Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Presidential Address to Congress

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 10:09 PM
4th Gear
Default Presidential Address to Congress

Anyone else watching this? Discuss....

Josh

Old 02-24-2009, 11:30 PM
1st Gear

is there anywhere online i could re-watch it i missed it i was at class...

Old 02-24-2009, 11:32 PM
1st Gear

is there any place u think i could re-watch it online i missed it i was at class...

Old 02-25-2009, 02:21 AM

I didnt watch it...whatever he says is total crap. He just said like yesterday that the goverment has to stop spending so our kids would not have to pay for us too get out of debt. He has only had the largest spending bill in history and it was a total waste. All the promised that got him elected will never to come true. I have more important things to do then see him waste air.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:17 AM
4th Gear

lol...

What are you now the AF's version of Nostredamus???

He has only had the largest spending bill in history and it was a total waste. All the promised that got him elected will never to come true. I have more important things to do then see him waste air.
They haven't even passed out any stimulus yet you're declaring a total waste? Damn!! with those type of powers why don't you go guess out the next Power Ball numbers and float us all a loan??? lol

more important things?? like rant on AF about your muslim-phobias, post non-sensical YouTube links and pour out your misguided misgivings that a individual of color is in the White House? lol

But enough of that, I thought (as did every news commentator out there did - including Fox Noise) that he did a good job in his delivery of last nights speech.

The question is can he deliver?

Last edited by Palindari™; 02-25-2009 at 11:46 AM.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:42 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Palindari™

The question is can he deliver?
That my friend is the biggest question of all.... one that not very many pres (including Bush) can say they have done....

Josh

Old 02-25-2009, 12:03 PM

Obama did his job.

He is great at delivering prepared speeches and this one was no exception. I think he did his best to balance optimism about the future and the uncertainty of current affairs. And he did a good job of finding common ground to bring this country together.

He laid out his three most important issues: healthcare, renewable energy, and education. However, his approach seems to involve a lot of government spending and growth. I am very skeptical about his claims to reduce the deficit, considering the ambition of his plans and the level of government involvement.

I watched some analysis last night that was interesting. Obama said that the stimulus bill contained zero earmarks. Technically this may be the case, but the Republicans semmed to think otherwise as you could here them almost laughing at this statement. He also said that next years budget will involve zero earmarks. But he failed to talk about this years budget. The democrats have just proposed a $400 billion dollar budget loaded with 8,000 earmarks. The Obama administration has signaled that they will not obstruct the passage of the bill.

For a short article about the factual misteps of the speech, check out this link:
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20090225/D96IFSC80.html

Did anyone catch it when Obama said that the US invented the automobile? He immediately lost some credibilty with me when I heard it. He was bending the truth for the sake of drama.

Old 02-25-2009, 12:15 PM
4th Gear

lol... I'm with you on the earmark stuff...

but if the President lost cred in your eyes over that remark - then I can suppose GW Bush crash dived after his numerous "Bushisms"? lol

We did invent the auto assembly line though - and then those damn Japanese perfected it - who knew to use robots?!?!?

Old 02-25-2009, 12:19 PM

I will give him that, he is a phenomenal orator, a rhetorical mastermind. that is what my degree is in, comm/rhetoric, and a few of my professors, regardless of their stance on him as a politician, praise how well he can deliver a speech. Regardless of policy(ies) & standpoints, you can agree or disagree, but that is part of the equation of what largely got him elected, the man can talk, and he can talk very well. One of the criteria the American people look for in a Presidential candidate is, a ordinary person giving an extraordinary performance, and he delivered.

but lets just see if he can walk his talk. i have no other opinions i wish to disclose thus far, its still too early, just want to see if he can do what he says.

Last edited by mctavish11; 02-25-2009 at 12:21 PM.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:28 PM

I thought it was interesting that he said no earmarks for next years budget when this years budget contains 8,000 earmarks. His statement was misleading.

He sacrificed the truth for the sake of drama a few times, check out the link I provided. But the one about the automobile (Karl Benz is generally credited with the invention) I immediately recognized. His statement about oil imports was flat out wrong. Lets not bring Bush back into the picture.

He are some utube links to the speech:
http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...+congress&aq=f
Pelosi seemed to want to applaud every syllable.

Quick Reply: Presidential Address to Congress