Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Phone manners...

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 11:58 PM
4th Gear
Angry Phone manners...

When has it become acceptable to call someone and then blurt out:

"Who's this?"

That's like walking up to someone's front door, ring their bell and when they come to the door you ask, "Who are you?"

My grandmother always taught me to introduce myself first before making such inquiries. It's just rude not to be forthcoming when asking someone's name.

eh, maybe it's just me.... lol

Old 09-24-2008, 12:03 AM
5th Gear

i had a guy call me up saying " yo buddha, wuddup man you remember from the party last weekend?" i was like who and what? it was rediculous. he kept babbling on like i knew him and then he got pissed and said that i was a poser. lol i have no idea what people are thinking these days. had another guy call me and i tell him he's got the wrong number and he calls me 3 more times to make sure WTF lol. you're not alone man

Old 09-24-2008, 12:06 AM

I agree, some fool called me once and then asked...who's this, so I told him this is the ***** fugga you called, who the f is this and then he hung up. what a f@g

Old 09-24-2008, 12:07 AM
4th Gear

i hate people that call you just to talk ****... seriously, dont call, your a waste...

and telemarketers?...

really?... i wonder if telemarketers hate telemarketers

Old 09-24-2008, 12:09 AM
5th Gear

actually, i had some lady call me and ask me who i am and i told her that she called me and she sounded so confused. lol

Old 09-24-2008, 12:12 AM
4th Gear

maybe alzheimers?

Old 09-24-2008, 01:12 AM
2nd Gear

if i dont know the number thats calling me i like to answer the phone either " *insert city name here* city morg, you kill 'em we grill 'em how may i help you?" or " *insert city name here* city abortion clinic, you rape 'em we scrape 'em how may i help you?"
... yeah its pretty messed up haha

Old 09-24-2008, 02:07 AM

I had a random girl accidently call me once....she asked me "who is this?"....I told her and she said that she had the wrong number, but I sounded cute....we talked for a few minutes and we figured out we lived two blocks away from eachother and that I knew her sister from HS...lol....even L.A. is a small town occasionally....

I don't get too many calls from people I don't know....I keep my phone # on the DL as much as possible

Last edited by qUaTtRoA4; 09-24-2008 at 02:08 AM. Reason: typo
Old 09-24-2008, 12:11 PM
4th Gear

I've been on both sides of this situation. For example at work I answer the phone and just say my name and unit. It just takes too much time to go through the whole hello who are you deal... Yet while calling another floor/dept and having them not answer in such a way drives me bananas! However on my cell or home phone I have been known to call strange numbers back and ask who they are, but I also tell them that I received a call from this number at such and such time. Never had anyone get mad at me when I explain why I'm asking them who they are. Next time someone calls you and asks who you are first ask them what their purpose of the conversation is. It'll make them think for a second and you might get a real answer. I've actually had quite a few interesting conversations this way.

Old 09-24-2008, 03:48 PM
4th Gear

you're so polite

What cracks me up is when they call here at work and the first thing they say is:

"Who's this?"
"This is Louie's Towing, Inc. how can I help you?" essentially the say thing I say if I answer the phone.
"Ya I know that but who are you?"
"The guy at Louie's Towing. How may I help you?"
"Ya I know that..."
"Then you called the right place - is there something I can help you with?"
"Why are you being so rude?"
"Rude? How so? I've asked you four times now how can I help you - what does that have to do with any question you may have with the company?"
"Well it's only polite to know the person who I'm speaking to..."
"I agree, and since you called me and didn't introduce yourself, that was pretty rude."

They either laugh and do so then, realizing their faux paux, or they simply hang up. lol

Quick Reply: Phone manners...