Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

opinions on job opportunity (UPDATE- THEY WANNA HIRE ME!!)

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 05:20 PM
3rd Gear
Default opinions on job opportunity (UPDATE- THEY WANNA HIRE ME!!)

So I have been talking to Todd Sager at AWE about a position they have open for a fabrication apprentice. Basically I'd be doing prep work on parts for assembly by the actual fabricators. So I'd be doing grinding, cutting, mandrel bending, polishing, maybe some CNC machining, etc...

The biggest problem they found, which I knew would come up, is that I live about 55 miles away. Which via 202 from my house takes about 1hr 20mins. Plus I'd have to be there at 7am, which would pretty much mean I'd have to leave around 5:30am from here M-F.

I'm looking for something that's gonna actually interest me and motivate me. Right now what I'm doing (music major) isn't doing that as much as I thought. So after a long talk with my Dad about things I randomly checked AWE's site and saw this job opening. I think this could be a great opportunity for me to get started in the field and perhaps move on up in the field down the road.

Hell...no risk no reward right?

Old 07-06-2007, 05:52 PM
Default RE: opinions on job oppertunity (AWE)

Ok to tell you from someone for expierence. I would go for it. It will give you a chance to get inside the industry. It is a long drive and I have done those type of drives before but you can always move and if your major is not for you then you should do it. Just my opinion, when you like your job, life is much easier.

Old 07-06-2007, 06:08 PM
3rd Gear

Go for it. If it something you enjoy, then you should be a happier.

If you decide to go for it, update us on how it's going.

Old 07-06-2007, 06:19 PM

Agreed. I was an Electrical Engineering major and didn't like the field much. There was a great culinary school at the other end of town, and that was all it took. BTW, I've done huge commuting for years and it does suck at times, but you get used to it.

Cheers!

Old 07-06-2007, 06:37 PM

Agreed, I was a journalism Major now in Advertising. Your major doesn't matter realy and this may lead you on to the path for the right major even if it takes longer.

Old 07-06-2007, 06:39 PM
3rd Gear

I would say go for it. AWE is a great company and getting a job at all in this multi-million (if not billion) dollar industry is golden, esp. if it's a interst of yours. Great opportunity, go for it!!!

Old 07-06-2007, 08:56 PM
4th Gear

Yea like everyone else said, go for it. Nothing tried nothing done.

Old 07-06-2007, 09:21 PM
3rd Gear

Thanks for all the input guys, I really appreciate it. The next step is I'll leave a message for Todd for him to receive monday morning. I'll ask to come down sometime during the week to see the facility (I've been there, but haven't seen the machine shop areas or anything) and conduct some kind of interview if he wishes. I know these chances to enter the industry don't come along too often, especially when you're not really trained. So I really wanna pounce on this. Plus Baconbait just let me kno he lives 45mins from AWE and is looking for a roommate....that would be quite groovy if I get the job. Don't wanna get ahead of myself though.

Old 07-06-2007, 09:25 PM
SoCal Crew Member

plus one more... you'll get used to the drive, hell you migh even enjoy it... should be nice and crisp at that time in the morning and you'll beat traffic..... get your foot in the door and see where the next step lies... could be a dream come true. good luck, keep us posted and see what's up with the AF discounts!! hehe

Old 07-06-2007, 11:36 PM
3rd Gear

Yes, don't count your chickens before they hatch[8D]. Ok that was a bit cheesy but silly none-the-less. Good luck!!

Quick Reply: opinions on job opportunity (UPDATE- THEY WANNA HIRE ME!!)