, it's on the back of the flat bed heading over to MADSPEED (Local Honda/Acura Performance Shop... A friend of mine owns/operates it, so he always hears from me when fun stuff like this happens, haha). The motor is pulled, and the bottom end comes off... Everything's fine aside from ONE bearing that looked like it had never been changed with the others... No idea why not. Anyway, we changed blocks and I got a GSR bottom end with CTR Pistons (Civic Type-R, bumps Compression Ratio up to 13:1... Not a bad increase in power mind you), there goes my Suspension money, and now I've got some work to do. So we figured we may as well start tearing down the car for the shell change. So it's been an interesting past 3 days, I've gotten an average of 2 hours of sleep a day, and this is just the beginning of the project... God help me. [:@]

So we spent New Years Eve working on our cars until 5 in the Morning... Then I had a few drinks to knock off some of the stress. Fell asleep watching Dazed and Confused at a friends house while I had to listen to him and his girl get "busy" for an hour or so in the other room. Finally dragged my *** out of bed at 9:00, went back to my house grabbed a change of clothes, and headed over to help germancarmaniac change his Timing Belt... Stayed there until 1:30pm or so, and headed back to MADSPEED and worked until 12:00pm over there... Went back over to my friends house and stayed there until 3:00am helping him with his project... Went home, got some sleep, woke back up at 8:00am, headed BACK over to MADSPEED and had to get the wheel bearing changed on the hub I gave him... Came home at 11:00am, and slept until 9:00pm.

Now the engine's sitting at my warehouse, where it's getting rebuilt, and ready for some more power.

Anyway, here are some pictures.

Right here you *******...

The Camshafts and Braces...

Type-Rice...

Changing the blocks...

Sitting in her lonely corner as MADSPEED...

AHHHHH DOOOOOOOD Damn Honduhs!!1!1!!!

Goodbye Old Hatchy...

I'm in for a long project...

... A very... VERY long project.

Pray for me. [:@]

I'm going back to sleep.

Old 01-03-2006, 03:57 AM
4th Gear
Default RE: Progress on the Type-R...

yep. smell like a honda.

Old 01-03-2006, 04:01 AM
2nd Gear

Hype-R.

Old 01-03-2006, 04:06 AM
4th Gear

[sm=funnypostabove.gif]

Old 01-03-2006, 10:37 AM
3rd Gear

very nice!! what are the specs going to be?

Old 01-03-2006, 11:17 AM
2nd Gear

that sucks.

Old 01-03-2006, 05:00 PM
2nd Gear

Engine Specifications are still up in the air... As of now, here is what's done, and what I'm planning:

- Type-R Head: Toda Valvetrain, Toda B Camshafts, Toda Adjustable Cam Gears, RLZ Port and Polish (Aggressive Top End, while maintaining some drivability, will enable the engine to turn 13,000RPM safely)
- GSR Block: CTR Pistons, Shot Peened and Cryogenically Treated GSR Rods, Knife Edged and Micro Polished GSR Crankshaft, Balanced and Blueprinted to 14,500RPM (13:1 Compression Ratio, will turn to 13,000RPM worry free)
- TWM 50mm Individual Throttle Bodies, TWM Carbon Fiber Air Box, Password:JDM Fat Tube Power Chamber, Golden Eagle Vaccum Log (Ultimate flowing Intake Set-Up)
- RC Engineering 310cc Injectors, Aeromotive Fuel Pump, Golden Eagle FPR, Aeromotive Fuel Filter, -6an SS Fuel Lines (Just a basic Fuel System upgrade)
- ZEX VX-1000 Nitrous System, Set-Up for a 50 Shot (Switched to 5,800RPM to activate with VTEC)
- RMF Header (Best flowing Header... Price is indicitive of that)
- Mid-Range HASport Mounts (Stiffen up the engine a bit, the stock mounts are starting to wear out)
- Fidanza 6.7lb Flywheel, Exedy StageI Clutch, Raxle 1,000whp Titanium Axels (Good lightweight Set-Up, Axels will NEVER break)

After that, she'll be putting down about 250whp+... Doesn't sound like much, until you put it into a car that weighs up 2,000lbs, and take revs into 13,000RPM.

After I get bored of that Set-Up (In a few years), I'll sell the powertrain, and start building up my 800whp+ powertrain:

- Golden Eagle Bottom End B18C1 ($5,000+ and well worth it... Bottom End is guaranteed to never foul, balanced as high as needed, generates specific power bands. Fully customizable)
- Supertech B16A Head, ARP Head Studs, Cometic 4-Layer Head Gasket ($4,500+ and WELL worth it... Goal specific build, can go as deep as 15,000RPM, and will never foul out as well)
- GSR-S80 Transmission built by Hayworth out of Ft. Lauderdale, Carbon Coated Syncros, Type-R 4.7 FD with LSD, Cryogenically Treated Internals, Fidanza 6.7lb Flywheel, Exedy StageIV Race Spec Clutch, Raxle 1,000whp+ Titanium Axels (Can take any amount of power)
- Full-Race Intake Manifold with Secondary Injector Bungs
- Aeromotive Fuel Pump, Aeromotive FPR, Aeromotive Fuel Filter, -6an SS Fuel Lines (Two of all of these will be neccesary for this particular Set-Up), RC Engineering 720cc Injectors (In Primary Bungs, for boost under 25psi), Precision 1,000cc Injectors (for 25-40psi boost settings), Twin Fuel Cells one 5 Gallon with 93Octane for 25psi-, one 1 Gallon with 110Octane for 25psi+
- Full-Race Pro-Am 800whp+ T4/T67 Turbocharger Kit Top Mount Exhaust Manifold with a 4" Downpipe ($4,295, the best on the market)
- Tune by P1 Automotive (Jack and Kendal are the best, the A/F Ratios will be nailed perfect for every single boost level)

And that will put me anywhere from 350whp all the way up to 800whp+ dependent on boost levels, and fuel delivery. Honestly, the car will only see 800whp+ maybe once or twice in it's life... That type of power isn't very easy to handle, I'll probably keep her at a modest 500whp-600whp+ for driving on the streets.

So... That's my plan for the next 5-6 years of my life with my Honda. And it's just starting, so it will be an interesting journey.

Old 01-03-2006, 05:04 PM
Senior Administrator

Add wings and go for your IFR rating...

Old 01-03-2006, 05:10 PM
2nd Gear
Old 01-03-2006, 05:11 PM
2nd Gear

IFR?

Quick Reply: Progress on the Type-R...