Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

opinions on job opportunity (UPDATE- THEY WANNA HIRE ME!!)

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 04:32 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: opinions on job oppertunity (AWE)

lol sorry I missed read that.

Hopefully Monday you will be on AWE's payroll!

Old 07-13-2007, 06:50 PM

Congrats my man. A new career path is always exciting.

Forgive me if i play Devil's Advocate, but hopefully you'll learn from what i'm about tocomment on, andtake it with you on future prospective job hunts. I mean this to be good-natured, so please don't take offense.

Firstly - whenever you send a business-related email, proof-read, proof-read, proof-read. There were some grammatical mistakes in your email to your prospective boss. Also, refrain from discussing your personal affairs in a business email. If you say the wrong thing, it can be taken that you appeardesperate or disorganized.

I know he said for you to email him, but you should never communicate via email when job hunting. Go a step further and pick up the phone and talk to them in person. If they aren't available, call back; never leave a message.

Enough of job-hunting 101. Again, congrats! Enjoy the new job!

Old 07-13-2007, 08:53 PM
3rd Gear

Well I mentioned the moving out thing because his main concern was my current commute. Thanks for the advice though. I haven't got the job yet, but we'll see.

Old 07-14-2007, 02:41 PM
3rd Gear

I mean we still have to discuss pay and I still have to consider other options for myself (ie: school). It depends on a lot of things from pay, to whether they want full or part time, and etc.... we'll see

Old 07-14-2007, 04:45 PM
2nd Gear

Sweet dude! New job prospects are always exciting...I myself am moving from upstate NY to Boston in 2 weeks for a change of scenery and a new job. Exciting times!

And I figured I'd weigh-in on the comments below....from a guy who has been on both sides of a job interview process...

ORIGINAL: A4 Effort

Firstly - whenever you send a business-related email, proof-read, proof-read, proof-read. There were some grammatical mistakes in your email to your prospective boss. Also, refrain from discussing your personal affairs in a business email. If you say the wrong thing, it can be taken that you appeardesperate or disorganized.

I know he said for you to email him, but you should never communicate via email when job hunting. Go a step further and pick up the phone and talk to them in person. If they aren't available, call back; never leave a message.

Enough of job-hunting 101. Again, congrats! Enjoy the new job!
Yep, proof proof proof...from a guy who writes for a living (well, sorta) typos in a resume/cover letter can be a deal-breaker. Those mistakes might not carry the same weight when applying for a job in a shop, but you should still avoid them like the plague. Read your stuff out loud, and have someone else read it if possible...PM someone here if you need a proofer!

Yeah, I'm 50/50 on the housing situation. For the most part, he's right...leave the personal business personal. But in this particular instance, since your long commute was possibly being viewed as a negative by your prospective employeer, I suppose it's relevant to show that it may be a non-factor. Meh, whatever. No harm done.

And most definitely, just phone conversations from here on out. I know plenty of people (especially busy managers) who prefer to do the first-contact via email. Just more convenient for them, and its what he requested after all. So I think that was the right move. But now that you've got your foot MORE than in the door, call him up and build that relationship.

Props either way, job well done. Fingers crossed.

Old 07-17-2007, 02:47 PM
3rd Gear

Well...they want to hire me. They sent me a pdf sheet of all the stuff I need to know about pay and etc... They want me to start on monday. Just gotta think it over. But I'm so pumped that they wanna hire me!!! wooooo!

Old 07-17-2007, 02:53 PM
2nd Gear

congrats on the chance to get in.

Old 07-17-2007, 02:59 PM
4th Gear

go for it - the commute will be nothing if it's truly a job you will enjoy doing

Old 07-17-2007, 04:34 PM
3rd Gear

yea I'm def gonna take the job. just gotta look over the employment sheet they sent me so I know all the details. [sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 07-17-2007, 10:36 PM
CLX
Zombie Defense Force

If you don't take that job, I will steal your woman. If you don't have a woman for me to steal, I'll hook you up and then steal her!

(Take the job, dude. I will love you forever. But, not in like, a manlove way. This is more like, a gangsta thing, yo!)

Quick Reply: opinions on job opportunity (UPDATE- THEY WANNA HIRE ME!!)