Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Poorly manufactured VWs????

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2005, 12:01 AM
1st Gear
Default Poorly manufactured VWs????

Reading on AutoBlog.com I came across a link to this article a mechanic has written about VWs. I found it pretty interesting to learn about VWs!! I have a friend who once was a big fanatic of VWs and within a few months he went totally opposite; from collecting the toy cars, t-shirts, attending asssociations, owning a Cabriolet, a WestFalia van, and a Rabbit he went to owning no VW related product! No sign of VW can be found within anything he owns now!!!

This brings me to my question, I find my Audi very much fun to drive (just like any other European car enthusiastic) something many Japanese cars can't live up to. And off course stylish sporty and luxury. But it makes me wonder how much of an Audi is really Audi? Afterall many of the parts come in the same package and may even have the same part number. Engines are tweaked a bit differently but are not independant. How about the software? The mechanic (in that website) talks about how easily factory settings of critical things can be "accidentally" tweaked and how some people have suffered through these kinda things.

What is your opinion on this?

Old 08-19-2005, 12:11 AM
5th Gear
Default RE: Poorly manufactured VWs????

audis have been assembled in germany since the beginning, and in the same plant for decades...VW has outsourced the assembly process to plants in mexico, and have been getting a little sh!ttier every year since IMO

Old 08-19-2005, 12:23 AM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: kianoosh

This brings me to my question, I find my Audi very much fun to drive (just like any other European car enthusiastic) something many Japanese cars can't live up to.
Dude, you haven't been driving the right cars!

Old 08-19-2005, 12:49 AM
1st Gear

Well my last car was an Eclipse. And it was a great fun. I also loved the interior design besides the ride. One thing many Japanese cars miss out a lot on is style and interior design. But gen 1 Eclipses were nicely done.

bentframe, you said that VWs are assembled in Mexico. But software design is still done in Germany perhaps from within the same cubical/labs where Audi's software is designed. So assembly can't effect the way the software behaves (unless there is some hardware problem).

Old 08-19-2005, 12:54 AM
3rd Gear

For ***** sake, the eclipse is a fwd car! It will never be the greatest drive out there. If you want a good drive go try a 200sx, MR2 Turbo, 300ZX, Supra, Scooby, Evo, MX5 turbo, GTO, etc. If you don;'t come off grinning like a lunatic then you haven't been trying hard enough! Hell.. I drove an AE86 for a few months, when I was between proper cars, and it was an absolute hoot. It was so light, and rwd. What more do you need?

Old 08-19-2005, 01:07 AM
5th Gear

ORIGINAL: kianoosh

bentframe, you said that VWs are assembled in Mexico. But software design is still done in Germany perhaps from within the same cubical/labs where Audi's software is designed. So assembly can't effect the way the software behaves (unless there is some hardware problem).
there's nothing wrong with VW's software, it's the build-quality that's becoming an issue.

Old 08-19-2005, 01:08 AM
1st Gear

Eclipses do come in AWD package (same chassis as the Gallant VR4). I don't know what the guys at Misu are smoking (and hope folks at BMW and Audi don't get around that stuff as well!), but Mitsu should have made the AWD available for 3rd and 4th gen. The cars that you name are great cars. But like I said "not many Japanese cars live up to". How about BMWs? Or the Lancia Delta HF Integralle, Alfas? The Delta won 6 WRC champions and is still a very popular choice in Europe, even though the company right now is litterally bankrupt!

Have you ever driven a Lancia? Try the ones from 70's and you realize that where some comapnies were back in those days! The suspension on the Lancias (Beta, Fulvia, Delta) is still quite responsive and up to date.

Old 08-19-2005, 01:11 AM
1st Gear

Then take a look at what that mechanic had to say!

Old 08-19-2005, 01:55 AM
3rd Gear

Is all you are after awd? It is not the be all and end all you know! RWD is just as grippy, unless it is raining or snowing. My MR2 was just as fast around corners, and faster in a straight than my mates bugeye scooby. VERY entertaining to drive.
Yes I know about the Lancias, but try to buy one nowadays, and its either shagged to peices, or expensive. If you want a turbo nutter job, what about a 6R4, or if you want something completely different go for a Caterham. I still say Japan can make cars that are just as entertaining, and as involving as any European car, (and I'm european, so not even any bias there). I've driven both the M3, (the previous incarnation, not the new model), and the skyline at bruntingthorpe (sp?) airfield, and the skyline was far superior, in grip, and grunt. The M3 was a little more refined though! I raced my MR2 Turbo against a ferrari 355 at the same event, and it only statrted getting away after about 70 mph... Trust me dude, I've driven some great cars, and some supposedly great cars. Bang for buck, Japan does them better. maybe you should give them a shot?

Old 08-19-2005, 02:31 AM
1st Gear

It's kinda funny that what I wanted to discuss here (VW's software problem) is totally out the door and rather we're debating over other aspects of cars!

Anyways, I agree with you in Japanese companies being able to live up to their European counter parts. But they seem more conservative than their European brands. That may also be considered smarter marketing decisions (as Lancia never perhaps had any!!!). I've not any RWD. This has a lot to do with where I live (Canada). I think Japanese cars always try to have a more conservative decision rather than radical. Look at Toyota, in past few years, they've been very unexciting. Nissan has been trying to keep its lines in good performance standing. I still like the Lancias better than many cars out there. They were fairly classy and sporty. Back in 70's they managed to outperform even BMWs. Same goes to Alfas.

One thing that's obvious is the European car design/style. Majority of European designs stay classy for years to come. But Japanese designs don't last that long. After all you're not pushing your car to the limits every day.

Quick Reply: Poorly manufactured VWs????