Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

opinions on job opportunity (UPDATE- THEY WANNA HIRE ME!!)

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 01:59 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: opinions on job oppertunity (AWE)

Well Todd called me on Friday to talk to me. He wanted to make sure that I was dedicated to a long drive for an entry level job that wouldn't really involve me working on like high end cars or anything right off the bat. So he told me to think about it and to e-mail him with my decision. So I did.

"So after a little bit of thought, I would still like to fill this position. I'd like to come down sometime this week for perhaps a quick tour of where I'd would be working if hired, discuss things like wages, and to conduct an in-person interview if you wished. My best days this week would be Tuesday, Thursday, or Friday.

I understand this isn't some glorious job where I get to work on high end cars right off the bat; but this is an industry that I'd like to get into, and I see this as a perfect opportunity to do so. I have to start somewhere right?

On a side note...I've been looking to move out of my home for a little while now. I just so happen to find out that a friend of mine that I met through get-togethers for some Audi Forums (and Waterfest) is looking for another roommate. His house is in Hamilton, NJ, and that would be about 40 minutes from your shop. I don't want to get ahead of myself here, but that is something I am also looking into this week. "

-Matt

his response.

Matt,

"I like your attitude.

Friday would be best for us. Are you available around 12:30pm for an interview and test?"

Sweet.

Old 07-11-2007, 02:07 PM
3rd Gear

Hell yeah Matt. Do it, do it

Old 07-11-2007, 02:12 PM
3rd Gear

haha I can't tell you how bummed I was at first because I hadn't heard from them for two straight days. I was about to call them today, but he had replied.

Old 07-11-2007, 03:52 PM

Congrats man, that sounds like a dream.

If I found an opportunity here in Toronto I may be doing the same thing but its hard to drop out of university and jump into the deep end on your own like that. Huge respect for you right now and you may have motivated me to do something similar...

Old 07-12-2007, 08:55 PM
SoCal Crew Member

right on Matt.... glad to hear the good news[sm=smiley20.gif]

-during your "interview/tour"be sure to emphasize that you are passionate about working in the automotive feild... and that's what you love.... because that's what makes our world go round...

Old 07-12-2007, 10:04 PM
4th Gear

That rocks! I personally would of left out "got to start somewhere right?" But I hope everything goes nice and smooth.

Old 07-12-2007, 10:16 PM
4th Gear

Awsome stuff, really glad your going for it

Old 07-12-2007, 10:25 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: new2me

That rocks! I personally would of left out "got to start somewhere right?" But I hope everything goes nice and smooth.
Well this is an entry level job. I have to start somewhere. He obviously liked what I said, so I'm not worried about it. He had called me on friday letting me know that this was not some glorious dream job that I was applying for. That I wasn't gonna be working directly with the high end cars that they specialize in. I would be in the fab department grinding, cutting, polishing, etc... So I was letting him know that I was aware of that fact. But that I was still determined to get this job because...well..."I have to start somewhere, right?" [8D]

I wasn't saying , "O, well...I have to start somewhere and I guess AWE will do." I was saying "I have to start somewhere in order to move up and get where I want to be." He obviously (and thankfully) understood that.

Old 07-13-2007, 04:13 PM
3rd Gear

So I had the interview and test today. Went real well. After the interview I had to sign an insurance waiver, and I was brought back to the fabrication area. They had some scrap pieces for me to work on. They had me grind the inside of a weld to make the two pieces smooth out to one piece inside. Then they had me polish that piece on the small polish wheels. Then had me polish a bigger piece on the gigantic polishing wheel of death. The foreman seemed to like the work i did, especially for the first time ever really metal working. After that he showed me the rest of the shop area, where they keep the finished parts, and etc...

So all in all it went really well, and I'm really excited about it. I just have to wait for a call back from the owner. Cross them fingers for me![sm=icon_quiet.gif]

Old 07-13-2007, 04:22 PM
3rd Gear

Hell yeah man CONGRATS!! Hopefully you get confirmation soon

Quick Reply: opinions on job opportunity (UPDATE- THEY WANNA HIRE ME!!)