Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Photography tips?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 03:16 AM
Default Photography tips?

Anyone have any photography tips for my next car shoot? Or any websites with techniques, I have the equipment...now I just need to learn how to use it. I'll be using a Nikon D200, D1x, and a Canon Powershot SD700 IS.

Old 03-11-2007, 05:45 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Photography tips?

It's all about the lighting...

Make sure that there aren't any objects in the reflections of the natural light. No people, trees, other cars, hookers, or camera equipment.

If need be, get some big white sheets and set them up so it reflects the sunlight on the car more. This can be a HUGE help.

Don't use any artifical light if possible... Unless you have lights that are the same color temperature as the sun, for that particular time of day.

Other than that, just put your car in an artistic pose, and snap away. Have fun with it!!! That's the point, isn't it?

Old 03-11-2007, 01:36 PM
Senior Administrator

ORIGINAL: Thumper

Make sure that there aren't any objects in the reflections of the natural light. No people, trees, other cars, hookers, or camera equipment.
[sm=drooldude.gif]ummm... leave teh hookers in, OK?[sm=drooldude.gif]

Old 03-11-2007, 04:50 PM

The more the merrier.

Old 03-11-2007, 06:25 PM
1st Gear

I recomend, using a tripod or just bracing against something to keep the camera still. This way you can use a higher f stop and slower shutter speed. This will get you the highest quality pictures. As for how you set up the shot just fool around and do whatever looks cool.

Old 03-11-2007, 06:40 PM
1st Gear

Oh, I don't know...

I kinda dig pictures with a shallow depth of field...

But absolutely use a tripod. This is a must.... Especially if you're doing night shots, where you want light streaks. Nice and smooth streaks without any bumpty bump bump (unless it's really late at night, and you need to stay awake).

Old 03-11-2007, 09:21 PM
6th Gear

just experiment and find out what you like, then post them so we all can see,

but the lighting is key, try using artificial light or shooting durning Sunrise/sunset. I'm new to photogaraphy too so rock on.

Old 03-12-2007, 12:10 AM
4th Gear

for the clearest pictures you will want an iso of 800+
and an f stop of 10+

since these have alot to do with the lighting atmosphere, yes, a tripod or a steady hand when you have these settings that high, or the pictures will come out grainy and blurry looking

i uesually just get by using something to rest the camera on, since the cannon xti i usually use is heavy enough to make my hand shake if trying to get the same shot a few times

Old 03-12-2007, 04:28 PM
2nd Gear

i try to line up shots to look like i want them so i dont have to do much editing or post processing. to do that i take a bazillion photos and end up with several nice ones out of the bunch. that usually works. if you want to see some nice angles, try to look for car wallpaper photos in general. the car or the site doesnt matter. youre looking at the structure of the photo, so its all good.

Old 03-12-2007, 07:35 PM
2nd Gear

And don't take any shots from the side (at 90-degrees). Looks like you did it on the Tire Rack website. 3/4 views are good. If you are taking front or rear views, get down low - looks more menacing. I don't know if it applies to cars, but use the Rule of Thirds. The short explanation is that you don't want your car (or whatever you are shooting)smack dab in the middle of your shot. Keep it to one side or the other a little bit, or with alot of pavement or sky below/above it. Makes for a more visually interesting pic. And if you are shooting outside, be aware of the background. Use trees or your garage doorto help frame a shot and try to avoid road signs, garbage or things that distract from the car. And as anyone who pays attention to the movies, cars always seem to look better on wet pavement.Just be careful of glare and crazy reflections. For tips on howNOT to take a pic of a car, grab the latest copy of Auto Trader.

Quick Reply: Photography tips?