Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

PC Shutting down !! Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 09:04 AM
Default RE: PC Shutting down !! Help

that's what you need for the laptop
http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?im...lr%3D%26sa%3DN

computer just shutting down could also be due to over clocking the processor mainly on setting on games, it a built in safety feature check you have enough openings and cooler fans to keep it cooler its also a good idea to remove the power supply and clean it out once in a while they don't half suck some dust up

Old 04-28-2006, 11:17 AM
2nd Gear

IF it's not your power supply, it's your video card...

I used to have my old video card overclocked, but when I started to play the first Battlefield, my old computer did that same thing... Just a thought if your powersupply dosn't fix it.

Old 04-28-2006, 12:57 PM
2nd Gear

Do yourself a favor, DO NOT get a $30 or 40 PSU! Go for quality.

ORIGINAL: AWDaholic

Power supply's are cheap, dewd... http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?Recs=30&Nav=|c:1077|&Sort=0

Drop $30-$40 on a replacement. FWIW, I was gonna suggest either that, or updating (flashing) your BIOS.

Old 04-29-2006, 12:08 AM
Site Moderator/Ninja

ORIGINAL: KarlMarx

IF it's not your power supply, it's your video card...

I used to have my old video card overclocked, but when I started to play the first Battlefield, my old computer did that same thing... Just a thought if your powersupply dosn't fix it.
Thnx.. i thought that might be it - but Im not running any crazy games like Battlefield at the moment..
Plus I have the settings in game to med quality..

Im gonna try like avant80 ... says & take out the power supply & give it a good cleaning.
I just did some basic dust cleaning in the case / but didnt remove the power supply...

Old 04-29-2006, 01:30 AM
dan
2nd Gear

take the case off and play your game, chances are it's heat. If it still shuts off with the case open, throw a fan up that points into the case and play your game again. If it still shuts down it's not heat. Move onto something else.

I'm betting it's heat though.

Old 04-29-2006, 04:26 AM
Site Moderator/Ninja

ORIGINAL: dan

take the case off and play your game, chances are it's heat. If it still shuts off with the case open, throw a fan up that points into the case and play your game again. If it still shuts down it's not heat. Move onto something else.

I'm betting it's heat though.
K - I'll try it tonight...

Old 04-29-2006, 05:28 AM
Site Moderator/Ninja

[:@]

BAAAAH - didnt work.
I didnt think it would - its pretty well circulated in there. ive go a fan up front & two pushing out the back
so Its nice & breezy... anywhoo - looks like its power supply time.

EDIT: Just noticed, as it loses power & all the fans etc. shut off -
the small led light on the front of the case (by the power / reset button) stays on... this mean anything?

Old 04-29-2006, 06:11 AM

hmmm led stays on "have you got a parental control set" to switch off/standby timer ( a virus might also be responsible )

Old 04-29-2006, 11:23 AM
Senior Administrator

Hmmm.... OK, if you've already checked this, excuse me. If not, do this: click: Start/control panel/performance and maintainance/power options. check to make sure nothing is set to shut down after a specific time period. If that's not the issue, or, even if it is, PM me one of your emails and I'll share out my storage site where I've got a few useful tools I've run across for ferreting out virus-ii, trojans, and registry problems, key-loggers and some other kindsa stuff. I need your email addy to share it out, tho. Anybody else want access? Same thing. Use at your own risk. I'll let you in my folder. What you use, and how you use it are on you, not me. Most of them are simple programs, however, that a monkey cud work, so you lot shud be OK

Old 05-01-2006, 07:14 PM
Site Moderator/Ninja

[:'(] YAAAY Now my PC wont startup at all ! ! ! !
b-4 the final shutdown - i was able to download
& run a program that let me check the pc vitals..
All my temps were defenitely ok -
So - Im probably going to have it looked at - some local pc place,
bec. Id hate to get a power supply & then have to dig some more..

[:@] [:'(] [&o]

Quick Reply: PC Shutting down !! Help