Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Potato gun??

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 09:32 PM
Site Moderator
Default Potato gun??

Anyone ever make one? I made one the other night just for fun. Im looking for a good ignitor. Something other than a typical grill red button ignitor.. Im looking for the swtich kind that is more like the ignitor/flint you use on a lighter. If you know what im talking about and where to find one like that let me know!!!!!

Old 08-07-2006, 09:55 PM
Default RE: Potato gun??

Being that I've made about 3... possibly 4.. i just cant remember cause my friends told me I made a really funny one when i was plastered lol... but thre are two basic kinds of ways to ignite them and ive tried both... the first is to just drill a hole in the back and shove a basic bbq lighter in the back and seal it up nice and good with some strong glue and about a foot of duct tape. The other way is to drill two small holes some way up from the back across from each other and get two screw about 1/4 of an inch away from each other (when inside the tube). From here you need to go to home depot or some-place of the type and get a bbq spark lighter. Just connect the wires from the sparker to the screw ends and cover all the wires and open leads with some electrical tape or anything you want to cover it up with and your good to go. Rock on with the funness of shootng potaoes and random soon to be broken objects...

Old 08-07-2006, 10:00 PM
Site Moderator

Whats the difference between a bbq spark lighter and a regular red button girll ignitor type? Im looking for the kind that you just flick with 2 fingers.

Old 08-08-2006, 03:01 AM

Well the bbq spark lighter is like a round base and round **** you twist to get the spark at the end of the 2 loose cables as long as they are close enough to alow the arc of the spark. The one I use and the one i think you want to use is the lighter with the base and the chimney pipe of about 4 inches with the thumb safety and the index "trigger" ignitor... just drill the hole on the back-base and push it in (you want it to be snug) and just get some glue around it and some duct tape and a couple hours later youll be good to go.

Old 08-08-2006, 03:06 AM
2nd Gear

I have actually tried that yellow lighter idea that you have in the picture Fez, but I could never get it to work right. I don't think I had a proper seal.

However, I have done the screw trick, and it works every time, and is a lot SAFER then just shoving the whole red button ignitor into the PVC, and then trying to "Seal it up" good.

The path of least resistance is going to come into play, and if that Potatoe is really crammed in there, it's going to blow the ignitor out thru your hand... [:@]

Old 08-08-2006, 04:05 AM
2nd Gear

I have to say that the method my friends and I used is better than both of those [8D]. I don't know exactly what the thing is called but it is a 5 inch metal rod and at an attachment at the top there is a piece of flint and on top of the rod there is a rough steal ball. When you turn the bottom part of the rod the flint hits the steal and it creates a spark. All you do is drill a hole in the bottom of the potato gun and stick that thing up there then add a little glue. All the sticks out the bottom is a little part of the rod so in order to fire the potato all you have to do is turn the rod. We bought it in the camping section at Walmart so look there. I will try to take some pictures of it tommorow.

Old 08-08-2006, 04:06 AM
Site Moderator

This is it:

commonly used in lanterns i guess.

But i have a feeling my gun is going to be more of a BIG apple gun. The barrell is really long and wide and the combustion chamber is equally proportioned... This thing is going to be really loud if it works... I went with 3 inch wide barrell and 4 inch combustion chamber. Combusiton chamber is 1 ft long and barrell is about 4 ft. long.

Old 08-08-2006, 05:32 AM
2nd Gear

i used good ole fashoned compressed air... pvc valve, 2in. barrel, 3in pressure chaimber,and boom, a loud ***, safe, 200 yd, potato launching cannon!

Old 08-09-2006, 05:24 PM
4th Gear

That's the same size mine is, but i just used the bbq lighter and de-natured alcohol.

Old 08-09-2006, 05:41 PM
3rd Gear

we have made then in the past more like this..
http://members.tripod.com/yu.andrew/...ncon/index.htm

Quick Reply: Potato gun??