Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Possible 2nd Car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 02:49 AM
2nd Gear
Default Possible 2nd Car?

So ive been saving, and im thinking of purchasing a supra...

i know theres a few guys on here with supras and i was wondering if there was anything i should look out for when buying one... i.e. commonly abused parts and parts needed for replacemtn?

should i look into a single turbo or twin? i know some of the big guys convert the twin to one big single but im not planning on doing anything extreme here... any input would be great

Old 09-28-2006, 03:23 AM
Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Old 09-28-2006, 05:13 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Possible 2nd Car?

ORIGINAL: StepUpProductions

So ive been saving, and im thinking of purchasing a supra...
Keep saving. Supras are probably the most expensive older Japanese car you can buy. NSXs are cheaper, RX-7s are cheaper, 300ZXs and 3000GTs are loads cheaper. Hell, even the Viper of the era is cheaper now.

i know theres a few guys on here with supras and i was wondering if there was anything i should look out for when buying one... i.e. commonly abused parts and parts needed for replacemtn?
Nothing comes to mind. The engine is 100% bulletproof, the tranny is a 6-speed Getrag, quite possibly one of the strongest modern transmissions, and everything else is still very very good quality. There isn't any one thing that stands out on Supras as being a common problem part or component. Supras are heavy for a sports GT, so tire and brake wear will be more than you might expect. But don't worry about accidentally saving money by not having to do tons of regular maintenance, the initail cost of the car and later mods will more than make up for that.

should i look into a single turbo or twin? i know some of the big guys convert the twin to one big single but im not planning on doing anything extreme here... any input would be great
Are you asking if you should look for a MKIV (93-98) Supra that has stock twins versus one that has already been converted to a single, or are you asking if you should consider the older MKIII (87-92ish) single turbo Supra? That's a night and day difference, like comparing a TT to a Gallardo. Performance, cost, everything is much much higher on the MKIV.

Old 09-28-2006, 05:46 AM

MKIV is what u want. I would go for twin turbo if u dont want anything to extreme. U could put 2 smaller turbos on high boost and get some very nice power.

Old 09-28-2006, 09:58 PM
2nd Gear

yea would definatly want the MKIV... so did i hear you right that all the MKIV's were twin turbo? were there any produced that were non turbo and just a N/A 6? im desperatly trying to find a good deal on one... its been one of my sort of dream cars for a while now

Old 09-28-2006, 10:51 PM

yes there are some N/As out there. Not to mention the IS 300 had the same I-6 as the supra.