Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.
View Poll Results: A poll
I knew what I was getting into when I had my 1st child.
37.50%
I didn't have a CLUE as to what I was in for, with my 1st child.
50.00%
I'm expecting my 1st, soon, but I don't have a CLUE.
12.50%
I'm expecting my 1st, soon, and I'm TOTALLY prepared for ANYTHING.
0%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Parents ONLY, please!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2006, 05:41 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Parents ONLY, please!

I second that... when we had my daughter, it changed me. I said this in another tread but I love doing everything with her. Playing tea parties, helping with her hair... braiding her hair. you name it.

She also does things I didn't expect... watching hockey on Saturday nights. We sit in front on the tv, each with a big bowl of popcorn and yell at the tv.

My son does these things aswell but his attention span is alot less. Can't even finish that bowl of popcorn!! My daughter loves to go fast, doesn't matter if it's in the car, on the bike or on an amuzement ride. My son is much more cautious... but he's usually running on his own power.

Bottom line... I wouldn't... no couldn't imagine my life without them. Now, everything I do IS for them and there is nothing I wouldn't do to give them what they need.

Old 03-19-2006, 06:15 PM
Senior Administrator

ORIGINAL: bluovalguy

Talk about screwing up the stats, I count as 8%

Right now I have no clue whats about to happen. But we are buying all the books and reading everything on the net we can find. I am pretty sure that no matter how much we try to prepare, when it gets here, we will be clueless.
The books can tell you about the mechanical processes. Diapering, feeding, clothing, and such, but the emotional processes, for YOURSELF and your CHILD, are organic in nature. Nature VS Nurture is a falacy (sp.), IMHO. They both play equally important roles, I believe. Our nature is prewired and determines how we react/interact with teh nurturing we're given I base this on:

The number of books I've written on the subject (0)
The number of lectures I've given, and debates I've chaired (0)
The number of people who BEAT DOWN MY DOOR for advice, over the years (0)
The percentage of omniescence I possess (0%)
Silly wild-assed ideas that have popped into my head (18,927,789, 120, 098, 576.001)

As long as you understand that the books AREN'T be all/end all tomes, but, rather guidelines to help urge us in the correct direction.

Remember, NO Op plan survives 1st contact intact, and you'll be OK. The books being, of course, your Op plan...

Old 03-20-2006, 12:56 PM
2nd Gear

I know the books wont teach me how to handle every situation, but I DEFINATLY need to learn as much as I can. I was kinda child phobic until recently. Unitl about a year ago, I thought kids wouldnt start walking until around 3 yrs old. [&o]

Old 03-20-2006, 01:50 PM
Senior Administrator

I just wanted to make sure you knew, and to give you a chance to be awe-struck at my extensive knowledge base (as listed)

Kids will AMAZE you, when you least expect it. My mother tells me I was walking at 7mos, but my twin sister dint start walking until she was almost 2 y/o... But, Mom says she useta BEAT ME with her bottle, so maybe I learbned to walk in order to escape

Old 03-20-2006, 02:21 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: AWDaholic

I just wanted to make sure you knew, and to give you a chance to be awe-struck at my extensive knowledge base (as listed)

[sm=hail.gif][sm=hail.gif] Your knowledge of the bannana gun secured my being awe-struck I am sure as time goes by, there will be many ??'s I will shoot your way. A knowledge base as extensive as that will make the unknowledgeable flock to you like GDub to a foreign supply of oil. Oh, man, please dont let that comment turn the direction of this thread.

Old 03-20-2006, 03:21 PM
2nd Gear

I knew what was going to happen, but wow does a child change your life! But i love it!