Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Opinion on new Audi designs

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 11:11 AM
1st Gear
Default Opinion on new Audi designs

Okay I am gonna rant, but I gotta vent.

First thing, what is with Audi (exterior) designers lately, this is personal opinion here, but I like the old (2001 and earlier) A4, the car was very distinctive and very subtle at the same time. You could tell with a quick glance at the back end this was a high end piece of German engineering. Now a quick glance at the back end and you don’t know if it’s a Ford or a Honda or what.

Okay that’s four years old, but the front end! Holy smokes, what the hell is up guys? I look at the front of the 2005 and am not sure if the car is gonna eat me or something. That is not an air intake, that’s a Jet intake, just put some proper wings on the thing and require a fixed wing license to operate and we’re in the airforce.[:'(]

Rant number two: Gas is really damned expensive, I could explain the macroeconomic reasons, China, decline in supply, etc etc. But in an age when SUV sales are declining, Smart cars and Hybrids, for example the Prius, are sell outs, what the fudge is Audi doing moving from a 1.8 to 2.0 L engine? Yes its very cool that we have 255 Hp instead of 170 Hp but lets get real here, I can hardly afford 91 Octane and now to please what is, lets face it, a niche market (people who want powerful engines over fuel economey). Audi will do nothing to improve air quality in our cities nor the ability of Audi owners to actually pay for the cars in the first place.[:@]

You know what the problem with mechanical engineers is, they are too much like civil engineers. Whereas a civil engineer never drives over bridges or enters a skyscraper (yes I know more than a few civil engineers who are afraid of their creations), a mechanical engineer never actually drives! (Yeah I have an M. Eng, buts its in Computer Networks.)

Old 05-04-2005, 11:27 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Opinion on new Audi designs

I first started looking seriously at Audi when the b5 design came out. I immediately liked it. When the b6 platform came out, I was very dissapointed. I thought that the b6 lacked any evolutionary links to the b6 and it seemed a bit less distinctive.

Now a couple of years later, the b6 is growing on me (of course it helps that I have one!). I still don't like how the front and rear quater panels are joined to the front and rear bumpers, but overall I think it is a cleaner/sleaker design.

When the b7 came out, my first reaction was not too positive, but I would imagine over time I will again start to apprciate it.

I think the best new designs challange us a bit, and can take some getting used to.

Old 05-04-2005, 03:36 PM
6th Gear

Ummm the 2.0t puts out 200 hp, not 255. The 3.2 puts out 255hp. The 2.0t has better fuel economy than the 1.8t and has more power and tuning potental. FSI technology is awesome and saves fuel by being much more efficient. If you are crying about the price of gas, then you probably shouln't be driving an Audi in the first place. There are cars that are cheap on fuel - a honda or toyota. These are performance luxury sedans here, not grocery getters.

Have you seen the front end in person? It is much better than pictures show, trust me. I hated it too at first, but now I am in love with it.

Old 05-04-2005, 04:04 PM
5th Gear

i can't say this enough in regards to the B7....go see one in person! you'll fall in love...imo it's got a lot more B5 style than the B6

Old 05-04-2005, 08:14 PM
5th Gear

I dunno, the b6 grew on me in a hurry, after my dad bought one... it drives way nicer than a b5 does. (both have sport pkg)... but I still prefer the aesthetics of my b5, over his b6. The new b7's... hmm. I saw one in a parking lot the other day... they are very clean, and although the front end is better in person, I am still not crazy about it. I think, if you got rid of the chrome around the "jet intake" it'd look a hell of a lot better. Take a look at the RS6 pic posted a few days ago... I think the intake edge is still chrome, but it looks the same colour as the paint, and IMO looks a LOT better. What do you think jest? any plans of blacking out the chrome? I think it'd look incredible.

Old 05-05-2005, 12:45 AM
4th Gear

i love the look of the new B7, but yeah, it looks amazing without the chrome surround. whatcha think jest?

Old 05-05-2005, 01:00 AM
4th Gear

s'cuse my laziness... i just ran a quick bead and changed the opacity... but this is the general idea

my vertict: get the sandpaper and duplicolour!

Old 05-05-2005, 01:02 AM
4th Gear

Hey spency

Old 05-05-2005, 01:03 AM
4th Gear

...i love you too...?

Old 05-05-2005, 03:10 AM
Administrator

i like the B7 now you;ll love it when u see it in person and drive it