Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Process Server! NICE DRIVE!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 05:42 PM
Site Moderator

So wait... HOW do I get this job?

Old 11-09-2008, 05:52 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by onepoint8tee
So wait... HOW do I get this job?

I wanna know this too. It sounds like a good job for a college kid

Old 11-09-2008, 08:02 PM
4th Gear

Well as you can see my drive today did not even go close to as planned. I didn't even get the first paper served. I was out in the middle of nowhere when all the sudden my car started sounding REALLY bad... like a playing card in a fan bad. So we stopped and shut it down and started thinking... pretty sure the timing belt broke... or jumped... WHICH should not have happened since I just had it replaced about 6K miles ago by a shop here in Spokane. We decided to try and take it apart there to see what was going on but we got part way in and didn't have the right size socket to turn the crank by hand so we decided to just put it back together. SO now I get the fun job of tearing the car apart again to figure out what happened. The worst part about this is that when it broke we had NO cell service... so we ended up hiking around for a while trying to find a house and we couldn't find one... so we ended up hiking up a half mile hill/mountain to get service and called AAA to get a tow.

I have over an hour of video from this whole adventure that I will post later once I edit it.

Josh

Last edited by Audi_Skydiver; 11-09-2008 at 08:05 PM.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:57 PM
4th Gear

SOUND CLIP!!!
Here is a sound clip. Obviously it's short because we shut it down after trying to see if we could figure out where it's coming from. We couldn't

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y19pxQ3P2A8

josh

Old 11-09-2008, 11:32 PM
4th Gear

So it looks like I bent a rod... or thats what others are saying. I can't believe this happened... I don't know how either... i was going 10 mph on a dirt road when it did. Ughhhh

Josh

Old 11-12-2008, 12:46 AM
4th Gear

OK, Took the car apart and it was the tensioner that broke... but not the part I was expecting. The damper seems to be fine (from what I can see anyways) but what actually broke was the bolt that holds the pulley to the block! It just snapped clean in half. As you can see in the pictures half the bolt is still in the block and the pulley is pretty beat up. However the belt looks fine (still going to replace it) and the timing seems to be fine as well. I put the motor in TDC and both cam-shafts lined up where they were supposed to. This is a good thing. I was not looking forward to pulling the motor. LOL

Here are pictures:

Josh

Old 11-12-2008, 02:13 AM
5th Gear

wut the hell is it with you and your s4 man. you're always taking the thing apart. did you get the rest of the bolt out yet? looks like a bitch job you got there. how in the world would a bolt like that break anyways? WTF lol. did you get the kit and have the shop do the job or was it all them? if it was all them i'd take it back to them and bitch like a ****. i hope everything goes fine and keep up posted

Old 11-12-2008, 02:32 AM
4th Gear

Yeah a shop did it. I am talking to them right now... what sucks is the guy who owns the shop is a good friend of mine. So we will see how things work out there.

As for my S4 idk why I am always taking it apart... BUT i do know how to do it well now... I got it to that point in under an hour! HAHA

And I don't have the tools to get the rest of that bolt out. A friend is going to help me out with it once I get the replacement parts.

Josh

Old 11-12-2008, 07:32 AM
5th Gear

this is what you'll need.

Old 11-12-2008, 09:41 AM
Tech Guru

The bolt broke because it couldn't hand the stress of raw Audi power.

Quick Reply: Process Server! NICE DRIVE!